Head-Fier
025B9EC1-91D3-4430-9E85-E4203030645D.jpeg
26CCCC09-30A6-4176-8513-43597AEB21C3.jpeg
7B506074-8AA8-4040-9117-9868742F51EF.jpeg
88A2E959-8827-422A-828C-6B9754594277.jpeg
F402BD6B-96B8-4185-9AA0-5608A13CDE44.jpeg
67DF65CD-E443-41BF-A3D7-27353CC6288F.jpeg
87D26397-144C-4F12-8CC9-3ED7C150617A.jpeg
Today, I replaced the original attached cable by a connector. At the same time, I take the chance to make this guy balanced.

Here some pics.
Good day.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2019 at 4:27 PM Post #3 of 8
Hi, this might be asked 10000 times so excuse me if so..

i wondered about how this would be balanced? balanced as in same amount of cable going to each cup ? since balanced in recording industry means something different. witch is a really nice feature but not so much useful if you talk way above line level voltages with very short cable lengths. no offence just a question.

I just see this often mentioned and i wondered what peopel mean by balanced in this case.

still looks very nice ! like the mini xlr's !

Aug 6, 2019 at 8:35 PM Post #4 of 8

i wondered about how this would be balanced? balanced as in same amount of cable going to each cup ? since balanced in recording industry means something different. witch is a really nice feature but not so much useful if you talk way above line level voltages with very short cable lengths. no offence just a question.

I just see this often mentioned and i wondered what peopel mean by balanced in this case.

Not exactly. Incomplete statement.

Even noticing that there is the same amount of cables inside the cups, they are not wired the same way.
Outside the cup, meaning from the amp to the headphone, if the wires’section is the same, there is 33% more copper. Because, 4 wires are used instead of 3 wires.
But, one goal of this mod, beside making the headphone balance “capable”, is also to make it, “cable interchangeable”. Which is not the case, out of the box.

So, I re-wired the original cable as a simple direct old school unbalanced, to keep the exact original TRS connectivity, with 3 wires as usual. Gnd, left, right.
Plus, I made some balanced cables with different kind of wire, copper, style, etc... 4 wires, L+ L- R+ R -

Does it answer to your interrogation?

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2019 at 7:06 AM Post #5 of 8

This is the old meaning of balance physicaly = when used doal sided connection at the same time.

Balance connector amp the signal to to + (hot) channal and invert the second one to - (cold).
on the other amp that receiving this two singals just compare them both and clear the noises from this comparison.
Headphones that got that balanced connector just double the volume/power that they got.
So for example, my Aune x7s amp specs shown: https://www.auneaudio-europe.com/index.php/aune-x7s-class-a-headphone-amplifier-black.html

Output power on RCA max: 250 mW at 300 Ohm. (unbalanced)
Output power on XLR max: 1000 mW at 300 Ohm.(balanced), 4 times stronger!

31R5586F8VL._SX425_.jpg

on headphones It cant prevent any noise but it makes the amp much stronger/powerfull.

He explains about microphones/mono plug of XLR 3pin

I made such mode to, and planned to make this headphones doal sided too.

KVMJeXV.jpg

Balance inveted for studio recording quality, and brought to the audiophills as a feature to take from them more money.

What are the results like?
I not have the dt990 but the sound much better because the quality of the cable.
And the storage with out the cable much easier.
The connector may fill stiff and not flexible if you touch the headphones with your shoulder, I plan to tilt the connection a little bit to the front on my dt880

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #6 of 8
Ehhhm did you install a 3 pin connector i think you need a 4 pin for balanced

Dec 14, 2019 at 3:03 PM Post #7 of 8
This is the old meaning of balance physicaly = when used doal sided connection at the same time.

Balance connector amp the signal to to + (hot) channal and invert the second one to - (cold).
on the other amp that receiving this two singals just compare them both and clear the noises from this comparison.
Headphones that got that balanced connector just double the volume/power that they got.
So for example, my Aune x7s amp specs shown: https://www.auneaudio-europe.com/index.php/aune-x7s-class-a-headphone-amplifier-black.html

Output power on RCA max: 250 mW at 300 Ohm. (unbalanced)
Output power on XLR max: 1000 mW at 300 Ohm.(balanced), 4 times stronger!

31R5586F8VL._SX425_.jpg

on headphones It cant prevent any noise but it makes the amp much stronger/powerfull.

He explains about microphones/mono plug of XLR 3pin

I made such mode to, and planned to make this headphones doal sided too.

KVMJeXV.jpg

Balance inveted for studio recording quality, and brought to the audiophills as a feature to take from them more money.

I not have the dt990 but the sound much better because the quality of the cable.
And the storage with out the cable much easier.
The connector may fill stiff and not flexible if you touch the headphones with your shoulder, I plan to tilt the connection a little bit to the front on my dt880

Thanks for the reply, I was thinking of sending in my headphones to afkheadphones for the 3 pin xlr mod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back