DT990 PRO / regular - differences?
Mar 10, 2005 at 4:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

paspro

100+ Head-Fier
What is the difference between the DT990 and the DT990 PRO? The non-PRO version is much cheaper than the PRO version and I am wondering why is that. The beyerdynamic web site says has the same specs for both but it says that the PRO version is "equalized to meet diffuse field EQ requirements". Do they sound different?

Mar 10, 2005 at 7:27 PM Post #2 of 14
If I am remembering this correctly, the DT990 "Non Pro" has a bigger more comfortable headband than the DT990 Pro, with less clamping force and more headroom for adjustment. Its also slightly cosmetically different, the "Non pro" version has certain things sprayed silver.

On a sound basis, the DT990 probably sounds just slightly different, but very, very similar, due to the lesser clamping force... probably making the bass slightly less dominant, probably no bad thing IMHO.

So its mainly the headband + design thats different, the drivers are the same. But for me, if you like the DT990 sound, then I *personally* think the DT990 "Non Pro" is worth the extra, because I found the DT990 Pro was simply too tight a fit.

Hope this helps.

Mar 10, 2005 at 9:56 PM Post #3 of 14
The forks are different but they can be re-bent to a comfy position, The drivers and baffleing are the same, They sound the same.
tongue.gif

Mar 10, 2005 at 10:21 PM Post #4 of 14
The 990 Pro should have some kind of fixed equalizer inside that boosts some frequencies and lowers others, so that you have the imagination of a much greater soundstage. (Damn psychoaccoustics ... it's so easy to fool your brain
biggrin.gif
)
Maybe I try to open mine at the weekend and have a look if there is a little PCB with caps, resitors and coils inside or not. If thats the case, then you could probably remove it if you want the sound strictly in your head, or build your own to make the Consumer Class Headphone a Pro Headphone.
The Headband is a little different, but not to much. I guess it has to be a bit more confortable to sell it to normal HiFi Freaks, while for professional users it has to be as robust and easy to repair as possible. I think the comfort of the Pro is still ok. You can feel the clamping, but it is not to strong.

Edit:
I was looking at the description of the 990 Standard Version again, and noticed that they claim a "three dimensional soundstage" for that phone too. This must be new, or I was too blind to see it before. So I guess Mickey is right and both have the same driver and there is no extra PCB on the Pro. So I guess the whole thing is just clever marketing.
blink.gif
The audio NOOB does understand what three dimensional sound means, but has usually problems with technical terms. The pro user on the other hand does know the term diffusefield equalization and maybe doesnt want a consumer can, because they usually tend to fall appart in rough enviroment. So they sell the same headphone with only little optical changes and a description in other words to make most money out of both user groups
evil_smiley.gif
If that's the case, then I would recommend the cheaper one, unless you want to impress someone with a Pro phone
wink.gif

Mar 10, 2005 at 11:03 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by E.B.M.Head
Maybe I try to open mine at the weekend and have a look if there is a little PCB with caps, resitors and coils inside or not.

It would be great to know that!

Do you know for sure that diffuse field equalized cans (DT770Pro, DT990Pro, AKG K240DF, etc) have some sort of passive EQ inside?

Thanks

Mar 11, 2005 at 12:18 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Philco
It would be great to know that!

Do you know for sure that diffuse field equalized cans (DT770Pro, DT990Pro, AKG K240DF, etc) have some sort of passive EQ inside?

Thanks

The early ones, had an extra unit for that, like the stax ed-1 or ed-5. As both are not build anymore, people reconstructed a passive equalizer that was put after the amp and got very similar results. As I somehow oversaw the 3D Sound claiming in the non Pro description (and I was really studing both very well and bought the Pro because of that), I thought adding a passive EQ would be the only way to make them sound different, otherwise they would have to use two different drivers. It's possible and common to add the DF EQ into the driver characteristics nowadays, as it is really only boosting and lowing some frequencies. Thats what DSPs do too, to give you the impression of being in a small room or a church.
I now think both headphones are the same, but to really make sure i'll try to open the thing and take some pictures.

Mar 11, 2005 at 4:12 AM Post #7 of 14
There is NO EQ set-up inside either DT990's. I have recabled both. Mine and someone elses. The part number for drivers, headband, headband snap pad, cord, are all the same. The forks are different. The Pro "black ones" are a little shorter and bent in more than the "alum. ones" but can be bent out to ease the clamping effect. I find them more comfortable than the Senn 650's after three hours of use once you have rebent them which is easy to do. The plastic housings are the same. There is a strip of plastic that is added to the back of the baffel with the Beyer ID on it. On the Pro it is black plastic with white painting and on the regular it is white with black writing. And that ID strip, snaps/glues/whatever, to the same housing that they both use. You will see all of this on a parts breakdown list from Beyer for replacement parts.
tongue.gif
I paid $181 for the PRO model at ICB in Cincinnati.
icon10.gif

Mar 11, 2005 at 11:02 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikey01
There is NO EQ set-up inside either DT990's. I have recabled both. Mine and someone elses. The part number for drivers, headband, headband snap pad, cord, are all the same. The forks are different. The Pro "black ones" are a little shorter and bent in more than the "alum. ones" but can be bent out to ease the clamping effect. I find them more comfortable than the Senn 650's after three hours of use once you have rebent them which is easy to do. The plastic housings are the same. There is a strip of plastic that is added to the back of the baffel with the Beyer ID on it. On the Pro it is black plastic with white painting and on the regular it is white with black writing. And that ID strip, snaps/glues/whatever, to the same housing that they both use. You will see all of this on a parts breakdown list from Beyer for replacement parts.
tongue.gif
I paid $181 for the PRO model at ICB in Cincinnati.
icon10.gif

Thanks for this detailed examination of the two headphones!

So, acoustically, the two models are the same. Actually, the beyerdynamic UK web shop has both models at exactly the same price but in London shops and UK web shops the PRO model is available for a much lower price. Weird...

Mar 11, 2005 at 2:34 PM Post #9 of 14
Hold the phone you forgot the biggest difference.

Pro - pig tail cables

Non-pro - straight cables

I don't know about you but finding Non-pro 990s in the States is tuff. 770s, ya throw a stick. Do you have a URL for a U.S. distro for the non-pro 990s?
basshead.gif

Mar 11, 2005 at 6:54 PM Post #12 of 14
Are the DT990s the current FOTM as I find it odd that they seem fairly cheap (especially in the UK) and getting good comments?

Perhaps I'm just cynical as experience usually shows that we in the UK rarely get a good deal.

Like the recent Glass toslink cables still cheaper to get from US when the postage for 3 is $23!

Mar 11, 2005 at 9:45 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by StevieDvd
Are the DT990s the current FOTM as I find it odd that they seem fairly cheap (especially in the UK) and getting good comments?

Perhaps I'm just cynical as experience usually shows that we in the UK rarely get a good deal.

Like the recent Glass toslink cables still cheaper to get from US when the postage for 3 is $23!

Actually we all just have a huge amount of time on our hands and decided to build a plot to concive you.
eek.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Mar 11, 2005 at 9:47 PM Post #14 of 14
Here are the promised pics:
990-Driver-1.jpg

990-Driver-2.jpg

Sorry for the bad picture quality, I had to take them with a crappy webcam, because my digicam is defect.
As you can see there is no passive EQ, it's integrated into the driver.

I today got the two Stax Headphones and the Stax Amp that I won on eBay, and I must admid Beyer is right with stating that 990 is close to a electrostatic phone. The Lambda Pro has a bigger soundstage (even without DF EQ), is much quicker and more flat, but appart from that it has the same ammount of details, the same cold sound and also this big frequency range. Sure, the Stax is in a different league, but the 990 is not too far behind and for the money a real steal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back