DT990 amp question
Sep 9, 2006 at 1:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Gubretti

100+ Head-Fier
im running my 03 version dt990s through my pa2v2. it produces a sound i quite enjoy, however i just purchased the new 05 990 and was wondering even if my pa2v2 drives them just as well, how much better would they sound through a portaphile 2^2 maxxx or a Little-dot II+. My only experience with an amp is this pa2v2 so im just curious how much an amp can change the sound. thanks for readin!

Sep 9, 2006 at 3:51 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gubretti
My only experience with an amp is this pa2v2 so im just curious how much an amp can change the sound. thanks for readin!

Just know that a nicer,more costly amp than the PA2v2 will take these somewhat difficult to drive (IME) beyers to another level.

I don't have any experience with the portaphile or a Little-dot II+ but comparing what I do have to the PA2v2, it sounds bass heavy, slightly congested while lacking sufficient power.

I really like the beyer house sound and I think they sound good no matter what you use (within reason) but mine don't start cookin' until I use atleast my Micro.

Sep 9, 2006 at 12:04 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane
Just know that a nicer,more costly amp than the PA2v2 will take these somewhat difficult to drive (IME) beyers to another level.

I don't have any experience with the portaphile or a Little-dot II+ but comparing what I do have to the PA2v2, it sounds bass heavy, slightly congested while lacking sufficient power.

I really like the beyer house sound and I think they sound good no matter what you use (within reason) but mine don't start cookin' until I use atleast my Micro.

So do you reckon the mini would be at least decent for it?
I just sent mine back to be updated
rolleyes.gif
If i'm lucky, i'll see it in a month (lol, REALLY hoping)
The 990s should come in around a month

Sep 10, 2006 at 12:45 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdimitri
So do you reckon the mini would be at least decent for it?
I just sent mine back to be updated
rolleyes.gif
If i'm lucky, i'll see it in a month (lol, REALLY hoping)
The 990s should come in around a month

I would say decent. I just listened to my '03 DT-880 (250 Ohm) with the SuperMini IV.My source was my Denon "stand alone" CD recorder model CDR-W1500. I tried changing each feature as I sampled the Donald Fagen release "Kamakiriad". The best result was with impedance boost off, bass boost off. The gain didn't seem to matter much as the amp began to clip at around the point that SPL was approaching 75 dB either way.

The SuperMini IV sounded very clean with the 880 at below its limit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back