DTS\DD from a soundcard to the DAC\Amp? Aune T1 = No sound in movies?
Jan 5, 2014 at 5:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

exSpire

Head-Fier
Hey
I've ordered the Aune T1, I'll connect it to my PC and 'll be using it for movies and games (not only music).

I read a bit here and there but I still don't understand so I need your help!
I'm a bit confused. I read that DTS\DD simply won't work with USB and that I might need to connect the soundcard with the DAC.

Thanks for any help!

The Aune T1 doesn't have S\PDIF In, so it means I won't have sound in AC3\DTS movies?

Jan 5, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #2 of 3
This is out of my area of expertise, so I hope someone else will help explain. The DTS/DD isn't going to be handled by the Aune T1 - it simply doesn't have the decoders necessary to handle it. It really hasn't got anything to do with USB per se. Even if you use your multichannel soundcard to decode the DTS/DD, if you feed it out of the soundcard into a stereo amp, then you will lose the multichannel - it is all downmixed to stereo. Look at it this way: 5.1 channel audio means you have 5 speaker channels and 1 subwoofer channel. In a typical home theater receiver, the digital DTS/DD signal is fed from a source (a DVD/blu ray or HD TV receiver or whatever) into the receiver. The HT receiver decodes the digital DTS/DD signal and converts it into the separate analog channels. The subwoofer signal is sent out the line level subwoofer jack. The rest of the channels are sent through the receiver's amplifiers and out the 5, 6 or 7 speaker jacks.

OK - so how would that work with headphones? Well, it won't - at least not in the same way. The digital signal would be decoded, but instead of keeping each of the channels separate, they would be combined into left & right stereo signals.

Actually, every DD/DTS audio track ALSO has a conventional stereo track as part of the signal. If you set your source (DVD or whatever) to output in two channel stereo instead of DD/DTS, then you will get the stereo signal without the need to decode the digital DD/DTS signal at all. That's what I would do - I would simply tell your playback device to use 2-channel audio.

Does this make sense? If not, hopefully someone will clarify what I am trying to say!

Jan 6, 2014 at 5:45 AM Post #3 of 3
It makes sense but I read someowhere that there might not be sound at all, or that sound will just be garbled up and unusable.
If it was just downmixed to stereo and I'd still enjoy it, then I'm fine with that.. but I'm affraid it'll be worse.

I read that S/PDIF would solve the problem, it will have the DSP for all the effects and it'll be fed into the DAC.

How is that possible that nobody here has a a simple DAC and watches movies on his PC?

Edit:

My source is just movies that I download in 720\1080p.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back