DT990's with PS4
Dec 7, 2015 at 5:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Beatwolf

Head-Fier
I want to use my DT990's with attached mic on the PS4..seeing as the controller supports a mic and audio combined mini jack in this is not a problem. However since the headphones are 250 ohm's they don't get very loud powered only by the controller, what would be the best solution here?? A fiio? USB soundcard??

Dec 8, 2015 at 1:40 AM Post #2 of 6
Astro Mix-amp connected to the PS4's optical output and USB ports.
FiiO A3 headphone amplifier ($60) daisy chained off the Astro's headphone jack.
DT990 plugged into the A3 amp.

Dec 8, 2015 at 6:21 AM Post #3 of 6
Ok is there a cheaper way... would like to avoid having to purchase the mixamp.. then it would be cheaper to get something like the Sennheiser G4me or similar and just hook it up to the controller via a dual mini-jack adapter?

Dec 9, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #4 of 6
You're going to be hard-pressed to get decent volume out of the 990s without some sort of amp attached to the PS4. I use my Custom One Pros and SHP9500s with a Boom Pro mic on my PS4, through the headset jack, and they are passably loud. I've also tested it with ATH-M50x's and a ModMic, which were also loud enough. Nothing coming out of the controller is ever really going to be deafening.

Dec 9, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #5 of 6
  Ok is there a cheaper way... would like to avoid having to purchase the mix-amp.. then it would be cheaper to get something like the Sennheiser G4me or similar and just hook it up to the controller via a dual mini-jack adapter?

Sennheiser HD558 headphones (new or used) and a Turtle Beach Earforce DSS surround sound processor (used).
Connect the TB DSS to the gaming console's optical port.

Dec 10, 2015 at 2:11 AM Post #6 of 6
I think I found a cheap Astro A40 with MixAmp pro on denmarks version of craigslist. Also bought a Fiio E12, not sure about that one though. Might return it, but then again it is a pretty nice device.

But you're right, using the controller is not very good in general, audio is just too low. Also tested out some Sennheiser G4me Zeros, even though they were the new 50ohm version they were still too low volume to use with the controller mini jack. What a shame :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back