DT990, ATH-AD900, or supermacro?
Sep 29, 2005 at 11:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

drxpert

Head-Fier
Hi, i currently use a pair of er-4p with my sony pcdp and ipod without amp. I listen to all kinds of music, though mainly pop, rock, and r&b. Auditioned various beyer cans and the senn 650 (which sounded reeaalll awful to me, i finally understand what 'veiled' means). While i like the 880, it sounds too similar to my 4p. 770's bass was just too bloated, and while 990's bass is boomier than what im used to, they sounded mighty fine to me. Since im so used to the etys, i would like my next purchase to have at least decent treble, but with better bass and wider and deeper soundstage.

Now the main issue is price. I'm able to get the 990 for 150, but an amp is gonna add to the cost. Pretty curious about AD900, which i can get for 175, but there's no where i can audition them. I see they're 35 ohms, and should work fine without an amp. Or should i just forget about new cans and save up for the supermacro3, and does it have good synergy with beyer and ATH cans?

Sep 29, 2005 at 5:47 PM Post #3 of 12
175 what? What country are you in? If you're talking USD, where please? I want to order the Audio Technica A900, found them at two places, one of them Audio Cubes but at a higher price.

Sep 29, 2005 at 6:32 PM Post #4 of 12
ATH-AD900

Do a search in A900 in the headphone forum. I just talked about them yesterday.

A900s aren't going to need an amp and at this point are the best headphones to go. I have owned the A900s.

-Chris

Sep 29, 2005 at 6:57 PM Post #5 of 12
Cool just searched and found your post. That's exactly what I'm looking for. A closed headphone with good sound that doesn't benefit much from a dedicated amp, has a good soundstage and is less than $200.

I want a good all purpose closed headphones to use for everything.

Sep 30, 2005 at 7:29 PM Post #6 of 12
Mahlerfan wrote "Cool just searched and found your post. That's exactly what I'm looking for. A closed headphone with good sound that doesn't benefit much from a dedicated amp, has a good soundstage and is less than $200.

I want a good all purpose closed headphones to use for everything"

As far as I know the ATH-AD900 is an open headphone. The ATH-A900 is a closed headphone that is very easy to drive.
Just thought you´d like to know...
rolleyes.gif

Sep 30, 2005 at 7:30 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by mahlerfan
Cool just searched and found your post. That's exactly what I'm looking for. A closed headphone with good sound that doesn't benefit much from a dedicated amp, has a good soundstage and is less than $200.

I want a good all purpose closed headphones to use for everything.

Yep, that's how I would describe the A900. (And note that I'm talking about the A900 now - I'm not familiar with the AD900)

The A900 actually seems to have "cured" my upgraditis. I wasn't searching for the world's greatest, just a good balanced closed headphone that does nothing really wrong for a decent price.

In my ideal world, maybe they would isolate just a tiny bit better. But then they probably wouldn't be as comfortable.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 1, 2005 at 2:03 AM Post #8 of 12
I'm from Singapore, where bluetin.com is based at. Yes, the prices i mentioned are in USD. A900 would cost around USD 160 here. I read about both the A900 and AD900, and i guess i wouldnt like the 'echo' effect of the A900. Another issue now is that, compared to my pcdp and previous cheap,no-brand mp3 player, im getting little to no bass using the 4p with my ipod, should i wait for the supermacro3 v5, or just get a pa2v2 or govibe, together with a pair of new cans?

Oct 1, 2005 at 2:37 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kardius
Mahlerfan wrote "Cool just searched and found your post. That's exactly what I'm looking for. A closed headphone with good sound that doesn't benefit much from a dedicated amp, has a good soundstage and is less than $200.

I want a good all purpose closed headphones to use for everything"

As far as I know the ATH-AD900 is an open headphone. The ATH-A900 is a closed headphone that is very easy to drive.
Just thought you´d like to know...
rolleyes.gif

The a900 is the one that I want... so what are you talking about?
confused.gif

Oct 1, 2005 at 8:38 AM Post #10 of 12
Mahlerfan
Just wanted you to not buy the ATH-AD900 that was mentioned just above your post since you wanted the closed type. BUt you had already got the difference.
wink.gif

The A900 is a good choice! I just got the A900's and drive them with my Iaudio X5 and this is the best sound I have experienced. Note though that I don't consider myself an iaudipphile by any means.

I have the Sennheiser HD 25-1 and I wanted a more circumarial (higher comfort)headphone for long listening sessions. My first impression is that the A900 is a step up from the HD 25-1, especially when talking about soundstage. But portability of the HD 25-1 is outstanding when compared to A900 so I will stick with both of these for a while now. Later on in my iadiophile journey I will try open headphones, amps etc. BIG sorry for my wallet.
Cheers!

Oct 1, 2005 at 2:05 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kardius
Mahlerfan
Just wanted you to not buy the ATH-AD900 that was mentioned just above your post since you wanted the closed type. BUt you had already got the difference.
wink.gif

The A900 is a good choice! I just got the A900's and drive them with my Iaudio X5 and this is the best sound I have experienced. Note though that I don't consider myself an iaudipphile by any means.

I have the Sennheiser HD 25-1 and I wanted a more circumarial (higher comfort)headphone for long listening sessions. My first impression is that the A900 is a step up from the HD 25-1, especially when talking about soundstage. But portability of the HD 25-1 is outstanding when compared to A900 so I will stick with both of these for a while now. Later on in my iadiophile journey I will try open headphones, amps etc. BIG sorry for my wallet.
Cheers!

Okay cool.
3000smile.gif
Well I ordered them (the A900s).

I have tried alot of open headphones, but only a few closed headphones. I was suffering under the misconception that there is no such thing as a good closed headphone.
tongue.gif

I would prefer headphones that can provide me some isolation and I think that I can find ones with good sound quality that will suit all my needs, and I hope that I found the right ones!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back