DTS Headphone:X - surround sound for your headphones
Jun 18, 2013 at 12:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

PurpleAngel

Headphoneus Supremus

'Man of Steel' soundtrack: New tech simulates surround sound through headphones

http://music-mix.ew.com/2013/06/11/man-of-steel-hans-zimmer-soundtrack/

Jul 5, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #3 of 17
Headphone:X It has been presented at CES 2013 ( Januarry). I wonder when I will be able to enjoy this sound. 
Man of Steel soundtrack is the first sound with Headphone:X but there is no device(native or emulated) to play it... yet.

Jul 19, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #4 of 17
I'm somewhat surprised people aren't talking about this more than these few posts. I demo'd the Z+ app this evening and I have to say what I heard sounded very impressive, considering it was coming from my iPhone. Soundstage was very noticeable. And this was on my Mad Dogs, which aren't known for a large soundstage.

Jul 19, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #5 of 17
Before anyone asks "How is this any different from other virtual surround sound?" DTS Headphone:X is made for producers, not consumers. The concept is not new. What separates this apart from other "generic" virtual surround apps is the calibration part of the process. Only engineers and producers have access to their studio for calibration, not consumers. Whether DTS Headphone:X takes off or not will depend on whether producers adopt it, consumers being second.

For both consumers and producers, there is the non-portable Smyth Realiser. With the artist's permission, you can take it to their studio and calibrate it there. You'll get the ultimate experience this way.

Realistically, not many folks are going to buy a Smyth Realiser (not even portable) and go out and calibrate it. All I can hope for is that producers do adopt virtual surround. Otherwise, it's the smyth realiser.

Jul 19, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #6 of 17
I'm hopefully Sony will add DTS Headphone X to the Play station.

Jul 20, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:
You want to use a Playstation to record music in a recording studio? What kind of mic preamps and ADC (analog-to-digital converter) are you going to use with it?

No I would use the Play station for gaming, as Play Station seem to have DTS support and as DTS Headphone X is being incorporated into gaming headsets.
I would assume Sony is planing on releasing games that incorporate DTS Headphone X.
Offer something the xBox does not have.

Jul 20, 2013 at 3:40 AM Post #9 of 17
DTS Headphone:X is not hardware-related. That has nothing to do with headsets or the console. That's like asking Sony to support Unreal Engine, or Asus LCD monitor to "incorporate" Frostbite Engine. The DTS support on Sony allows you to physically support 7 speakers and a woofer; If you wanted 11 speakers, then that's Sony's department and not anything the game devs can do about. DTS Headphone:X is virtual (i.e. software), that's the game devs' department, and it has nothing to do with hardware compatibility or support. So don't ask Sony, ask the game developers.

Secondly, the problem with games is that the environment is not static. It's very dynamic. You move around, the sound changes. DTS Headphone:X only works on static sound (i.e. music). I think there's an API out there for game developers who want to use virtual binaural 3D sound. That of course is extremely taxing on the CPU as everything is done real-time. If that's the case, then it's an opportunity for companies like Creative Labs to provide a solution for that. The APU (audio processing unit) would finally be worthy of being up there with the CPU and GPU and they're not cheap.

Edit: http://www.head-fi.org/t/593050/the-nameless-guide-to-pc-gaming-audio-with-binaural-headphone-surround-sound

Though, none of them are perfect, but it'll do.

Mar 11, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #15 of 17
I'm sorry I did not make myself clear,I was trying to get people to discuss the headphones X DTS. and if anyone would like to comment, about X dts. or Listen to it.?
Ok thanks,

I am in... I read somewhere that Qualcom is integrating DTS H: X on their solutions.

Is there an Updated thread on this?

Also I would like to know about Dolby Atmos. Lenovo A7000 has it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back