Dt990 Pro
Mar 21, 2020 at 9:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Ash Telecaster

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everybody,

A while ago I bought some used Dt990 pros. They were a good price and looked brand spanking new. I couldn't resist.

I have the infamous hd650s and haven't got around to using the 990s until now. They are pretty grainy in the upper mids. Do these things need some burn in.? They don't sound blown. Maybe they are defective.

I have been using a Fiio k5 amp but I've been itching to upgrade. It's a nice amp but it is kind of weak on more demanding headphones. I have a Magni in the mail. I wonder if that Will make a difference.

Interested in your thoughts,

Thank you

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2020 at 3:41 PM Post #2 of 3
The short answer is yes, they need burn-in. Every Sennheiser I've tried has sounded grainy when new. I'm currently using the HD58X and also have the DT990 pro, and the 58X is grainier, but has improved quite a bit over time. Let them run and you'll be happier.

Mar 21, 2020 at 5:21 PM Post #3 of 3
Thanks Filter. I phrased that poorly. The dt990s are grainy. But as an update, I ran them over night and they improved some. Then Today I got the opportunity to play them through a better headphone amp and the difference was significant. I am convinced the guy I bought them from never used them and they still need more breaking in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back