DT880 PRO pad experiment, Velour vs Softskin.
Jul 23, 2014 at 11:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Derpus-Maximus

New Head-Fier
Ater using my DT880 PRO's for over 10 months everyday for at least 6 hours the velour pads changed in shape and sound, so i decided to get 2 new sets of pads for my trusty 880's , first pair to go on are the softskins, these are from Beyerdynamic, BUT these are the ones who have only 1 hole in the back, not the perforated version like how it looks on the velour version!!!.

The softskins: 

Everything sounds completely DIFFERENT, depending on your taste music, you will either like it, or dislike it
I personally could not really decide whether i should keep the softskins on or not, most songs sounded more alive bass wise, but bass is not what makes music come alive for me.
I noticed the airy/bright sound i got before the new pads came on is completely gone.....a shame, but i kinda like it, but according to others, these pads do have a break in period, but so far with John Mayer songs i disliked the sound...way too dark, i missed a lot of detail, as in i had to focus a lot more then i normally would have to.
You could say that the bass now is the dominant factor, and that makes the other sounds fall to the background, therefore requiring you to focus more.

----------------------

The fresh velour pads:

They sound great, nicely detailed, the harshness on the treble has returned!!!,, they also feel so soft, and they fit like a glove on my ears, the details are there and the bass is less present compared to the softskins, but that is fine for me.
Compared to the old/flat/dirty velour pads, there is a difference, that might have been more noticeable if i had waited another 6 months before swapping them.
No bad things or other stuff i disliked.

----------------------

The mix and match pads (velour new/softskin new ) : 

This setup is a complete bitch slap in the face, the velours sound so detailed, while the softskins just dominate my right ear with bass, this is how you can really notice the immense difference between the two.

After switching positions, the same effect happens but this time it is my left ear that gets dominated with bass and less detailed highs....as if in your left ear you have hearing damage!!!

----------------------

The mix and match velour/velour ( new vs old ):

Feeling wise, not a whole lot of difference.
Sound wise there is a difference, but it is not a in your face kind of difference, but that might be the 5mm difference in height of the pads.
I would describe the difference as a small channel imbalance, as if the balance is for example 7/9, where 7 is the old pad and 9 the new pad, the bass is louder and more detailed in the new pad, the small details such as instruments in the background, sound more alive with the new pads, and the treble is better too.

-----------------------

Now i wonder what will happen if i perforate the back of the softskins, maybe i can achieve a more balanced sound, i am hoping that the highs will be more detailed.
And also has anyone done this with a T90 / HD800??

Jul 23, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #2 of 4
The back perforations can make an enormous difference. This is why I resisted getting one of those $10 Chinese replacment pads for my DT880 and paid the full price for the genuine article. The $10 ones had no perforations.

Jul 24, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #4 of 4
So those you've linked to are the softskins, which have no perforations. The velours, which do, are slightly dearer. As you suggest, the lack of perforations is probably what's making the difference rather than the material. I'd love to try the softskin, but I'm not forking out another $50. Strange that so little is said about them even here. Yours is the first in-depth review I've read.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back