DTS a dying format?
Jan 4, 2007 at 6:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

nysulli

500+ Head-Fier
i can't recall the last dvd i bought that had a dts track, nor a 6.1/7.1 one

anyone else notice this? or know anything about it

my guess would be something to do with HD and blu ray, but...

Jan 4, 2007 at 6:15 AM Post #2 of 16
Yeah, I was going through my collection looking for a test disc, and I had to sort through a whole bunch before I could find one with DTS. The Bourne Identity. And the later Bourne Supremacy does NOT have DTS. Go figure.

I don't understand how it's different from dolby digital, myself.

Jan 4, 2007 at 6:27 AM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by trains are bad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I was going through my collection looking for a test disc, and I had to sort through a whole bunch before I could find one with DTS. The Bourne Identity. And the later Bourne Supremacy does NOT have DTS. Go figure.

I don't understand how it's different from dolby digital, myself.

yeah, same goes for the pirates of the caribbean,first one has a dts track, dead mans chest doesn't

generally DTS sounds richer and a little more detailed, but like anything else, just depends on how well its mastered

other major difference is the sampling rate, dolby is 48khz, dts is 48/96 scalable, and also has a less lossy compression then dolby

Jan 4, 2007 at 7:27 AM Post #4 of 16
I'm not too sure that DTS is a dying format on DVDs. Quite a couple of discs I bought recently had DTS - including many old Hong Kong films where I'm not sure remastering in DTS adds anything to the enjoyment of the film. Examples :

- The Dec 2006 Region 3 Fortune Star Digitally Remastered release of John Woo's Bullet In The Head has a DTS track.

- Likewise the Region 3 Fortune Star Digitally Remastered re-release in Nov 2006 of Sammo Hung's The Prodigal Son also has a DTS soundtrack (though their previous budget line release of the film probably did not).

- The Japanese WWII flick Yamato I bought in Nov 2006 (Region 3 - Hong Kong) also offers DTS on top of standard Dolby Digital 5.1.

- The Region 3 Hong Kong version of Shinobi released in the summer of 2006 features a DTS track.

I also noticed that US films released as Hong Kong Region 3 DVDs have DTS. For example, the Resident Evil : Apocalypse disc I have has DTS, while I believe the Region 1 US version does not (though please correct me if I am wrong). Maybe this is a Region 3 thing
confused.gif

Then again, the US Region 1 DVD version of The Proposition does have DTS.

What I do find true is that very few cinemas in Hong Kong had DTS systems installed. Don't know whether this is true for cinemas in the US or Europe - but if few multiplexes have DTS systems then why should new films come with DTS as a standard? In this case, the studios need to re-master a DTS soundtrack specifically for the DVD release, which obviously means extra cost to them.

Jan 4, 2007 at 8:02 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

generally DTS sounds richer and a little more detailed, but like anything else, just depends on how well its mastered

I think it's just with America and region 1 discs. When I go to my asian video shops, the other region DVDs of American films have better covers and DTS tracks.

The last DVDs I bought:

"rob-b-hood" with Jackie Chan is region 3, with Cantonese DTS.
"POTC: dead man's chest" region 1, DD.
"dog bite dog" with edison chen and sam lee is region free, but has Cantonese DTS also.

Jan 4, 2007 at 11:09 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by nysulli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah, same goes for the pirates of the caribbean,first one has a dts track, dead mans chest doesn't

I was brought Dead Mans Chest for Christmas and watched it a couple of days ago. Although it doesn't mention on the DVD itself that it has DTS where it explains it has Dolby Digital (although it does have the DTS icon in the corner) I was able to choose it when I played it back ... so yeah, some still do have DTS audio.

Jan 4, 2007 at 1:40 PM Post #7 of 16
I got a whole load of Hong Kong DVD's recently, and like others have said virtually everyone has DTS. Dunno why, but they definitely seem to like DTS over in Hong Kong.

Jan 4, 2007 at 4:21 PM Post #8 of 16
i watched "minority report" in glorious dts just last night. man what a sinister movie. compared to the dd track, dts was like, "hellloooo midrange!"

Jan 4, 2007 at 7:30 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i watched "minority report" in glorious dts just last night. man what a sinister movie. compared to the dd track, dts was like, "hellloooo midrange!"

thats how most dts soundtracks sound to me, all of a sudden the surround channels come alive along with the midrange, just gives a more "you are there" feeling to the movie

Jan 4, 2007 at 8:04 PM Post #11 of 16
Who doesn't love DTS? I have yet to hear a movie with both where I preferred Dolby...

One so so movie I watched last week with great DTS was I Robot. It was incredible. Master and Commander is still my fave though.

Explain to me why the upcoming King Kong 3 disc set doesn't have DTS? I was sure Peter Jackson and company were holding out with the first two editions, but no DTS on the Deluxe Extended Limited set???
frown.gif
Maybe we'll get DTS for the Special Deluxe Max Numbered Empire Edition set?

I don't think DTS is dying, just the studios hold back for the Special, Deluxe, or Limited whatever set to come out. It may be an assumption, but my bet is that most people that watch for DTS, have no problem purchasing the more expensive editions.

That is my theory. Anyone care to set me straight?

Jan 4, 2007 at 9:46 PM Post #12 of 16
I think it also has to do with space limitations. A lot of DVDs now feature two separate commentary tracks. Add foreign language tracks, etc. and there's probably little room left for DTS.

Jan 4, 2007 at 9:55 PM Post #13 of 16
but at the same time, look at all the dvd's that are coming on 2 discs sets with all the added features that used to be on the same disc as the movie placed onto their own disc

my guess would be again the arrival of HD formats, studios are cutting cost on the normal dvd as a result of releasing movies on multiple formats, and probably putting the majority of their effort in remastering audio/video towards the HD disc rather then the good old dvd

Jan 5, 2007 at 12:30 AM Post #14 of 16
I vaguely remember reading somewhere 3 or 4 years ago that Dolby and DTS handled their low bass frequencies differently and that a volume adjustment should be made with your subwoofer to accomodate that? Something to do with the L.F.E. feature on my preamp/decoder. Totally forget the details. I usually use DTS when available without any adjustment. Anybody else hear/remember anything about this?

Jan 5, 2007 at 12:35 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbriant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I vaguely remember reading somewhere 3 or 4 years ago that Dolby and DTS handled their low bass frequencies differently and that a volume adjustment should be made with your subwoofer to accomodate that? Something to do with the L.F.E. feature on my preamp/decoder. Totally forget the details. I usually use DTS when available without any adjustment. Anybody else hear/remember anything about this?

what i remember is for dts music dvds one should lower the subwoofer volume (not lfe) 10 db.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back