dt990 Low bass .
Jan 6, 2015 at 4:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

NemoReborn

100+ Head-Fier
hi there , i finaly receive my dt990 600 ohm today ...  i plugged them on my lyr2/bifrost stack , and my frist impression vs what i heard at the shop near my house ... the cans have no bass. is that because they are brand new ?? and they need burn in ? or its because the cans ive tested before was 250ohm with wa7 ???

also i was wondering , can i push the cans a bit loud even if they new ? or need break in first?

thx you !

Jan 6, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #4 of 39
  hi there , i finaly receive my dt990 600 ohm today ...  i plugged them on my lyr2/bifrost stack , and my frist impression vs what i heard at the shop near my house ... the cans have no bass. is that because they are brand new ?? and they need burn in ? or its because the cans ive tested before was 250ohm with wa7 ???

also i was wondering , can i push the cans a bit loud even if they new ? or need break in first?

thx you !

Break in is not necessary, definitely.

Differences between 250 Ohm and 600 Ohm should be very subtle.
Based on this graph, 250 Ohm version has approx +2dB vs 600 Ohm version under 100 Hz. That's something.

That said, I guess the amp is playing a bigger role here.
It would be interesting if you can go to the shop with your DTs and plug them into the Woo WA7.

Jan 6, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #7 of 39
Where is the volume set on your PC?

Volume is maxed .. i only use the amp's volume 

Are the tubes both properly and fully installed?

The Lyr2 is second hand .. the guy used it for 6 month ... as properly , i dunno what to said , both are light up ..  the front one dsnt light up as bright as the other one tho ...

Break in is not necessary, definitely.

Differences between 250 Ohm and 600 Ohm should be very subtle.
Based on this graph, 250 Ohm version has approx +2dB vs 600 Ohm version under 100 Hz. That's something.

That said, I guess the amp is playing a bigger role here.
It would be interesting if you can go to the shop with your DTs and plug them into the Woo WA7.

so +2 db under 100hz is alot ???

Jan 6, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #8 of 39
3 dB is considered a "barely perceptible change"
http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/loudness.html
http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-loudness.htm

Jan 6, 2015 at 7:43 PM Post #11 of 39
Many people do not believe in burn-in. Some believe it is your brain that becomes "burned-in" as you get used to the new sound. I try to stay away from such debates.

I would probably try taking them down the shop and hooking them to the WA7. Something is weird here.

Jan 6, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #12 of 39
3 dB is considered a "barely perceptible change"
http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/loudness.html
http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-loudness.htm

I have to strongly disagree. Valid audio testing protocol rests on 0.1dB matching. 3dB is huge, especially over time.

Jan 6, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #13 of 39
Many people do not believe in burn-in. Some believe it is your brain that becomes "burned-in" as you get used to the new sound. I try to stay away from such debates.

I would probably try taking them down the shop and hooking them to the WA7. Something is weird here.

hehe well , id like to do that ... but i think the vendor would be piss if he see me with a pair of dt990 i bought on the net for half of his price ... he still been tryng to sell me stuff for like 3 hours the other day !!!  rofl

Jan 6, 2015 at 7:57 PM Post #14 of 39
hehe well , id like to do that ... but i think the vendor would be piss if he see me with a pair of dt990 i bought on the net for half of his price ... he still been tryng to sell me stuff for like 3 hours the other day !!!  rofl

Agreed, not to mention the lack of personal ethics involved in wasting some's time who depends on his job for a living. Price isn't everything.

Jan 6, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #15 of 39
Agreed, not to mention the lack of personal ethics involved in wasting some's time who depends on his job for a living. Price isn't everything.

if not giving him the 300 dollars he ask more than others is a lack of ethics ... u can send me 300 and puff yours :) .   Oh and i dont need this 300 for my better living i guess 
confused_face_2.gif

Now back to the topic , ima wait a few and let burn in and see by myself if i see a difference ... So far the only thing i think that could be the difference is the amp ... or the 600 ohm 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back