Dt880 or K701 for TUBES?
Apr 27, 2006 at 2:06 PM Post #16 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by White Fox
The DT 880s don't sound harsh in the highs on their own, even though they are slightly bright in the lower highs. Also compared to something like the K 501s, they are not dry-sounding either. They have slightly soft tonality IMO. With the Corda HA-2 and contemporary jazz recordings the sound is very real. Unless your recordings are good (not overly sibilant or harsh), I would look at other headphones than the DT 880s.

Agreed on all counts.

P.S. IMO the K501 is not that "other headphone," as they can be nearly as revealing of poor recordings as the DT880.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PsychoZX
rolleyes.gif
Funny how there are several opamps each with widely different sound signatures yet they aren't considered coloring the sound.

What I meant was, why would someone recommend tubes for the DT880 unless they were specifically wanting to color the sound (i.e. make it less harsh, warmer, etc). And who ever said opamps don't color the sound somewhat (it sure wasn't me). I don't think they color it much though, not really enough to substitute for "tube warmth" if that's what somebody's looking for.

Apr 27, 2006 at 3:58 PM Post #17 of 32
I have the current production model of the DT-880's and use them with a tubed output CD player and a Singlepower ppx3 Slam. The sound is bright, but does not have glare or harshness. I'm not sure that I would like them very much through a typical solid state amp, but have to admit I've never tried listening to them through one.

Apr 27, 2006 at 4:31 PM Post #18 of 32
the dt880's are easily the weirdest headphones i've ever owned, they have been praised here for a while yet i feel very dissatisfied with them. Bass and treble seem to overtake midrange/vocals completely, there is a real emphasis on sibilance, so it seems that although it has been praised a lot it is also very dependant on the sound signature of your amp (rather than how well it drives the cans).

I'm sure with a good tube amp they would warm up a lot but i wouldn't even consider using them for jazz/classical as they are now, my Grado SR225's sound very relaxed and smooth in comparison (although i never really did think they were overly bright over fatigueing sound wise)

Apr 27, 2006 at 4:34 PM Post #19 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drakemoor
the dt880's are easily the weirdest headphones i've ever owned, they have been praised here for a while yet i feel very dissatisfied with them. Bass and treble seem to overtake midrange/vocals completely, there is a real emphasis on sibilance, so it seems that although it has been praised a lot it is also very dependant on the sound signature of your amp (rather than how well it drives the cans).

Something is *seriously* wrong with your setup or recordings.

Apr 27, 2006 at 4:45 PM Post #20 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
Something is *seriously* wrong with your setup or recordings.

other people have complained of a lack of midrange

I like vocals to be very upfront (a lot of songs are recorded that way and should be heard that way) whereas with the dt880's it's like the mids are really lacking and nearly get taken over by other instruments like cymbals.

Apr 27, 2006 at 5:09 PM Post #21 of 32
Quote:

I like vocals to be very upfront (a lot of songs are recorded that way and should be heard that way) whereas with the dt880's it's like the mids are really lacking and nearly get taken over by other instruments like cymbals.

Like I said, something is wrong with your setup or recordings.

Apr 27, 2006 at 5:14 PM Post #22 of 32
Quote:

If there is strong treble content in the music I always felt like the 880's treble overwhelmed everything too.

Apr 27, 2006 at 6:15 PM Post #23 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
If there is strong treble content in the music I always felt like the 880's treble overwhelmed everything too.

I felt this way about the 990 and didn't like them. I did want to try the 880 though, how would the 880 compare here?

Apr 27, 2006 at 6:17 PM Post #24 of 32
Quote:

Well, if I read your profile correctly you own 5 pair of HD600s... 'nuff said
tongue.gif

Apr 27, 2006 at 6:43 PM Post #25 of 32
I heard a K701 and a Singlepower PPX3 SLAM and the results were incredible. I just hope my GS-1 will do the K701s justice.

Apr 27, 2006 at 7:16 PM Post #26 of 32
Quote:

Well, if I read your profile correctly you own 5 pair of HD600s... 'nuff said
tongue.gif

I dumped the two pair of dt 880's I owned before you knew what a dt880 was .... nuff said. Subsequent auditions have done nothing to change my opinion.

I actually went to the senn 650 next, but discovered I liked the 600 more because the 650 was to dark and rolled off sounding. Now I have four 701's and three 600's ..... with a grado HF-1 on loan and with a Grado GS1000 on the way. The 701, as you have likely read, has excellent treble extension, just not an overabundance. In case you are trying to imply I dont like treble, I have no problem with any frequency as long as there isnt to much or to little.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 27, 2006 at 7:20 PM Post #27 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkninja67
I heard a K701 and a Singlepower PPX3 SLAM and the results were incredible. I just hope my GS-1 will do the K701s justice.

I have both amps and the GS-1 definitely does the 701 justice.
smily_headphones1.gif

I do like the SLAM better. But I am a tube guy.
wink.gif

Apr 27, 2006 at 8:27 PM Post #28 of 32
Quote:

I have both amps and the GS-1 definitely does the 701 justice.
smily_headphones1.gif

I do like the SLAM better. But I am a tube guy.
wink.gif

I just got my GS-1 and am loving it so far. Impressive to see it power both the DT880s and K701s simultaneously. Justin does great work. I can now understand what "black" is. Such a low noise floor.

OFF TOPIC: Sacd, How will the HD600s do on this amp?

Apr 27, 2006 at 8:49 PM Post #29 of 32
Quote:

Like I said, something is wrong with your setup or recordings.

Or maybe not everyone hears things exactly the way you do. You gotta love this little trend on head-fi, if someone doesn't like the headphones you like it must be their equipment, ears, or their music. It couldn't possibly be the headphones.
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back