DT990 cable coming loose? Any way to prevent that before it gets worse?
Feb 20, 2017 at 10:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

hisagishi

100+ Head-Fier
So the cable just pulled out of the sheath thing at the top connector bit. WHere it goes into the headphones, its all still attached and works but I can see the little wires inside.

I was thinking super glue or something but I am sure there are better bonding material for rubber/plastic.

How hard would it be to solder a new connector on there? The easiest one to solder is fine by me, I can get adapters or whatever else.

Feb 21, 2017 at 6:28 AM Post #2 of 10
Don't use glues or solvents, that'll just make things ugly and prone to breaking again.
I would pop open the cup, pull the cable back inside the cup and attach a small zip-tie to the cable. 
It doesn't have to be crazy tight to keep it in place and stop it from coming out again.

The alternative would be to de-solder the cable, tie a knot in the cable and re-solder it.
This will have a much greater impact on uneven cable length which will be extremely annoying unless you do it evenly on both sides.

Feb 21, 2017 at 7:21 AM Post #4 of 10

This will have a much greater impact on uneven cable length which will be extremely annoying unless you do it evenly on both sides.

The DT990 is a single-cable hp

The original vintage 600 ohm version has a double-cable entry 
biggrin.gif

Well that makes things a lot simpler.

Feb 21, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #6 of 10
the DT990 has a molded strain relief

so pulling it further in isn't really going to be an option...  pictures of the break in the strain relief or cable covering would be helpful

the cable looks like this ..

the ideal solution is probably to just buy a new cable and desolder the old one (3 wires) and solder the new cable in ..  it is a really easy diy job..or you could send it in for repair I suppose also.

part is here for Americans

http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/shop/hah/spare-parts/service-set-anschlusskabel.html

video showing someone doing it..

if the connections are still good.. I might try carefully (not getting any on the ear cups) put a little liquid electric tape over the affected area of the cable.   and try to stave off the cable replacement job for awhile... but it should be a piece of cake for anyone with minimal soldering skills.

Feb 21, 2017 at 6:58 PM Post #7 of 10
I can't take any pictures at the moment sadly. The cable and strain relief have separated. so the cable can move (be pulled in and out) but the strain relief doesn't move at all.

Its still under warranty but there website says they won't do any repairs on cable related issues and I see multiple threads where they charge 60 bucks to solder a new cable on, which is a bit high for me... I'd rather put that towards a new pair, something with more bass as these don't have enough for me.

Feb 22, 2017 at 9:41 AM Post #8 of 10
Heres another question for you, I was checking out some DT990 detachable cable mods and I noticed almost everyone uses Mini XLR cables for the mod... Why is this? Just for the locking mechanism?

If I am going to resolder it I might aswell do the detachable cable mod since it would prevent this from happening again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back