DT880 or K501's?
Mar 18, 2004 at 11:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Jbroad572

500+ Head-Fier
I'm going to order one of the 2 tonight. Which is the better can? Is the $100 price difference worth it for the 880's? This will be my secondary canned powered by my Pimeta and Powerbook. Primary use will be movies, jazz, r&b, alternative. Which ones?

Mar 18, 2004 at 11:57 PM Post #2 of 28
having not heard the 501 its hard to advise. I have the 880 and its not too hard to drive and if you like detail without a bassy sound go for the 880. Some here have compared them to the er4 which is sort of a neutral standard. I like both but prefer the 880.

do a search. for a while there was a lot of dispute between the senn 650 and 880 for top dog. I think the general consensus is that the senn. are preferred but they cost a lot more.

Mar 19, 2004 at 1:15 AM Post #3 of 28
I wouldn't use the K501 for movies or alternative (depending on your definition of alternative) - they're an extremely airy sounding headphone with very lean (hardly any) bass. Good for jazz and classical, but also very hard to drive.

Mar 19, 2004 at 1:36 AM Post #4 of 28
Agreed with the above, although I find the DT880s to also be excellent with Jazz and Classical music. I don't know if they're the best headphone for movies, but then again I don't watch all that many (and even more rarely with headphones, for that matter).

Mar 19, 2004 at 3:57 AM Post #5 of 28
I use the K401 and K501 for DVD viewing. But I also boost the bass slightly for a more visceral impact. I refuse to give up the comfort of the K's. The K is much more comfortable. The DT880 can give you scalp burn. I changed the DT880 band to the DT931 band. It works wonderfully now, no more scalp burn.

Is the DT880 worth another hundred dollars: in a word, yes; because of the much better soundstage.

whether or not your amp will drive them is another matter.

Mar 19, 2004 at 4:09 AM Post #6 of 28
Never had any scalp burn with the DT880, but I don't have a melon head
wink.gif

Mar 19, 2004 at 5:08 AM Post #7 of 28
Well the guy I had made a deal with posted them on Ebay without even telling me, so so much for that for now, I guess. Guess I'll just be watching the for sale forums to see what else comes up.

Mar 19, 2004 at 6:28 AM Post #8 of 28
melon heads need not apply; I don't have a melon head, either. it's like the headband on the K - very comfortable. it's just a problem that some people have with the DT880. it also feels heavier.

Mar 19, 2004 at 6:46 AM Post #9 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by wallijonn
melon heads need not apply; I don't have a melon head, either. it's like the headband on the K - very comfortable. it's just a problem that some people have with the DT880. it also feels heavier.

I'm just kidding with you
evil_smiley.gif

Y'know, implying that you have an unnaturally large, misshapen head.

Mar 20, 2004 at 2:16 PM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by Snufkin
I wouldn't use the K501 for movies or alternative (depending on your definition of alternative) - they're an extremely airy sounding headphone with very lean (hardly any) bass. Good for jazz and classical, but also very hard to drive.

seconded. the 501's have great staging as far as sound is concerned but the bass hell you will have to search heaven and earth... Imean the 2 drivers before you will find it.
this obviously is based on a very short listening experience.

Mar 20, 2004 at 10:17 PM Post #11 of 28
Aside from the dry midrange, coiled cord and occasional scalp burn I could live with the DT880. It really does enjoy many of the K501 characteristics, though it doesn't quite achieve the sweet midrange or giant soundstage of the 501 (it comes close in many areas, however). While the K501 was even more comfortable and "midrangey" than the DT880 I couldn't live with it because of its deficient bass response. I don't care what amplification is used and what genre of music one enjoys. Even on many different amplifiers and many different sources certain bass notes were simply ABSENT! Classical music and jazz thrive on bass (especially organ pieces and hard bop). All music requires bass to groove and propel the music - the bass is the glue between the rhythm and the melody. I simply can't understand how someone can live with the silhouette-sound of the K501 (either they haven't heard REAL bass or are simply averse to such bass). The DT880 is simply a better headphone in most regards than the K501, and it's a main headphone that I would live with if the HD580/600/650 didn't exist. K501 lovers please don't flame me; it's simply my opinion of the K501 after struggling with it for several months to no avail.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 21, 2004 at 6:01 AM Post #12 of 28
Neilpeart, I notice you have DT531 cans in your sig. How do you rate the DT880 cans to these and your HD 580 phones?

I've read such good things about the DT531 here that I'm almost convinced they are worth a try but, as always, I've got the potential to waste my money on these only to buy some DT880s or HD 600s later in search of perfection!

Cheers,

TonyAAA

Mar 21, 2004 at 6:42 AM Post #13 of 28
IMO, the strength of the DT880's is by far the soundstage. I am not a fan of their detail though. Because they don't have much.
rolleyes.gif
Maybe this is just because Ive been spoiled by my etys and my brothers grado hp-1000.
redface.gif

I have grown to realize (apart from the fact that my brother pointed this out first hand) that there is quite a lot of midbass with these cans. It seems at times that the midbass kind of blurrs out some of the details. I also think that these cans have rather rolled off highs. They seem subdued.

Unfortuneatley, I was in love with these cans when i first put them on, but now the only strength that seems worth it to me now is the soundstage.
frown.gif

Anywho, thats my spiel.
Dan

Mar 21, 2004 at 7:25 AM Post #14 of 28
Hm.. that doesn't sound like the DT880 to me at all - I find they have plenty of detail, even when compared to the ER-4.

Midbass is controlled and doesn't interfere with lower end details at all and the highs can often come across as a little too forward.
The DT880 really does benefit from good amplification though, underpowering them tends to make them sound a bit slow and muddy.

Mar 21, 2004 at 7:40 AM Post #15 of 28
Well this is IMO, but i can assure you that I am not underpowering them. I use them with a gilmore dact v1.

I dont know why it seems to sound this way, it just does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back