DT990 Pro vs. K601 - Opinions needed
Mar 4, 2008 at 3:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

BoilermakerFan

Headphoneus Supremus
I am building several Millett MAX amps so each will have a different sound signature. One will use Muse ES and K42 caps so it will have more bass slam. Another will use Black Gates and VitQ caps for a more refined, detailed sound. A third will be built with Muse KZ and vitQ caps, but different DB transistors than the BG version. Sources will be varied from my Pro-Ject turntable and Grado Gold cartridge, CDP, iPod, XM radio, and music files direct from my PC.

My music tastes are also varied: Rock, Alt Rock, Classic, Jazz, Folk, Punk, Techno, Latin Jazz, etc.

I've searched and searched and searched, but I haven't really seen any direct comparisons of the DT990 Pro vs. the K601s. How do they compare? I don't really want an overly technical or critical headphone, which is why I'm interested in the K601s and not the K701s. I've listened to the Grado 125s, 225s, and 325i 'phones and they were great for rock, but I did not like the way the sounded with female folk singers.

Are the DT990 Pro and K601s different enough to cover the wide range of music I listen too and justify the purchase of both from the start, or would one 'phone cover 80% or more to start, then add the second set later?

I do plan to upgrade the cable on the K601s when I buy them if that helps influence anyone's opinion. Do the DT990 Pro's benefit from a cable upgrade? I'm not a big fan of coiled cables.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back