DT880 Vs. HD598 Gaming/Music?
Nov 6, 2016 at 9:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Amodymous

Head-Fier
Hello:

I have done additional research and want you guys to help me come up with a purchase I won't regret. I have a HD558 with an astro MixAmp and a modmic. For gaming, I want to have a competitive edge along with some immersion and for music I listen to all genres. I also want comfort and I want to know which DT880 (32, 250,600 ohm) will be suitable for the mixamp I have. I also prefer a natural, neutral sound which sounds realistic with some warmth to it. Thanks.

Nov 6, 2016 at 9:35 PM Post #2 of 11
  Hello:

I have done additional research and want you guys to help me come up with a purchase I won't regret. I have a HD558 with an Astro Mix-Amp and a mod-mic. For gaming, I want to have a competitive edge along with some immersion and for music I listen to all genres. I also want comfort and I want to know which DT880 (32, 250,600 ohm) will be suitable for the Mix-amp I have. I also prefer a natural, neutral sound which sounds realistic with some warmth to it. Thanks.

Have you removed the HD558's black rubber tape from inside the cups?

Is the Astro Mix-amp being used with a gaming console or Win PC (or Mac)?

The Mix-amp will not drive 600-Ohm Beyer headphones, and barely (at max volume setting) able to drive 250-Ohm Beyers.

If your using the Mix-amp with a Win PC, then replace the Mix-amp with a Xonar DX sound card (used $40-$60) and Bravo Ocean tube headphone amplifier ($80)

If your using the Mix-amp with a gaming console, then get the Bravo Ocean amp and daisy chain it off the Mix-amp's headphone output jack.
Then maybe get the DT880 Pro 250-Ohm headphones.

Nov 7, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #4 of 11
  I am using a mac and how are the 32 ohms, I heard they were pretty bloated and bad, is this true? 

If your using a Mac, I would expect plugging headphones directly into the Mac to match or maybe even better the sound quality, over plugging headphones into the Mix-amp.
Also unless your Mac comes with DDL (Dolby Digital live), the Mix-amp will not provide headphone surround sound, only stereo audio.
I would expect the 32-ohm DT880 to sound decent plugged into the Mac or Mix-amp.
But I would expect a Bravo Ocean tube (hybrid) headphone amplifer ($80) to give a noticeable improvement, with the DT880.
As the DT880 Pro 250-Ohm is normally cheaper then the 32-Ohm version.
Get the cheaper 250-ohm version and by the Bravo Ocean.
Plug the Bravo Ocean straight into the Mac, sell off the Mix-amp.

Nov 7, 2016 at 7:47 PM Post #6 of 11
So then, HD598 over 32 ohm Beyers? Alright will do, thanks
I would take the DT 880's 250 ohm with the Bravo over the 598's. Heard the 880's from my Bottlehead Crank a couple weekends ago and they were quite nice so I think a little tube goodness will do them well. I liked them as much as the 600's and 650's out of said amp. YMMV

Nov 7, 2016 at 8:17 PM Post #7 of 11
  So then, HD598 over 32 ohm Beyers? Alright will do, thanks

I own the Sennheiser HD558, which uses the same 50-Ohm driver as the HD598
(and own the DT880 250-Ohm and DT880 600-Ohm).
As the HD558 and HD598 use the same driver, not sure your going to get much improvement getting the HD598.

Nov 7, 2016 at 8:27 PM Post #8 of 11
I have been using my DT880 Premium 250's w/ either a FiiO E07K/E09K or a vintage Kennwood receiver for gaming for the last 2yrs now..  couldn't be more pleased with these for gaming quite good indeed.

the DT880 Premiums are going to be more comfortable I think as well...  U are going to need a amp.. not sure I'd want to use a tube amp all the time for gaming however... ???   for music sure.. but seems like a waste of money and electricity for gaming (mho)

if you have optical out on your computer maybe something like the little SMSL SD-793II $65~ on amazon right now, would be perfect.. you are going to need a amp of some sort however with the beyers.

Nov 7, 2016 at 8:34 PM Post #9 of 11
hd558 -> dt880 = small upgrade
hd558 -> hd 598 = barely an upgrade.

you can mod the hd558 to be exactly an hd598, just open it up and remove the tape, there's a whole thread about it.

imo both are a waste of money if youre looking to upgrade, all youre getting with the dt880 is a different sound signature. They're pretty much in the same tier, so all you'd be doing is getting a complimentary set of cans (a sidegrade as people call it)

Nov 7, 2016 at 9:01 PM Post #11 of 11
Or get HE-400S totally different sound and can be run by anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back