DT931 w/ Corda
Nov 15, 2001 at 4:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

discoman

100+ Head-Fier
First, I have to say I HATE you guys and gals!!
biggrin.gif

You made me blow away all the scholarship on the headphone!!
biggrin.gif

I just received my DT931 and Corda amp and want to share with you all or maybe to tempt some of you.
very_evil_smiley.gif

(English is my second language, please excuse for any error.)

On last Friday, after two long weeks of waiting, I finally received my Corda. On my way out to a long weekend road trip, I picked up my parcel at a local post office and paid a heavy tax. After three hour of driving in my nosiy truck, I arrived my mother house. Right after saying Hi, I opened the parcel.

First, I opened a big box, inside is the DT 931. The 931 box is damaged
frown.gif
. I opened the package box, inside is the DT 931. Well, it is the cheapest looking Germany product I have ever seen in my life.
frown.gif
Plastic, plastic, very cheap looking plastic. However, it is quite comfortable, kind of like AKG501.

Then, I opened the second small box, inside is the Corda HA-1. Corda is wrapped with two layer of bubble bag between many wrapping paper. I took the Corda out, and it is very solid. After the first glance, I can tell it is a 'home made' product. First, no factory smell, the smell you got when you open factory sealed box. Second, there are few scratches on the front and back plates. Most of them are very fine, but two of them are deep enough to show up silver color.
frown.gif
i am a model builder, so I am very picky on this. Third, one of the back plate screw are rounded-off!!! I am also a engine rebuilder, so I am extremely picky on this.
frown.gif
Most people will have much better tolerance than me. However, 'home made' product is always better than mass-production to me. The parts and materials are very very good. The amp is very solid, the front plate is just so thick, it can stop a bullet for sure. The volume control is extremely smooth but not loose. The cross-feed switch feels like those old British army switch found on the tank. Okay, it was time to try it out. There is no power cord. So I ran to radio-shack and got my cable. I hooked up the amp to a CDP and start playing music. Hummm, no surprise, maybe the CDP, or maybe the CD (from my mom). After listened to it for 10 min, it was dinner time.

At 1:00am, finally I had a better chance to play with it. But my ears were very tried after three hours driving and talking to my mom
wink.gif
. Again, no surprise and quite disappionted. I think I need to let the amp and 931 to break-in first, or my ears needed some rest.

Yesterday night, I finally got back to my place and hooked it up with some better IC. Listened to a few CD, AKG501 beat DT931 by far. But 931 has not break-in yet, so it is unfair. Just before I gave up and go to bed (it was 3:00am), I put in a CD called 'Leahy' in the player. I bought this CD few years ago after saw their MTV, but never enjoy it very much. Right after the first five seconds it played, I 'waked-up' and 'WOW'. The fast-pace is so breath taking. It just sounds so damn good!
biggrin.gif
DT 931 sounds very clean and fast, I totally forgot all the disappointment and knew myself made a good choice. I started to shake my body at track 3 and didn't go to bed until six in the morning.

DT 931 is extremely good at instrumental music. Clean and Fast. I still prefer AKG for vocal, esp female, and Grado for pop music. However DT931 is not break-in yet, it may sound better on vocal later. Anyone who love listen to instrumental music should give it a try.

smily_headphones1.gif

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back