DT880, K701 or HD600? Oh, what to do...
Feb 9, 2008 at 6:49 PM Post #46 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by classic_rock_69 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, I wouldn't put any other name in that spot. Beyers don't scale like sennies.

so you're saying beyers are less revealing of the source and amp than sennies?

Feb 9, 2008 at 7:21 PM Post #47 of 56
Quote:

No, I wouldn't put any other name in that spot. Beyers don't scale like sennies.

SO let me tell you that I can hear music and sound, say, like from real life in my rig, and when I plug in the HD600's - it's a beautiful B/S about music. No more beautiful than that from the Beyers while not so realistic. Have you ever seen professionals using Senns? They mostly appear with the AKGs or Beyers on their heads. I want to hear the truth which is the most beautiful interpretation and presentation of the recorded music. I don't like headphones playing their own melodies however I have to admit - the HD600's are very pleasant.

Feb 9, 2008 at 8:55 PM Post #48 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SO let me tell you that I can hear music and sound, say, like from real life in my rig, and when I plug in the HD600's - it's a beautiful B/S about music. No more beautiful than that from the Beyers while not so realistic. Have you ever seen professionals using Senns? They mostly appear with the AKGs or Beyers on their heads. I want to hear the truth which is the most beautiful interpretation and presentation of the recorded music. I don't like headphones playing their own melodies however I have to admit - the HD600's are very pleasant.

I've had dt880's. The 600's are more neutral and show off the source and amp better. They don't over emphasize any part of the music. If the recording is bad you hear it, if the recording is good you hear it.

Doomz- Well it's a fine line. Beyers scale well too as do most high end headphones. But there is something about the sennies neutrality and transparancy that allows you to experience the source/amp far better.

I've gone through a whole wack load of equipment lately, i had the beyers and the k701's and the 325i's but got rid of them all for the 600's. Going through all these headphones and sources/amps I thought the 600's represented the music the way I thought it should sound.

Feb 9, 2008 at 8:58 PM Post #49 of 56
Quote:

Majkel, once you start listening to better sources and amps you will see what I mean about the sennies. Your set-up in your sig is not even close to good enough to drive them properly.

Feb 9, 2008 at 9:55 PM Post #51 of 56
all the talk about HD650 v K701..they are more alike than different...granted your amp is at least decent
wink.gif

Feb 9, 2008 at 10:08 PM Post #52 of 56
Quote:

Your set-up in your sig is not even close to good enough to drive them properly.

You are actually unable to tell what it sounds like so your statements are kind of risky. I know you have some expectations comparing the size of my amp, but the power supply is separate for instance, and it still means nothing as I did not copy any design nor used popular solution. The greatest advantage of my rig is that I can tweak a single part like a capacitor to suit the headphones properly, and I do it. Secondly, I don't know your Theta model but I'm familiar with the DSP Generation V balanced sound compared directly to my un-modded CDP, and I know the progress made in my source since then. I'd say my CD player is close to the Theta DSP Gen.V now, while sounds the way I like which took me many hours of tweaking and choosing right components so eventual differences wouldn't necessarily be on the bad side. I'm telling you that I have impression of real music on the DT880 Pro's '05 - did you try this certain model? I had a choice of standard DT880's and Pro's, and I made a choice after AB comparison. Maybe I'm a special kind of an audiophile but still observe no comments saying about the Senns "wow, it's like being there!". The difference between the DT880 Pro's and the HD600's is so big that no matter what amp I take, the difference must remain, and the Beyers will be on the right side IMHO. Starting from the build quality standpoint - Sennheisers lose. Then, there is "cable" against cable in the Beyers. Flimsy clickable plug extension against threaded plug in the Beyers. Why the HD600's should be better? They are just different, for other tastes or maybe music genres, I don't know. For me it's Grados or Beyers being closest to the real music.

Feb 9, 2008 at 10:33 PM Post #53 of 56
Quote:

You are actually unable to tell what it sounds like so your statements are kind of risky. I know you have some expectations comparing the size of my amp, but the power supply is separate for instance, and it still means nothing as I did not copy any design nor used popular solution. The greatest advantage of my rig is that I can tweak a single part like a capacitor to suit the headphones properly, and I do it. Secondly, I don't know your Theta model but I'm familiar with the DSP Generation V balanced sound compared directly to my un-modded CDP, and I know the progress made in my source since then. I'd say my CD player is close to the Theta DSP Gen.V now, while sounds the way I like which took me many hours of tweaking and choosing right components so eventual differences wouldn't necessarily be on the bad side. I'm telling you that I have impression of real music on the DT880 Pro's '05 - did you try this certain model? I had a choice of standard DT880's and Pro's, and I made a choice after AB comparison. Maybe I'm a special kind of an audiophile but still observe no comments saying about the Senns "wow, it's like being there!". The difference between the DT880 Pro's and the HD600's is so big that no matter what amp I take, the difference must remain, and the Beyers will be on the right side IMHO. Starting from the build quality standpoint - Sennheisers lose. Then, there is "cable" against cable in the Beyers. Flimsy clickable plug extension against threaded plug in the Beyers. Why the HD600's should be better? They are just different, for other tastes or maybe music genres, I don't know. For me it's Grados or Beyers being closest to the real music.

Cool, enjoy your beyers.

Feb 10, 2008 at 2:30 AM Post #54 of 56
Quote:

Beyers scale quite well...Sennies may or may not scale better, but that doesn't change that Beyers still scale quite well.

Mar 2, 2008 at 2:08 PM Post #55 of 56
Between a k601 and the dt880, which one do you think is more forgiving towards the recording and amp?

My pocket is a bit shallower, and I'll start off running these from a mini^3 and onboard sound. Maybe by the time I finish college, I'll upgrade to a better source, and spend maybe $200 max upgrading to a better amp.

Mar 2, 2008 at 7:37 PM Post #56 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Between a k601 and the dt880, which one do you think is more forgiving towards the recording and amp?

My pocket is a bit shallower, and I'll start off running these from a mini^3 and onboard sound. Maybe by the time I finish college, I'll upgrade to a better source, and spend maybe $200 max upgrading to a better amp.

601s are more forgiving toward choice of recording, 880s are easier to drive. K601s are a load, tougher to drive than the 701s. A little more rounded tone and less detail make them less picky about recording quality

Users who are viewing this thread

Back