DT990 Pro 2005 Edition
Jun 13, 2010 at 12:33 AM Post #2 of 7
The DT990s do pretty well with gaming. My only complaint is not being able to hear behind me as clearly as I'd like. Otherwise they have very good soundstage and clarity. No idea on the Astro though I usually run mine out of an EF2 or uDac.

Jun 13, 2010 at 1:17 AM Post #4 of 7
The imaging left and right is top notch but to the rear it's harder to hear. I can still hear what's behind me but it's much harder to 'notice'. It's almost as if you need focus more on the back when gaming whereas the right and left directions are entirely effortless. We'll just say I get stabbed in the back more than I'd like.

Jun 13, 2010 at 11:52 PM Post #5 of 7
If you have something like an X-Fi sound card with CMSS-3D or one that supports Dolby Headphone (like the Asus Xonar series), then the sound positioning will be almost perfect on any headphone. The advantage of the DT990 in gaming is its handling of explosions and gunfire, with the deep booming bass and sharp treble.

Jun 14, 2010 at 4:12 PM Post #7 of 7
According to Beyer's website, the Pros are the same as the premium 250 ohms, but with more clamping force.  I've heard the premium 250s and couldn't really recommend them for music, but if the have the same soundstaging as the 600 ohms then they'd probably do quite well for gaming.

The other day I was watching some anime with a normal stereo soundtrack processed through ffdshow's HRTF, played over my new DT990/600s and heard a bird chirp behind be.  I turned around to see if it was my actual pet bird, but it turned out to be the soundtrack!  Pretty good imaging if you ask me.

The 600s fix most all of the 250s problems but are still very bright so be sure that's your taste before you decide to buy either.  There's also a halfway decent chance you'll get some good volume out of either the 250s or the 600s with the mixamp.  They won't be driven to their full potential but you can always double amp and get most of full quality minus a little bit of extra distortion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back