DT990 PRO 250 Ohms Amp
Nov 26, 2016 at 4:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

mkocs

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm new to the world of excellent audio and thought about entering it with the DT990 PRO 250Ohms. I'm currently trying to find out which Amp to buy in addition to it. First I thought about the FiiO E10K because it is available in my country. I read that it's not really a good match for the 250 Ohms and most people recommended the E09 instead, which is unfortunately not available here.
I'm now looking to buy the Schiit Fulla. Will it be able to drive these headphones or would you recommend getting a Magni-Modi stack? It's a really expensive stack for me, but I could get one if there was no alternative.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Nov 26, 2016 at 1:47 PM Post #2 of 13
Hi, I'm new to the world of excellent audio and thought about entering it with the DT990 PRO 250Ohms. I'm currently trying to find out which Amp to buy in addition to it. First I thought about the FiiO E10K because it is available in my country. I read that it's not really a good match for the 250 Ohms and most people recommended the E09 instead, which is unfortunately not available here.
I'm now looking to buy the Schiit Fulla. Will it be able to drive these headphones or would you recommend getting a Magni-Modi stack? It's a really expensive stack for me, but I could get one if there was no alternative.

I've used DT990 Pro with E10K and it works just fine.
FiiO K5 (new version of E09K) has more headroom and can sound better than E10K's amp but E10K gets the job done.
I guess Fulla should work fine too.

Nov 26, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #3 of 13
Well, first of all, thank you for your reply! The E10Ks would have been my first choice, but many people suggested it might not be enough and on FiiO's website it says that they're recommended for 16-150 Ohms, which has me a little worried.
The K5 however seems like a great option. I'll look into it, thanks! :)

Nov 26, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #4 of 13
  Well, first of all, thank you for your reply! The E10Ks would have been my first choice, but many people suggested it might not be enough and on FiiO's website it says that they're recommended for 16-150 Ohms, which has me a little worried.
The K5 however seems like a great option. I'll look into it, thanks! :)

FiiO says that just as a reference because people normally ask, but it's not something you should take too serious.
Impedance is not a measure of how hard to drive a headphone is.

Hifiman HE-6 is by far the hardest headphone you'll find these days, and it's 50 Ohm.
AKG K702 is harder to drive than DT990 Pro and it's 62 Ohm

I had DT990 Pro, and still have DT880 Pro, and the E10K and also much more powerful amplifiers around to compare.
E10K works just fine, even in low gain if you listen to modern music at normal levels.

K5 will work even better with extra room.

Nov 26, 2016 at 2:15 PM Post #5 of 13
Thank you for providing additional information. The K5 seems a bit odd because it's basically a docking station as well as an AMP, but it seems a better choice than the Schiit Fulla or FiiO E10K.

Nov 26, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #6 of 13
  Thank you for providing additional information. The K5 seems a bit odd because it's basically a docking station as well as an AMP, but it seems a better choice than the Schiit Fulla or FiiO E10K.

You can get E17K or FiiO X3II later and use it as a dedicated DAC for K5

Nov 26, 2016 at 9:25 PM Post #7 of 13

For the price of the Schiit Stack (Modi/Magni), you could get headphones better (for music), then the DT990.
I would say the Schiit Fulla, is a better value (Bang for the buck).
I've found the Fulla's head amp to have a fairly good amount of power, for it's $90 price.

Dec 1, 2016 at 1:02 PM Post #8 of 13
I recently purchased the 990 Pro 250, and own the FiiO E10 Olympus2.  I don't own any other DAC/Amp other than the fairly good one on my LG V10.  With the E10 on high gain, I cant get the volume over 6 or so without splitting an eardrum, and the audio for me is terrific.  I can say that the FiiO outperforms the V10, but not sure that would supersize anyone.  I'm definitely not disappointed in the audio quality of this pairing.

Dec 1, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #9 of 13
Good to hear! I'll probably get the 990s tomorrow and borrow the E10 from a friend and see (or rather hear) how I like it. I guess by LG V10 you're referring to the smartphone. I was kind of worried the headphones wouldn't work too well with phones and other mobile devices. Would you say it's an issue?

Dec 1, 2016 at 2:15 PM Post #10 of 13
  Good to hear! I'll probably get the 990s tomorrow and borrow the E10 from a friend and see (or rather hear) how I like it. I guess by LG V10 you're referring to the smartphone. I was kind of worried the headphones wouldn't work too well with phones and other mobile devices. Would you say it's an issue?

Yes V10 smartphone. The LG V10 is a bit different than the standard smartphone though.  It has a dedicated amp and dac that kicks on when headphones with an impedance of 50-500 ohms are plugged in.  So it can adequately power the 990 250 and likely do ok with the 600 ohms also.  That feature was the primary reason I got the 250 ohm version of the 990's.  Unfortunately the V10 DAC doesn't sound as detailed as FiiO E10 Olympus2.  Still good, just not as good as I'd hoped. 

Not sure standard android smartphones would be able to properly driver the 250 ohm version of the 990's. Let us know your thoughts on the E10 once you have a listen.  

Jan 23, 2019 at 7:18 PM Post #13 of 13
2 questions:
1. How does DT990 Pro sound on a Schiit Jotunheim?

2. How does the DT990 Pro compare to HD650?

1. Bright I guess
2. DT990 PRO is bright (energetic treble) while HD650 is relaxed (soft treble)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back