DT990 vs HD595
Sep 23, 2005 at 10:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

kevhuynh

100+ Head-Fier
Anyone had a chance to listen to both and have any input?

The reviews I've read are fairly similar. They seem like pretty well balanced cans that do a lot of things well. Any differences I should be aware of?

Sep 23, 2005 at 10:54 PM Post #2 of 12
I own the dt990, but have only heard the Hd595 briefly at meets. The hd595 seems the be more refined in the Sennheiser house tradition, but not as laid back as the 580/600. I can tell you that the dt990's, are a fun cans, that do not pretend to be neutral. It's a better all around can than the SR-225, and some of the other Gardos, and can rock as hard as they do, but in a different way. They are also outstanding with other types of music as well. They are for many as comfortable as the Senn models, and some feel more comfortable. For the price point of $157.00 (Amazon.com) they are hard to beat.

- augustwest

Sep 23, 2005 at 11:44 PM Post #3 of 12
Sep 24, 2005 at 12:09 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by sgrossklass
Take a look at the frequency responses of both, which basically confirm "mostly neutral" vs. "fun":
http://graphs.headphone.com/index.ph...nnheiser+HD595
http://graphs.headphone.com/index.ph...rdynamic+DT990
The DT990 has a frequency response not totally unlike the K240S, another "groovalizer":
http://graphs.headphone.com/index.ph...KG+K240+Studio
(Note that the updated DT990 that's supposed to be out in November may not sound like the current version.)

Interesting. I actually enjoyed my AKG 240's much more than the AKG271's i'm using right now. I never heard of the 595's bbeing described as "neutral" per se. I guess it's all relative...

Sep 24, 2005 at 3:17 AM Post #5 of 12
The HD595 have a more neutral, airy sound, are more refined sounding, don't clamp as tight and are better all rounders compared to the DT990Pro. The DT990Pro have a "thicker" sound and stronger bass, and are better constructed. I prefer the DT990 most of the time, but it's a personal choice.

Sep 25, 2005 at 12:18 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3lusiv3
The HD595 have a more neutral, airy sound, are more refined sounding, don't clamp as tight and are better all rounders compared to the DT990Pro.

yeah true, but the HD595 still sounds fake compare to the Dt880 and K501.
280smile.gif

Sep 25, 2005 at 1:53 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by sgrossklass
Take a look at the frequency responses of both, which basically confirm "mostly neutral" vs. "fun":
http://graphs.headphone.com/index.ph...nnheiser+HD595
http://graphs.headphone.com/index.ph...rdynamic+DT990
The DT990 has a frequency response not totally unlike the K240S, another "groovalizer":
http://graphs.headphone.com/index.ph...KG+K240+Studio
(Note that the updated DT990 that's supposed to be out in November may not sound like the current version.)

Yes, the DT990 is a "fun headphone", but the headphones graphs shows "too much" of that. Some of this response goes imho in the soundstage.
I quote myself from another thread:

Quote:

Originally Posted by amartignano
dt880990hd6507hv.jpg

Watching [the graphs] without listening (usual a very unfortunate operation, it's better to listen and then to see which can be the eventual links with the measures), it could be pointed out that the DT990 has a particularly present sound in low range, almost "swollen", empty in the mid-high, range and a peaky increasy in high range. But this is not exactly what I've heard .
We can analyze it better after the listenings: what we can watch as an excessive increase in low range is so wide, that is probable that our brain takes that as "basal" level and notices instead a sweet decrease in mid and midhighs range (but the truth imho is not even this, although is the "right way", but there is more).
The increase in the highs is decidedly less frightful to listen than what can appear from the measure, and it has already described before.
We can try to analyze better: for the low range we have heard its roundness and pleasantness in the "underlining of the depth"; in the graph we see well the "maximum" at 50-70 Hz. Correct.
I think that in the mids and midhighs response, there is the "secret" of the soundstage of the DT990. The decrease in this range of frequency is interpreted by the brain (at least by mine) like soundstage-info, like air, distance and depth. Perhaps between all the cans that I've heard, the DT990 is the only one "truly diffuse field equalized". In fact, at listening there is not decrease in mids, all seems (is) balanced, but the soundstage is truly amazing.
This is my hypothesis, and is index of an accurate and very "smart" design of the headphone, in order to achieve the maximum pleasure of listening. Imho Beyer had a very good result in this, with a loss in "correctness" that is almost meaningless in normal home listenings.

bye
Andrea

Sep 25, 2005 at 2:00 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3lusiv3
The HD595 [...] don't clamp as tight [...] compared to the DT990Pro.

Probably... but the DT990 (not Pro) version doesn't clamp tight, on the contrary they are almost "loosy", and very very comfortable (with a sound that's likely the same of the Pro version).
wink.gif

bye
Andrea

Sep 25, 2005 at 3:06 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Yes, the DT990 is a "fun headphone", but the headphones graphs shows "too much" of that. Some of this response goes imho in the soundstage.

A +6dB bass boost at 100Hz is not "too much" to me, but only ...what it is.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 25, 2005 at 5:02 PM Post #10 of 12
Always-hungry-trolls never get fed enough, don't you?
wink.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 25, 2005 at 5:52 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Always-hungry-trolls never get fed enough, don't you?
wink.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Could you explain "hungry-trolls"
confused.gif

Sep 25, 2005 at 6:17 PM Post #12 of 12
I had the 770-po and they had awesome bass but the mids were not so good and the cans were very heavy plus the ear pads were to big on my ears. The 595 has much better balanced with a very good bass and are it seems allot lighter with way better comfort in the ear cups.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back