DT880 too trebly, considering AKG K601
Jun 14, 2007 at 7:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

lemur

Head-Fier
This forum dig deep into my pockets
580smile.gif

I look for cans suitable for both music recording/mixing, and simply enjoying music in. It seems to be a tough challenge to find the perfect qualities in a headphone without having to eq it.
My first good cans I got was the Senn 595, which I really like. I can listen all day in these, although they lack in treble a bit so upper details are not heard that well sometimes. So before selling them I got the DT880, '05, for comparison. Extremely detailed and analytical, but with many recordings I can't stand the sharp highs. I'm NOT a basshead and still want analytical cans, but the DT880 was simply too trebly for me.
I have read some reviews here for the AKG K601, and it seems to be exactly what I'm after. A little bigger soundstage, less trebly and slightly more bass and punch then the 880.
I use different amps, sometimes the EMU 0404 usb2 which is fine for my budget.
Am I on the right track here with the K601?

Jun 14, 2007 at 8:05 PM Post #2 of 18
DT880 seems to have a bit of a "puckle" around 9-10 kHz, try decreasing 3-4 dB around there and you might be pleasantly surprised! There are some threads about this if you want to read about it in detail.

Edit: For mixing I think a nice pair of monitors (I personally like Genelec) would do you much better than headphones. But if you ever find something of that quality in headphones please tell because I want it!
smily_headphones1.gif

Unless you intend to mix for people to listen to in headphones - Hm now there's an idea...
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 14, 2007 at 8:08 PM Post #3 of 18
I've not heard the K601, but the K701 is less "trebly" than the DT880 while still maintaining great detail with better bass.

Jun 14, 2007 at 8:34 PM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by wavefunction /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DT880 seems to have a bit of a "puckle" around 9-10 kHz, try decreasing 3-4 dB around there and you might be pleasantly surprised! There are some threads about this if you want to read about it in detail.

Edit: For mixing I think a nice pair of monitors (I personally like Genelec) would do you much better than headphones. But if you ever find something of that quality in headphones please tell because I want it!
smily_headphones1.gif

Unless you intend to mix for people to listen to in headphones - Hm now there's an idea...
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks, yes I have tried to eq but it is easier to eq the 595 to sound good than the 880. For mixing I use monitors for sure, but headphones also, for critical listening and setting pan etc. Also when I don't wanna disturb my neighbors. For me monitors and cans complement eachother.
When it comes to just listening to music, I thik it is almost impossible to find a can that will do it all for different genres without using eq. Still there must be a can that comes very close I hope. Any experienced K601 user here?

Jun 14, 2007 at 8:40 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by karma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've not heard the K601, but the K701 is less "trebly" than the DT880 while still maintaining great detail with better bass.

Thanks Karma, yes I have considered the 701 but the HUGE soundstage, higer cost, white color
600smile.gif
, and from what I've heard, a less warm sound than the 601, keeps me from going there. Maybe it's great for analytic listening but too cold for me for just listening. I wish I could hear them both!

Jun 14, 2007 at 9:29 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For me ,this is the source/amp problem . I didn't feel any harshness on 880 not with NAD C542 and not with SB3+Stello (DT990). Both sources is known as "warm".

We all hear different but I have tried the 880 in both amps considered warm and some more neutral, but the harsh treble is still there.
I wish I could find the 880 neutral sounding in the upper register, but I guess they are designed to be that way. Too bad the 595 have too much rolled of at the top.

Jun 14, 2007 at 10:16 PM Post #9 of 18
I own the k601, there is very nice bass impact on them...they have an overall dark signature that I can use to enjoy most contemporary genres. The treble is not too grating on my ears, although I'm not listening to them right at this moment so I'm not 10000% sure. personally I think the velvet pads contribute to a "normal" sized soundstage, but if you're looking for more, you can always switch them out for 501 earpads at the expense of leaking bass? Not sure if this is accurate lingo but just my .02

Jun 14, 2007 at 10:26 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoPants /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I own the k601, there is very nice bass impact on them...they have an overall dark signature that I can use to enjoy most contemporary genres. I think the velvet pads contribute to a "normal" sized soundstage, but if you're looking for more, you can always switch them out for 501 earpads at the expense of leaking bass? Not sure if this is accurate lingo but just my .02

Have you tried the 880, 595 or 701?
My guess is that the 601 has more treble than the 595, but less than the other two. Will both K5 & 7 pads fit the 601?

Jun 14, 2007 at 10:28 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you try with different source ?

Yes I've tried various sources. Computer, cd-player and portable.
I find the bass to be changing the most with different sources/amps, but not so much the highs.

Jun 14, 2007 at 10:39 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoPants /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I own the k601, there is very nice bass impact on them...they have an overall dark signature that I can use to enjoy most contemporary genres. The treble is not too grating on my ears,

x2

The k601's are darker than the k501 and k701.
Very similar in overall tone to the Grado 325i.

Jun 16, 2007 at 8:48 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by lemur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you tried the 880, 595 or 701?
My guess is that the 601 has more treble than the 595, but less than the other two. Will both K5 & 7 pads fit the 601?

I actually own 501 601 and 701 now, and yea all the pads are interchangeable, I actually bought a pair of 701 pads to put on the 601s because of the better seal in the back, which I felt did something to improve the perception of air in recordings. And switching between the 601 and 701, I find that the treble is "sharper" and gains a more forward presentation as a result in the 701s, in agreement with your guess. Hope that helps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back