DT990pro vs DT990 05 for electronica
Nov 6, 2007 at 12:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

hardstyler

500+ Head-Fier
What would be a better headphone for electronica in your opinion? I like my DT770pro but I would like to have a bit more soundstage, airiness and better mids. DT990pro is much cheaper here in Australia and I'm not sure the extra cost of DT990 05 is justified.

I did read that DT990 05 sound better but how much better? $150 dollars better? Because thats how much more expensive they are.

Anyone who has heard both headphones could you write some impressions and differences. Thanks.

Nov 6, 2007 at 12:23 AM Post #2 of 24
i dont know where you are getting those prices. but dt990 05 cost $270US and dt990pro cost $190US. thats $80 difference. and for $80 difference yes i would go for the dt990 05. for one i think the 05 is more comfortable(better headband imo) and looks way better. i ordered myself a pair of dt990 05 for about $260 CAD. cant wait to try them out

Nov 6, 2007 at 12:27 AM Post #3 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by arterius2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i dont know where you are getting those prices.

He said

Quote:

Originally Posted by hardstyler
DT990pro is much cheaper here in Australia and I'm not sure the extra cost of DT990 05 is justified.

I did read that DT990 05 sound better but how much better? $150 dollars better? Because thats how much more expensive they are.

Nov 6, 2007 at 12:31 AM Post #4 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by arterius2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i dont know where you are getting those prices. but dt990 05 cost $270US and dt990pro cost $190US. thats $80 difference. and for $80 difference yes i would go for the dt990 05. for one i think the 05 is more comfortable(better headband imo) and looks way better. i ordered myself a pair of dt990 05 for about $260 CAD. cant wait to try them out

I forgot to say that I am very happy with the comfort levels of DT770pro. I game with them for hours without problems. So I would assume DT990pro are the same. I also don't care about the looks.

I am really only interested in sound quality.

Nov 6, 2007 at 12:37 AM Post #5 of 24
everyone's been buying those beyer 'manufacture' custom ones... damn they look pretty!

Nov 6, 2007 at 12:39 AM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by uraflit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
everyone's been buying those beyer 'manufacture' custom ones... damn they look pretty!

Yep they sure look sexy
eggosmile.gif

Nov 6, 2007 at 7:10 AM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by hardstyler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What would be a better headphone for electronica in your opinion? I like my DT770pro but I would like to have a bit more soundstage, airiness and better mids. DT990pro is much cheaper here in Australia and I'm not sure the extra cost of DT990 05 is justified.

Anyone who has heard both headphones could you write some impressions and differences. Thanks.

The 990 Pro, contrary to their specs, are not what I would consider "open" phones (they only have a small opening in the rear of the housing). You get a bit more airiness than the 770, but nowhere near as much as a proper open phone. If you're after mids and airiness, I'd say go for the 990 05. BTW, have you considered buying a pair from US ebay, the AU$ being what it is now? I remember being able to get the 05 version shipped for AU$320 a few months back. I'm sure you could find a good deal.

EDIT: just checked ebay, and the prices aren't as good as they were when I checked a while back, but no doubt you should be able to do at least $80 cheaper than the aussie price by importing.

Nov 6, 2007 at 7:25 AM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0dhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 990 Pro, contrary to their specs, are not what I would consider "open" phones (they only have a small opening in the rear of the housing). You get a bit more airiness than the 770, but nowhere near as much as a proper open phone. If you're after mids and airiness, I'd say go for the 990 05. BTW, have you considered buying a pair from US ebay, the AU$ being what it is now? I remember being able to get the 05 version shipped for AU$320 a few months back. I'm sure you could find a good deal.

EDIT: just checked ebay, and the prices aren't as good as they were when I checked a while back, but no doubt you should be able to do at least $80 cheaper than the aussie price by importing.

Thanks for your reply.

Was the $320 headphone brand new or used? I really want to buy brand new not used. DT990 05 is $449 at headphones.com.au. Do you know anyone in Australia selling it for less than that or do you think its better to buy brand new from overseas?

EDIT: I just did a quick search on ebay and there is only 1 brand new 05 for US$329. Even when converted thats still a lot cheaper than $449. Actually I would only save AU$40.

Nov 6, 2007 at 7:53 AM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0dhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

you're wrong about how vented they are. the entire surface area of the cup is a grill with very fine silk and cotton layers inside. these cans are wide open.

Nov 6, 2007 at 7:55 AM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Thanks for your reply.

Was the $320 headphone brand new or used? I really want to buy brand new not used. DT990 05 is $449 at headphones.com.au. Do you know anyone in Australia selling it for less than that or do you think its better to buy brand new from overseas?

EDIT: I just did a quick search on ebay and there is only 1 brand new 05 for US$329. Even when converted thats still a lot cheaper than $449. Actually I would only save AU$40.

do a search on http://froogle.google.com and on http://www.buy.com. check the sellers reputation with http://www.resellerratings.com. in most cases the lowest price seller has a good rep. if not it's only an extra $30US to get them from a reputable merchant.

and to answer you. i'd say the 05's are a better buy unless it's a landslide (almost double) price difference. either way you'd have a great HP for electronica. the lack of mids won't really affect you.

Nov 6, 2007 at 8:36 AM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by emericanchaos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you're wrong about how vented they are. the entire surface area of the cup is a grill with very fine silk and cotton layers inside. these cans are wide open.

Assuming you're talking about the 990 Pro as I was, then no, it isn't. I know it looks like it's open, but the white damping cloth inside and the white grille cloth seen on the outside sandwich a white plastic blacking. There's only a small, half obscured vent in the rear. That's why I recommended the 05 version, which is better vented AFAIK (though I haven't opened up the 05 version myself).

Quote:

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, they were new. I'm pretty sure it was around AU$320-350 a while back, because they were so cheap I was planning on buying some bulk with a friend. Though back then there were a lot more sellers, I'm not sure why there aren't many being sold now. Sorry to get your hopes up.

Nov 6, 2007 at 8:50 AM Post #12 of 24
Good news:

Quote:

Our current selling price for the: Beyerdynamic - DT 990 Open-Back Headphones - 2005 Edition is $269.95.

To purchase this item at this price, click below:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/sitem/sk...3&kw=BEDT990SE

Comes to around AU$335 incl. shipping. Now I see why you can't find them below the retail price: they aren't allowed to advertise that price.

Nov 6, 2007 at 7:01 PM Post #13 of 24
whoever said the dt990 pro aren't open: have you ever seen the 990 pros? they're almost too open lol, aside from a thin plastic grill, there's nothing covering the driver except a thin soundleaking fabric.

and according to beyerdynamic, there's no sound differences between the pro and 2005 version. the only difference is the more modern look, the uncoiled cable, and a lighter clamp from the headband/headpads (and this is where the majority of the sound difference between the 990 pro and 2005 version arise from which are minimal really). this is according to a beyer rep himself.

head-fi'ers have mentioned that the 2005 version has slightly more prominent mids and a little smoother highs.

personally, i'm gonna go against the torrent and say that you should save your money and just get the pros. the difference doesn't justify the extra price especially because of the fact it's mostly cosmetic, which you said you didn't care much about.

Nov 7, 2007 at 1:01 AM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
whoever said the dt990 pro aren't open: have you ever seen the 990 pros? they're almost too open lol, aside from a thin plastic grill, there's nothing covering the driver except a thin soundleaking fabric.

990.jpg

Notice the white plastic behind the white material. The four slits of light in the middle are the vents, and are the only vents.

Nov 7, 2007 at 1:21 AM Post #15 of 24
hmm i don't remember that...been a while since i opened them i guess. my apologies.

personally i don't want to know how they would sound if they were totally open, that would be bad, they leak enough sound as it is and let in just as much. i'm happy with the way they are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back