DT880 (Premium) VS X1 Rock/Gaming
Jun 18, 2017 at 1:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

EnsisTheSlayer

Head-Fier
I'm content with my current setup, but if anything happens I would like to upgrade instead of rebuying the same stuff. I'm looking for a pair of open back headphones for gaming/general use and mostly rock music. My research had lead me to the Philips X1s for $140 used and Beyerdynamic DT880 Premiums for $180 for the chrome ones (there are DT 880 Pros for $140 used but they're so ugly IMO). So which do you think is better for rock music in particular?

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #2 of 8
I dont like either for rock.i find the mids too recessed on the X1s(my primary gaming HP)and the sound on the 880s to be too polite.

my suggestion would be X1 for gaming and pickup a pair of Grado 80e(99.00 usd) for rock music...best of both worlds for a bit more cash.

Jun 18, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #3 of 8
I dont like either for rock.i find the mids too recessed on the X1s(my primary gaming HP)and the sound on the 880s to be too polite.

my suggestion would be X1 for gaming and pickup a pair of Grado 80e(99.00 usd) for rock music...best of both worlds for a bit more cash.
I've been looking into some different sub 100 Grados, my only concern is comfort and the durability of aftermarket pads.

And could you go a bit more in depth of what you mean by "polite"? I've only ever heard the DT880s described as harsh by others. Could it be your amp/DAC setup?

Also I know I'm asking quite a few questions already, but do you think the bass on the X1s to be overpowered in any way? I like bass but I don't want it to overshadow the mids or highs.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2017 at 2:29 PM Post #4 of 8
I've been looking into some different sub 100 Grados, my only concern is comfort and the durability of aftermarket pads.

comfort on most any on-ear HP is going to be no too great,so your concern is legit....pad durability is a non-issue though.The problem is that many HPs are quite V-shaped which doesnt lend itself to rock music IMO. For the price Grado is the best option for rock,the comfort is the price to pay.

And could you go a bit more in depth of what you mean by "polite"? I've only ever heard the DT880s described as harsh by others. Could it be your amp/DAC setup?

Beyers are harsh in the treble area,to a painful degree.What i mean by too polite is the mids on Beyers do not convey the thick chunkiness that much of rock has in the guitar area....The sound is reproduced but lacks the aggression that Grado is known for.

My DAC/amp combo were not to blame,as the WA2 is one of the better OTL amps out there for taming the Beyer treble spikes.

I like rock guitar to have an edge,an aggressive,in your face presentation,which the Grado does pretty well,the 880 and X1 do not.

Also I know I'm asking quite a few questions already, but do you think the bass on the X1s to be overpowered in any way? I like bass but I don't want it to overshadow the mids or highs.

Bass on X1 is pretty strong,not SZ2000 strong but strong nonetheless.I like it for gaming as the bass gives explosions and gun fire a tactile realness,plus the soundstage is quite wide for figuring out positional cues of enemies.The bass overshadows that to a degree,but im not on the pro circuit competing in gaming tournaments either.If you want pure positional cues with minimal bass hinderance than you might look into some AKG models and/or HD800.

For music i like the X1 for trance,but as I said before the mids are too recessed for my liking,making guitars sound like theyre a few steps behind everything else....Understand this is my preference,and you might like the recessed v-shape X1.For gaming I love it.For rock music,not so much.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2017 at 3:27 PM Post #5 of 8
I would throw the HD598's hat into the ring for gaming. It has a substantial stage and pretty good imaging for its pricepoint. It is not a bad rock headphone but it cannot compete with a Grado for rock.

Jun 18, 2017 at 5:40 PM Post #6 of 8
comfort on most any on-ear HP is going to be no too great,so your concern is legit....pad durability is a non-issue though.The problem is that many HPs are quite V-shaped which doesnt lend itself to rock music IMO. For the price Grado is the best option for rock,the comfort is the price to pay.

Beyers are harsh in the treble area,to a painful degree.What i mean by too polite is the mids on Beyers do not convey the thick chunkiness that much of rock has in the guitar area....The sound is reproduced but lacks the aggression that Grado is known for.

My DAC/amp combo were not to blame,as the WA2 is one of the better OTL amps out there for taming the Beyer treble spikes.

I like rock guitar to have an edge,an aggressive,in your face presentation,which the Grado does pretty well,the 880 and X1 do not.

Bass on X1 is pretty strong,not SZ2000 strong but strong nonetheless.I like it for gaming as the bass gives explosions and gun fire a tactile realness,plus the soundstage is quite wide for figuring out positional cues of enemies.The bass overshadows that to a degree,but im not on the pro circuit competing in gaming tournaments either.If you want pure positional cues with minimal bass hinderance than you might look into some AKG models and/or HD800.

For music i like the X1 for trance,but as I said before the mids are too recessed for my liking,making guitars sound like theyre a few steps behind everything else....Understand this is my preference,and you might like the recessed v-shape X1.For gaming I love it.For rock music,not so much.
Thanks for the clarification. I thought the DT880s might be a good all-rounder for me, but it seems not.

I'll look into some Grados with replacement pads, and hopefully the aftermarket pads last longer than they look.

Jun 18, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #7 of 8
Thanks for the clarification. I thought the DT880s might be a good all-rounder for me, but it seems not.

I'll look into some Grados with replacement pads, and hopefully the aftermarket pads last longer than they look.

I would agree with you on the DT880,but understand that much of what you read on this forum is highly subjective.Even supposedly science based aspects of this hobby like measurements are now being hotly debated.

Let us know what you end up getting.

Jun 19, 2017 at 12:14 AM Post #8 of 8
I'm content with my current setup, but if anything happens I would like to upgrade instead of rebuying the same stuff. I'm looking for a pair of open back headphones for gaming/general use and mostly rock music. My research had lead me to the Philips X1s for $140 used and Beyerdynamic DT880 Premiums for $180 for the chrome ones (there are DT 880 Pros for $140 used but they're so ugly IMO). So which do you think is better for rock music in particular?
The DT880 is fairly well balanced, but it's on the bright side and really needs to be used with a decent headphone amplifier.
The Philips X1 Fidelio are easier to drive and I believe offer more bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back