DT990 Pro (250 OHM) or Q701 for gaming
Jun 20, 2013 at 6:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

NosRokanaske

New Head-Fier
Hello,

Right now I can not decide between the DT990 Pro 250 OHM or the Q701 for gaming. I've read Mad Lust Envy's guide already and I've read other threads that mentioned these headphones and i can not really decide. For amping the headphones, I am going to get the Creative ZxR sound card that can drive up to 600 OHM headphones, so i don't think amping either one would be an issue as far as at home use. Right now on Amazon, the DT990 Pro 250 OHM version is ~$170 and the Q701 is ~$250, so im kinda leaning towards the DT990 Pro, but it would be nice to get some input on them. Also, which of the two headphones is more breathable? I'm using a decent headset, but it uses a pleather padding that gets pretty uncomfortable pretty fast.

For Reference, i don't really play a lot of FPS games and mostly play RPG/Adventure games like Tomb Raider 2013, Darksiders 2, Borderlands 2, Deus Ex: HR, Skyrim, and such. I'm not strictly just looking at those two headphones, so i am open to other suggestions.

Jun 20, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #2 of 7
I would say save some cash and get the DT990, the DT990 make great action movie headphones (full bass & treble) and should do fine for gaming.

Jun 20, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks for replying. What would be a good amp to drive the headphones when i want to take it out? I heard good things about the E11 but would it be able to drive the DT990 Pro 250 OHM version? On the spec page it says the recommended drive ability of 15~150 OHM. 

Jun 20, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:
Thanks for replying. What would be a good amp to drive the headphones when i want to take it out? I heard good things about the E11 but would it be able to drive the DT990 Pro 250 OHM version? On the spec page it says the recommended drive ability of 15~150 OHM. 

My Fiio E11 has no problem driving my 250-Ohm Beyers.
But as your getting the Sound Blaster ZxR with it's built in headphone amplifier, you should do all right.

Jun 20, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #5 of 7
Oh okay sweet. I was mainly requesting a good AMP because i will take it out on trips on occasion. Also, how is the breathability of the paddings? Do they get hot? Also, do they have a straight cable too?

Jun 20, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #6 of 7
The DT990 are great gaming headphones. They are ridiculously comfortable for long periods of time, and breathe very well.  The pro versions have coiled cables, and the premium ones are more expensive.  Whether it's worth the additional cost for the aesthetics and a straight cable is sort of up to you.

Jun 21, 2013 at 12:57 AM Post #7 of 7
I do prefer a straight cable over a coiled cable, but idk if that ~$200 extra is worth the straight cable. Plus its not like im going to be walking around with them on, I'll mostly be stationary so it wouldn't really bother me. How long is the coiled cable unstretched and is there a lot of resistance when it stretches? 

I should probably point out that it wont be for a while until i get the ZxR sound card so right now i have the Recon3D USB. Would that be enough to power the DT990 Pro?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back