dt880 problems ??
Aug 15, 2008 at 8:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

wazzupi

Headphoneus Supremus
Watercooler Travel Team
Pulling out the Head-Fi muscle
I just got my dt880 they sound amazing but i am having problems with it (brand new).there are times where the one side of the headphones just stops working ?? and its not only one side because its happen to both (mostly left side) anyone can help me i am not using an AMP but its connected to my x-fi soundcard which could drive my hd595.

Aug 15, 2008 at 9:11 PM Post #3 of 9
I know you said it worked with the hd595, but I'm still gonna put my bet on the source. Perhaps driver or software issues.
Sometimes, the wiring inside the headphones or jack can get shorted out from wear and tear, but I can't see how both/either channels would just stop working like you described.
I've never heard of intermittent driver failures either.

If you have a mp3 player, cd player.. etcetera, I would try see if it presents the same problems.

Aug 15, 2008 at 9:13 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by wazzupi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
one more thing the left side volume is lower then the right.

Again, that's also usually a problem with the source, unless the dt880's were manufactured with one faulty driver.

Aug 15, 2008 at 9:47 PM Post #5 of 9
yea but no one has ever had a problem with x-fi /dt880 and it seems to only happen when i turn my head in a fast motion (as if i am pulling the cable or something ?) and it seems to go away for a longer period of time the more I use the headphones could it be because i just got them and they are burning in, like right now as I wrote this message I had no problem with the song I was listening to but It was happening like 1 hour ago with the same song. I think its going away now (I hope). Actually the lower volume is probably false and its just in my head (I've been listening with a hd595 that was dead on one side for like 3 weeks) LOL I think thats what it is. But the problem with it dying out was definitely the headphones or source.

Aug 15, 2008 at 10:29 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by wazzupi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yea but no one has ever had a problem with x-fi /dt880 and it seems to only happen when i turn my head in a fast motion (as if i am pulling the cable or something ?) and it seems to go away for a longer period of time the more I use the headphones could it be because i just got them and they are burning in, like right now as I wrote this message I had no problem with the song I was listening to but It was happening like 1 hour ago with the same song. I think its going away now (I hope). Actually the lower volume is probably false and its just in my head (I've been listening with a hd595 that was dead on one side for like 3 weeks) LOL I think thats what it is. But the problem with it dying out was definitely the headphones or source.

It has nothing to do with the dt880/xfi "combo". There are driver/software-based issues that can rise within your operating system, in which case, the problem will continue regardless of which headphones are connected.
however, you said it happens only when you pull at the cable.. or turn your head, as if to strain the connection...
The thing is.. the cable is terminated to one end, and turning your head shouldn't put any strain on the right driver. =/

I would try connect it to a different source, a ipod or cd player, and see if the problem persists. If it does, then somethings wrong with the connection, and you'll have to send it in through warranty.

Aug 16, 2008 at 3:10 PM Post #8 of 9
Could be the 1/8 jack not mating well with your X-fi input jack
smily_headphones1.gif
. Screw the 1/4" jack back onto the 880 and get a 1/4 to 1/8 converter, plug it into the 880s and see if the problem still persists. Try with a different source as well as mentioned by other people

Aug 26, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #9 of 9
I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to add that I've been having the same problem with my 6 month old DT880s (but plugged into a headphone amp rather than a soundcard): the left driver won't play 90% of the time. When I pull the plug halfway out of my amp I get sound in both drivers (albeit distorted), so both drivers are definitely working. And for a while I fixed the problem by using a cheap 1/4 converter in place of Beyer's, but now I'm having the same problem regardless of which converter I used, so my best guess is that the problem is in the 1/8 jack. There's no oxidation on it though, so I don't think there's much for me to fix myself.

I'm guessing I'm going to end up having to send them in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back