DT880 - tiny little thing...
May 29, 2009 at 5:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

indydieselnut

500+ Head-Fier
Has any other Beyer owner noticed a very subtle "cracked" look on the nameplates on the DT880's? I've owned a pair of the "normal" version and just got my 600-ohm pair and on the nameplate with the DT880 on it, if you hold it up to the light just right, it has very fine little lines that look like "cracks". It looks like maybe there's a protective film on there that you're supposed to pull off but it doesn't appear that's the case.

Okay, I realize this is a very inconcsequential gripe, just wondering if anyone knew what was up. Is this normal?

Thanks!
John

May 29, 2009 at 6:44 PM Post #3 of 6
They're brand-new, so it's the "current" design. The thing is, if you look straight at them they look fine, it's just if you're looking at an angle and if the light is hitting it right. Like I said, small little thing...I'm just OCD and was wondering if anyone else has noticed this.

Thanks!

May 29, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #4 of 6
Those are scratches. All my beyers have them on the name plate (except the DT770). It happens during assembly.

The scratches on mine run up and down vertically on the plate.

May 30, 2009 at 1:10 AM Post #5 of 6
It's from polishing. How noticeable it is (always at an angle) has to do with what grit the final polish was done with. If a super, super fine grit is used, sometimes you can't really see it from any angle, but with most polished metal, you can see these marks if put in the right light and viewed from the right angle. For example, any iPod with a mirror-polished back plate is covered with these patterns, but you can't see it at all looking straight on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back