DT990 VS 770 VS K701/2 VS HD598 VS AD500X
May 1, 2018 at 11:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

tfninja

New Head-Fier
Please help me to choose which.

They will be powered by a Soundblaster Z, which says it can power 600ohms and has an output impedence of 22ohms (i've heard).

Headphones will be used near equally for games, music and movies.
Sound stage is important and I have very eclectic music tastes, listening to every genre, even choral, but probably Nightwish more than anything else.

The price point is <£120

Previously I used Lindy hf100 (Brainwavz HM5) which I enjoyed but would like something more open, and a little better.

I would probably go for the safe choice of HD598, if it weren't for their being 50ohms so not ideal, apparently, for the output impedance of the SBZ. I *want* the k701/2 but I know this is the most dangerous choice. The DT990/770 should be fine with this soundcard, but I am turned off by the 'V' shape sound balance. I've heard good things about the 500x, but because it is far cheaper in the USA, I won't feel like i've got my moneys worth. Also I wonder if it has the same issue with output impedance.

Feel free to make recommendations.

May 1, 2018 at 11:32 PM Post #2 of 8
Why are the AKG's 'dangerous?' How important is bass to you? Yes, the 598 is not ideally matched from a damping factor point of view (with the SBZ, that is). I personally have not heard the AT, so cannot help with that one--sorry. I do like the AD900x, though.

Last edited:
May 2, 2018 at 12:11 AM Post #3 of 8
Why are the AKG's 'dangerous?' How important is bass to you? Yes, the 598 is not ideally matched from a damping factor point of view (with the SBZ, that is). I personally have not heard the AT, so cannot help with that one--sorry. I do like the AD900x, though.

Dangerous because alot of people don't like how they sound, either the soundstage is unnatural, too many flaws are brought out, or its 'tinny'. Other people say that they won't sound good without much better equipment.
Bass isn't that important. More important are mids and highs. I still like bass though. The bass on the Brainwavz HM5 i've been using has been fine

May 2, 2018 at 3:21 AM Post #5 of 8
Recent AKG K702 has more bass presence than recent AKG K701 in my experience.
Vocals are just a tad more focused on K702. All in all, I think the K702 is the safer bet between the two.

Not sure if you'll like one of these with Nightwish though.
AKG K712 is a much safer pick since it's fuller sounding and similarly capable technically speaking.

May 4, 2018 at 1:03 PM Post #6 of 8
I said to hell with it and got the k702s. Scan were selling AKG refurbished ones for £84 with free DPD delivery, so I saved a buck there. Apart from the box which was a little tatty, they're just like new, still with plastic to peel off around the cans.
Have to say, I am totally happy :)
Even using the SB-Z, it still goes loud enough to vibrate the cans, and sounds much better than the Brainwavz hm5 i've been using. Some tracks i'd like to be able to push the volume just 10% more, but other tracks would be too loud more than 70%, so it's a fine trade-off.
I notice the clipping and other artifacts of bad recordings like everyone says, but the clarity and separation is totally worth it. I found the bass to be perfectly good, much better than the HM5 which are closed, although the bass boost function in the SB-Z software makes practically zero difference so I am guessing this shows that the card has very little to spare in powering these, but that's fine, they're a big upgrade as it is and if I get an AE-5 or something there will be more to come.
Thanks for the help guys!

Last edited:
May 4, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #7 of 8
Glad to hear that! If you like Nightwish on your AKG K702 make sure to check Lemuria and Sirius B (albums) from Therion.

Happy Listening!
Me x3

May 4, 2018 at 6:24 PM Post #8 of 8
Thanks
I've been recommended Thorion before, and tried them again just now.. They just don't do it for me. I think it is the repetitive guitar and drum loops.. but, if we're going to suggest random music, try....
Smetana Moldau
Pavane op.50.

and just for fun,
the 1000 year old Icelandic hymn 'Hear, Smith of the Heavens' sung in a trainstation
:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back