DT880 leakage
Jan 22, 2014 at 5:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Bojo

New Head-Fier
How much DT880 leak sound compare to DT990 PRO or Sennheiser 598 i heard they are semi open but i need to know how well they are isolating sound because i have now 990,598, but im forced to use closed DT770 which are quite bassy. Im in room with someone and i can't afford to run fully open headphones.

Jan 23, 2014 at 9:33 AM Post #2 of 9
The DT880 leak a lot of sound. I tried using my old pair at my factory job and even in that semi-loud environment people would complain. It's basically an open headphone in terms of sound leakage. Here's a pic of my old pair disassembled. You can see why it leaks sound.

Without the grill

I had them apart so I could do this

Jan 24, 2014 at 4:37 AM Post #4 of 9
You should consider finding another version of the DT770, I'm assuming you're using the 80 ohm version which are the most bassy. Try the 250 ohm version, the bass is supposed to be more refined.
http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-770-PRO-250-ohms/dp/B0006NL5SM

Before you do that though, I think you should do this: Reomve the white cap on the back of the driver that you can see here in this picture. That large piece with the little bit of white foam in the center is just a cap that covers the back of the driver to create pressure and improve the bass response, if it's removed it gives the headphones a little less bass and makes the higher frequencies pop a little more. The DT880 and 990 DO NOT have that cap. That would be the cheapest option for you right now, and it could solve your bass problem with the DT770. Just take the pads off, pop out the ring that hold the black felt to the can, and the driver assembly should come out rather easily. Below are some pics of me taking my driver out of my old DT880.

NO CAP!!

Jan 24, 2014 at 6:37 AM Post #5 of 9
Thanks for detailed replies. The thing is I share my room with my brother and we both want some 150ich headphones we tried a lot of them. 

http://imgur.com/Oe2da51

K550 harsh treble around 4K bass on low side 
Over-hyped M50 everything is deep sounding mids are on bassy side
Senheiser 598 Extremely conformable from mids to highs very smooth, bass is decent but nothing special
Then we got baredynamics which i had only 770, 990 both pro versions 250ohms
770 very boomy bass kind of like in cinema 
990 just best of all i tried {not better than Sony MA900 :D}

The thing is 990 are just open 770 i know closed headphones will always sound more bassy and different than open.
Then i tried listening test with my brother next to me and we decided that sound leakage is not that big of an issue but it would help just a little improvement lets say just 20%
lees leakage would be perfect. Thats what this topic was all about .
Thanks for nice pictures of open 880 i was looking on the interwebs how they are build inside to figure out if there is any blockage but i couldnt find such nice pictures like you provided. After what i have read i think im going to go for double 990s because 880 would have less bass and wouldnt seal more.Also lot of people claiming that 990 are the best of three.English is not my native language so sorry for any mistakes.

Jan 24, 2014 at 6:39 AM Post #6 of 9
Thanks for detailed replies. The thing is I share my room with my brother and we both want some 150ich headphones we tried a lot of them. 

imgur com/Oe2da51

K550 harsh treble around 4K bass on low side 
Over-hyped M50 everything is deep sounding mids are on bassy side
Senheiser 598 Extremely conformable from mids to highs very smooth, bass is decent but nothing special
Then we got baredynamics which i had only 770, 990 both pro versions 250ohms
770 very boomy bass kind of like in cinema 
990 just best of all i tried {not better than Sony MA900 :D}The thing is 990 are just open 770 i know closed headphones will always sound more bassy and different than open.

Then i tried listening test with my brother next to me and we decided that sound leakage is not that big of an issue but it would help just a little improvement lets say just 20%
lees leakage would be perfect. Thats what this topic was all about .
Thanks for nice pictures of open 880 i was looking on the interwebs how they are build inside to figure out if there is any blockage but i couldnt find such nice pictures like you provided. After what i have read i think im going to go for double 990s because 880 would have less bass and wouldnt seal more.Also lot of people claiming that 990 are the best of three.English is not my native language so sorry for any mistakes

Jan 24, 2014 at 6:45 AM Post #7 of 9
I argue that the 880 are the best of the 3.they offer more mids and are closer to a balanced sound between treble and bass. I was just trying to help the isolation issue with all of myprevious posts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back