DT990Pros, Open Headphones with Bass.
Nov 17, 2011 at 10:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

WhDemon

100+ Head-Fier
It's been over a month since I bought my Dt990Pros.

Setup -> FLACs -> M-Audio 24/96 -> Objective2 Amp -> DT990Pro

It's my second pair of headphones, I had ath-m40fs before. Before purchasing, I compared them with the DT770Pro 250ohm.

I can tell that for Open headphones, the bass is crazy. Goes low, you feel the impact on your ears but yet smooth. I didn't know what was soundstage before listening to these headphones. Instrument separation is very nice and game positioning is awesome. The only thing I can note about these headphones is the detail. Listening to a basic 240p video on youtube will make your ears bleed if there's any hissing in background. There's a slight bump in the 8Khz+. Eq it down 1-2dB and its fixed.

They sound way better than the DT770Pro. Perhaps because they are open ? The ATH-m40fs is purely mids and no bass, good for playing guitar with. I cannot play guitar with the dt990Pros because of the distortion noise.

What sounds best on these headphones:

Pink Floyd
Acoustic guitar / Folk
DubStep
Rap
Pop
Punk

What sounds average on these headphones:

Poorly mastered music.
Metal -> Can be harsh in the treble, depending on the recording.

These are amazing headphones, will keep for years. Very comfortable, coiled cable is a plus for me, can't roll over the cable with my chair
biggrin.gif

Nov 18, 2011 at 1:25 AM Post #4 of 8
Your talking to someone who plugs the ESW9 into the ZO and listens to music. Coloration can be fun with some music, not so much with other genres, but I know where Mike is coming from - sold my DJ1 Pros when the coloration started to get into my face.

Nov 18, 2011 at 1:43 PM Post #8 of 8
I have the regular DT-990's and I can pretty much agree with your review. Excellent with Pink Floyd!
When I listen to metal I use my ATH M50's instead, except for when listening to well recorded material.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back