DT990 vs. HD6xx
Dec 26, 2017 at 3:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

BackBoneCrusher

100+ Head-Fier
Hello guys, I made some choice and I don't know which headphone to take

I'm going to plug them into a Soundblaster AE-5 and I'll use them for gaming and music (both 50/50)

Which one should I take ? Which one have the better soundstage etc. ?

Thank you ! :smile_phones:

Dec 26, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #2 of 13
DT990 is bright and has a wide sound stage.
HD6xx is warm and has a narrow sound stage.

Both would benefit from a proper amp.

for gaming DT990>HD6xx
for music:HD6xx>DT990

YMMV

Dec 26, 2017 at 7:00 PM Post #6 of 13
The best all-round headphone for gaming, music and mixing within it's price range is the K712, be aware however that it needs a high quality dedicated DAC/Amp and the Soundblaster AE-5 won't do it justice.

If you want a better all-rounder then you're gonna have to increase your budget by quite a margin.

Dec 26, 2017 at 7:01 PM Post #7 of 13
The best all-round headphone for gaming, music and mixing within it's price range is the K712, be aware however that it needs a high quality dedicated DAC/Amp and the Soundblaster AE-5 won't do it justice.

If you want a better all-rounder then you're gonna have to increase your budget by quite a margin.

I cannot, the HD6xx + AE-5 is already exploding my budgeting, there is the K7xx out there but if I need a better amp I won't take it

Dec 26, 2017 at 7:08 PM Post #9 of 13
I cannot, the HD6xx + AE-5 is already exploding my budgeting, there is the K7xx out there but if I need a better amp I won't take it
You need a better DAC/Amp for the HD 6XX anyway, you'll get volume with the AE-5 but you won't get the best quality, waste of a good headphone if you don't upgrade to a dedicated high quality DAC/Amp solution.

Dec 26, 2017 at 7:33 PM Post #12 of 13
Since you want something for gaming, music and mixing I say go with the K7XX for now to use with the AE-5 and then upgrade to a proper DAC/Amp in the future when you have the budget.

Yeah i'm going to upgrade in the futur, I asked some infos about the K7xx and they said that the headphone have a pretty cold sound and personally I hate that and he's more hard to drive than the HD6xx... but he have a better soundstage

Dec 26, 2017 at 7:38 PM Post #13 of 13
990 is probably one of the most typical V shaped fun sounding headphone with recessed mids but amazing high and low end. I’ve owned both DT990 and HD650. If you want a wide soundstage and crisp highs and bass with big slams, go with 990, it sounds great for classical music as well as electronic music. But if you enjoy vocals and a deeper vertical soundstage or more accurate treble and bass, go with HD650. 650 is going to be less fatiguing and more mild and darker for long listening- but the initial appeal of 990’s exciting sound is definitely attention grabbing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back