DT880 vs D2000 vs MS-2i vs AD900 vs HD600
Nov 10, 2008 at 4:51 PM Post #46 of 59
Hello,

I can attest to the MS-2 because it is my favourite headphone out of all I've owned currently and previously. It presents music with 'life' all recordings deserve.. One thing I complain about is the narrow soundstage but I can live with it.. It is on the bright side but I don't think it is overly bright (i.e. sparkling highs).. It is also not too up-front but enough to present it as MUSIC and not a concert..

An analogy I've come up with is the following.. since people here use the term 'eargasm', I get that shiver down my spine, while listening to the MS-2, for how great the music is but with my W1000, for example, I still get that 'eargasm' but for the way the music is presented.. It's like having an orgasm because you find your woman sexy, and not for the props to make the romantic night.. there is no wrong in lighting a candle here and there to set the mood for the romantic night in, likewise, there is nothing wrong with having a pair of W1000, but I like the MS-2 because it gives me pure music and that's it..

I owned the AD1000 and I can tell you, though it has the impressive soundstage, imaging and all that presentative stuff you get from speakers, it is BORING compared to the MS-2i. The AD900 is a lot different to the AD1000; I think more suitable for your needs but it will sound lifeless if you're comparing to the MS-2 (IMO) just because the sound doesn't have that 'focus' the MS-2, and other Grado/Alessandro has and considering your requests, the MS-2, IMO, would be ideal with the compromise of the level of comfort fully circumaural headphones give and the soundstage.

One thing though: are you an hours-on-end listener or the one-hour-break-one-hour listener? The MS-2 gets tiring to listen to in mid-volume (but you can turn it down to get the impression of distance).. oh and it gets really uncomfortable too.

Nov 10, 2008 at 7:03 PM Post #48 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by onvn /img/forum/go_quote.gif

One thing though: are you an hours-on-end listener or the one-hour-break-one-hour listener? The MS-2 gets tiring to listen to in mid-volume (but you can turn it down to get the impression of distance).. oh and it gets really uncomfortable too.

This really aware me cuz I am after a pair of MS2i
Uncomfortable and tired feeling
Oh I need to re-consider about it

Nov 11, 2008 at 10:36 AM Post #49 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by onvn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello,
I owned the AD1000 and I can tell you, though it has the impressive soundstage, imaging and all that presentative stuff you get from speakers, it is BORING compared to the MS-2i. The AD900 is a lot different to the AD1000; I think more suitable for your needs but it will sound lifeless if you're comparing to the MS-2 (IMO) just because the sound doesn't have that 'focus' the MS-2, and other Grado/Alessandro has and considering your requests, the MS-2, IMO, would be ideal with the compromise of the level of comfort fully circumaural headphones give and the soundstage.

Opinions are funny things. I owned the MS2i for well over a year and they are a great headphone. I didn't find them uncomfortable at all. They do get a little fatiguing over long listening periods IMO and that is one of the reasons I moved on from them. As for the AD900s being lifeless as opposed to the MS2i, not my pair, to my ears. The MS2i is agreat fon, but the AD900 is a better fon IMO. They are immersive and emotional, and lifeless is not a word I would associate with them. And that soundstage, now that is something the MS2i just doesn't have. I can listen for hours with AD900, they are comfortable and non fatiguing. Opinions mean we don't all end up with the same fon.

Have a listen to a few of the tracks below with an AD900, if you come to the conclusion that they are a lifeless headphone, then my suggestion is to get your pulse checked by a qualified medical practioner.

Eurythmics-Sweet Dreams
Death Cab For Cutie-I will Follow you into the Dark
Darren Hays- Insatiable
Jackson Jackson-Elisa
Jason Mraz-I’m yours
Katy Perry-I Kissed a Girl
Liam Finn –Second Chance
Missy Higgins –Peachy
Daryl Braithwaite- One Summer (Acoustic)
Regina Spector-On the Radio
Royal Gigolos- California Dreaming
Suzanne Vega –Blood Makes Noise
Tegan and Sarah –Living Room
The Dark Knight Soundtrack-Aggressive Expansion
Three Days Grace –Just Like You
Santana-Put Your Lights On

Nov 11, 2008 at 5:15 PM Post #50 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kernmac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have a listen to a few of the tracks below with an AD900, if you come to the conclusion that they are a lifeless headphone, then my suggestion is to get your pulse checked by a qualified medical practioner.

Hello,,

Well, I was exaggerating for the purposes of getting my point across.. I am in no way suggesting the AD900 is totally flat, boring and dry.. but from my experience with them, compared to the MS-2 (as I mentioned), they sound lifeless and unexciting for me (again, it is mere opinion as you suggested and I am exaggerating to get my point across).. So no, the AD900 is not fundamentally lifeless, but it is, compared to the MS-2.. IMO..

I am not the most articulated person in the world, so that might be it..
tongue.gif

..and I wish I find the MS-2 comfortable like you do but the fact is my ears get really sore from the bowls, however many times I did the shampoo thing with the bowls..

Nov 11, 2008 at 8:41 PM Post #51 of 59
Hi onvn,

I am not having a crack at you, I am just saying that we all have different opinions. I posted my view to give the OP balance, because I don't find the AD900 "lifeless" at all. I don't find the AD900 less exciting than the MS-2(i), I actually prefer it, I think they are as exciting/involving and I like the airy sound stage. I don't find you inarticulate, just someone with a different and therefore valid opinion. As for the comfort of the MS2, I bent the headband to where there was no pressure, there was no clamping on my ears and so therefore they didn't bother me in the slightest. However many people find the metal Alessandro uncomfortable, so you are not on your own. For the record I didn't shampoo my bowl pads, I actually did the glue mod to the outside of the bowl walls, making them stiffer and therefore maximising sound stage and bass supposedly.

Nov 12, 2008 at 12:19 AM Post #52 of 59
it's funny how many times I read something about the grado/alessandro it is about how they clamp and are uncomfortable because of it. If anything, I found my 325i's to be too unclamping and I had to bend them tighter. Maybe I have a small head...

Dec 2, 2008 at 7:16 PM Post #53 of 59
If your considering hd600s dont rule out modded hd580s could get equal if not better sound for the same price simply by purchasing 580s with 600 grills and 650 or other aftermarket cable. There is a pair currently for sale by a headfier for 180 which is a good deal. Good luck

Dec 2, 2008 at 11:08 PM Post #55 of 59
Though I'd love to sell you my AD900s, I really don't think they are right for the music you listen to. I mostly listen to blues, and I'm selling them in favor of Grados and ES7s. The 900s are great, sound wonderful with many types of music, and are terrific for movies. They just don't kick my butt. From what I've read, the MS2i or Denon 2000 would probably do it for you.

Mooch

Dec 3, 2008 at 12:25 AM Post #56 of 59
The D2000 will bring an "optimal" forwardness, detail, roundedness/smoothness and spectral balance, together with a pleasing "fun" factor--"fun" is not being used here in a demeaning sense, either.

I ended up preferring the D2000 to the HD600 at the time I owned both, but of course I'll add the "YMMV" waiver to this statement. : )

Dec 3, 2008 at 1:01 AM Post #57 of 59
The HD595 is already the mid-point between the Senn and the Grado sound... it seems that you are leaning more towards the Grado sound than the Senn sound. In that case the ATHs are probably your best bet. Do consider the AD700, it's cheaper and not that far from the AD900. You might as well save your money eventually for the AD2000.

Dec 3, 2008 at 4:50 AM Post #58 of 59
I loved the AD900's when I first got them; they were my first full-sized cans. Their punchy, airy sound is quite enjoyable. Also very easy to drive.

When I got my DT-880's, I began to feel that the airiness of the AD900's was bordering on "thin" and "distant." The DT-880's have their problems, but are (imho) superior to the AD900. Warmer, less analytical, a soundstage that seems "just right," enveloping and enthralling.

Anyway, that's just my two cents...

Dec 4, 2008 at 8:12 PM Post #59 of 59
Having owned DT880 and D2000 of the ones mentioned and reading what kind of sound signature you are looking for - I would without a doubt go for the D2000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back