DT990pro-250 first impressions
Nov 9, 2007 at 7:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

hardstyler

500+ Head-Fier
So I just bought DT990pro-250 and so far I'm very happy.

They really do have a U shape frequency response. Highs are very strong on this headphone. On some songs this is good but on certain electronica tracks the highs become too harsh. But mostly the highs are fine.

Mids are better than on DT770pro but not by much. I think its because the sound signature is very similar to 770. Since I listen to 99% electronica mids are not of huge importance to me but they are definitely better than 770.

The biggest difference to me is soundstage. I really like the soundstage and airiness of DT990pro. I've been mainly listening to closed phones over the past 2 years or so and now I can really appreciate the awesomness of open design
smily_headphones1.gif
Everything sounds more natural compared to dt770pro, A900 and K81DJ.

The bass is not as prominent as DT770pro as was expected but what is odd is that at the shop I demoed both 770 and 990 and 990 had MUCH stronger bass. I also noticed their 770 had one channel sounding louder the the other, so maybe they were broken.

They had a good cd player (can't remember what brand but it was better than mine for sure) connected to Behringer headphone amp with 8 channels (this one http://www.behringer.com/HA8000/index.cfm?lang=ENG) and the bass was VERY strong on that setup. I simply can't achieve that on my setup. I probably need a proper home amp.

As far as build quailty and design goes they are the same as 770pro. Indestructible and comfy. Good old Beyer style
smily_headphones1.gif

Are there any improvements I can expect to hear over time? I don't think I'll bother with burnin.

Overall I'm very happy with my purchase. I think I'm becoming a Beyer fanboy
smily_headphones1.gif
If anyone is interested I bought them at http://factorysound.com/

Nov 9, 2007 at 7:40 AM Post #2 of 24
compared with my K701, bass on DT990-2005 is aplenty. highs are brighter. just to my liking. its my headphone with "personality". believe me, my K701 spends most of his time on the stand, and well... the beyer... on my head
3000smile.gif

Nov 9, 2007 at 7:42 AM Post #3 of 24
Listening to High Contrast - Suddenly

OMG it sounds awesome on 990. So much joy and happiness
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

I tell you this hobby is AWESOME
cool.gif

Nov 9, 2007 at 7:46 AM Post #5 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by arterius2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
compared with my K701, bass on DT990-2005 is aplenty. highs are brighter. just to my liking. its my headphone with "personality". believe me, my K701 spends most of his time on the stand, and well... the beyer... on my head
3000smile.gif

Haha thats good to hear. I still want to try K701 one day though. I am a fan of big wide open soundstage.

Nov 9, 2007 at 7:50 AM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by LawnGnome /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find the DT990 bass to be weaker, but has more detail in it.

Both are great phones, but the DT990 just walks on my DT770's. Poor things must hate me now.

Well I honestly like both. Sometimes you just need that unreal amount of bass that only 770 can provide. I'll keep them both.

I am of belief that expensive headphones from well respected brands cannot be crap (don't know about Bose never heard them). You just have to find something you like. Good midrange, soundstage or whatever. Listen to different music perhaps. I'm sure I could enjoy K701 and DT880 even though I'm a basshead.

Nov 9, 2007 at 7:53 AM Post #7 of 24
Hopefully they get even better over time. Today I also ordered Arietta. Should be a good pairing with my Beyers
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 9, 2007 at 8:36 AM Post #8 of 24
are any of the 770/880/990 good for electronica (ambient stuff especially)?
These are my general impressions from the many threads: The 770 is really bass bloated? The 880 is a bit bland and too bass light? Thee 990 has piercing highs?
I'm lost in the countless revisions and models
biggrin.gif

I almost pulled the trigger on a pair of darth beyers recently but without trialing the 770s I would be tentative in such a purchase.

Does anybody recommend any particular beyer for electronic music?
The 990 sounds good, I'd just prefer not having overwhelming highs.

Nov 9, 2007 at 8:39 AM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by silencewithin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anybody recommend any particular beyer for electronic music?
The 990 sounds good, I'd just prefer not having overwhelming highs.

lol for your information the 990 does not have *overwhelming* highs. its slightly more forward and brighter than neutral, say the K701. and the bass hits a bit deeper as well. i use 990 to listen to all sorts of music. for electronica i recommend 880/990 which ever one fits your bill.

Nov 9, 2007 at 8:44 AM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by arterius2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol for your information the 990 does not have *overwhelming* highs. its slightly more forward and brighter than neutral, say the K701. and the bass hits a bit deeper as well. i use 990 to listen to all sorts of music. for electronica i recommend 880/990 which ever one fits your bill.

Thanks for your help.

Nov 9, 2007 at 8:55 AM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by yossi126 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find 880's to be too lean and neutral on electronic music (which for me should be fun and exciting).
The high end sparkle of the 990 is a real bliss in electronic (Try some goa trance with TB303 melodies
biggrin.gif
).

Yeah totally agree. I was actually dissapointed with highs on 770, they sounded kinda tame. 990 definitely delivers in that area. Its the sparkle as you said
smily_headphones1.gif
Just listening to some Hallucinogen.

Nov 9, 2007 at 9:14 AM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by yossi126 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find 880's to be too lean and neutral on electronic music (which for me should be fun and exciting).
The high end sparkle of the 990 is a real bliss in electronic (Try some goa trance with TB303 melodies
biggrin.gif
).

Quote:

Originally Posted by hardstyler
Yeah totally agree. I was actually dissapointed with highs on 770, they sounded kinda tame. 990 definitely delivers in that area. Its the sparkle as you said Just listening to some Hallucinogen.

Thanks guys, been a big help!

Nov 9, 2007 at 3:20 PM Post #15 of 24
DT990 Pro should be separated from the DT250 ed. 2005's. The Pro's are "studio" headphones with more accurate, less fun presentation, however still with a bit U-shaped response. They are great headphones IMHO and more emphasis on the frequency response ends would be a slight exaggerration IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back