DT880, K701 or HD600? Oh, what to do...
Feb 7, 2008 at 10:50 PM Post #31 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by tako_tsubo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since slwiser brought up the Ultrasone HFi 780's....since some consider the trebles alittle bright on ultrasones ( I have the 2500 and they are just right) how would the trebles be compared to the 880's?

The DT880 are going to sound a bit brighter than the HFI-780s. At least the early version of the DT880 that I had would have and those were 2003 editions I think.

Feb 7, 2008 at 10:57 PM Post #32 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by rincewind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HOW MANY TIMES CAN THIS QUESTION BE ASKED? DEAR GOD!!!

How may grains of sand on the shore?
How many stars in the sky above?
How many souls striving for audio nirvana?

cool.gif

Feb 7, 2008 at 11:00 PM Post #33 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by kappa_ii /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i think dt880pro is not like 05 or 03 - because is not bright !

Have you compared them beside each other? I have the dt880 05 non-pro, and do NOT concider it especially bright, especially after listening to ms2i and dt990. I'm even trying to increase the midrange brightness in my rig to brighten up the dt880 a bit.

Feb 8, 2008 at 10:19 AM Post #34 of 56
After some tweaking of my headphone amp, I can say that the HD600's midrange is brighter and warmer than the DT880 Pro's but... The Beyerdynamics sound more realistic to me, lots of ambience, air, open space and bigger soundstage in all dimensions - also in regards of getting close to your ears. Actually - HD600's are a specific but very enjoyable pleasure. they have significantly more bass and "unfocused" trebles, the DT880 Pro's are more precise, the midrange is darker and kind of sweet but not as warm and filled as in the HD600's. I no longer suppose the HD600's from my friend are damaged. Simply, I find the Beyer's or Grado's kind of presentation as more accurate but it might not be what some people look for in music.

Feb 8, 2008 at 8:04 PM Post #35 of 56
Thanks for everyone's opinions and comments. You've all been a big help.

The SR225's have departed, and although the DT880 kept tempting me, I've gone with the HD600. Hopefully these are going to match up well with my (on its way) ASL MG Head DT/OTL MKIII.

I was listening to my SR60's last night, and to be honest, I think that the Sennheiser's are going to be a warm welcomed friend.

-Tom

Feb 8, 2008 at 8:09 PM Post #36 of 56
Oh yeah, and the bonus...

My dad dropped by yesterday to give me a NOS Siemens 12AX7 for the ASL, plus he said he has a stash of Telefunken's if I wanted to roll those too when the amp shows.

I love having an audiophile father.

Feb 8, 2008 at 8:26 PM Post #37 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by manofmathematics /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My dad dropped by yesterday to give me a NOS Siemens 12AX7 for the ASL, plus he said he has a stash of Telefunken's if I wanted to roll those too when the amp shows.

Your dad is the man! My dad just farts really loudly.

Anyways, my vote is for the AKG K701, provided that you have adequate amplifier to power them. They seem pickier than the other cans mentioned, from what I read. I get what people are saying about the Senns being the easier cans to listen to, but I get great, natural level of soundstaging and detail playback through the AKGs. Maybe it's b/c I'm more of a speakers guy than a headphone guy, but I get greater fidelity of accuracy from the AKGs.

Feb 8, 2008 at 11:19 PM Post #38 of 56
i remember having the grado RS-1. $650 dollars holy moly
different sound i can't say better overall. great on rock has raw feel.
bad for playing counterstrike. grenade explosions sounded like the grenade was thrown in a fart machine.

i got the dt880 pro...i hav a question tho. how would buying lets say... the predator amp/dac compare to the headphone jack of a marantz home theater amp?
is it day and night type of difference?...you know with the price of the predator, it better be, no?

Feb 8, 2008 at 11:38 PM Post #39 of 56
If you like Grados you should definitely like DT880s or DT990s.

You listen mostly to rock it seems...so I'ld rule the very neutral K701s out

Feb 9, 2008 at 2:41 AM Post #40 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by KimbaWLion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have had my Senn 600s for a LONG time and I had 580s before them. I noticed a pretty big difference for me and I was pretty happy. I made a minor improvement by going to a Clau Blue cable which DID sound better than the stock and was SUPER cheap as it was the last one at Headroom and being the great guys they were gave me a great price $50.00! So my set up has changed VERY VERY little in years other than the recent Amp addition, which to be honest, was an AMAZING change for me. You can see what the rest in the Sig.

Sorry to threadjack but shouldn't the HD580 and HD600 sound the same? I thought they used the same drivers.

Feb 9, 2008 at 3:20 AM Post #41 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by nutkicker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry to threadjack but shouldn't the HD580 and HD600 sound the same? I thought they used the same drivers.

Driver matching is more stringent with the HD600, and the construction more solid/massive. The HD580 share the same basic sound signature, but the HD600 are more refined, detailed and enjoyable, IMHO. With tweaking--in particular, refitting the HD580 with the HD600 metal screening, the former is reportedly said to be made to sound very similar to the latter.

Feb 9, 2008 at 8:45 AM Post #42 of 56
Those hd600's will scale very well as you continue your audio journy. New amps and sources will be obvious and enjoyable. hd600's are a fabulous single ended headphone for all kinds of music listening. Enjoy.

Feb 9, 2008 at 11:30 AM Post #43 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by classic_rock_69 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those hd600's will scale very well as you continue your audio journy. New amps and sources will be obvious and enjoyable. hd600's are a fabulous single ended headphone for all kinds of music listening. Enjoy.

Actually, you can replace the word "HD600" each time above for "DT880", and it remains true, probably other headphones would also fit in.
wink.gif

Feb 9, 2008 at 5:29 PM Post #44 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, you can replace the word "HD600" each time above for "DT880", and it remains true, probably other headphones would also fit in.
wink.gif

No, I wouldn't put any other name in that spot. Beyers don't scale like sennies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back