dt880, is it for me?
Jun 25, 2008 at 8:20 PM Post #16 of 23
thanks for all your help btw

i really do have to try the sonys sometime i really have the feeling they will fit electronica quite well, but from peoples views i think i will need an amp first

so far there is no real contender that has been suggested tat fits as good as the dt880 seems to fit

but yeah, if there is a uk meet somewhere within 200 mile radius i will go, alas hasnt been yet

i think its the only way to sample a few headphones with amps

Jun 26, 2008 at 1:16 PM Post #17 of 23
Quote:

I think they're not know for bass quality only with bass heads. Bass impact doesn't equal quality, at least not IMO. I wouldn't want a more impactful headphone than the DT880.

I said quantity, not quality. And I'm far from bass head, and value midrange and treble more than bass. But I wouldnt want any less bass than DT880 can offer. Are you sure we are talking about same headphone? Or are you just oversensitive to low registers? DT880 bass isnt boosted in anyway nor its particularly impactive either, in both '05 and '03 which I used to own. Its the treble that has slight but clear dominance over both mids and bass.

*edit* And I just read the thread where OP complained DT880 '05 with boomy bass. And third poster said it had more bass than RS1 + flats. Mine had less midbass than RS1 + bowls which already has boosted midbass IME and flats are overblown. And I had them at same time! What!? Product variance? Allright, mine were recabled with shortened HD650 cable but that couldnt be it. And when I had DT880 '03 I also had my first SR225 and DT880 didnt have more bass than SR225 + bowls, just more extension to deeper registers.

Jun 26, 2008 at 2:14 PM Post #18 of 23
Because DT880 '05 seems has turned to rather controversial headphone, so AKG K701 might be better choice. It offers similar sound but in AKG soundsignature. I still dont understand the bass boom issue some people seem to have with DT880. Beagle even said about his piece that he notices more midbass prominence than PL2500 and HD650! Thats impossible, jesus...

Jun 26, 2008 at 2:36 PM Post #19 of 23
Ok maybe I can help you, since I've owned the D2000's and the MS-2's which should be sort of similiar to the 325i's.

I can tell you this, The DT-880's bass is NOWHERE NEAR the D2000's bass, denons bass has lots of weight to it, way too much to the point it was taking over my music imo, which is one reason why I sold mine. The 880's have perfect amount of bass for me, it goes low, and has the bass impact, but not the weight of the D2000's bass, it certainly isn't anemic in bass like the K701's though. The d2000's extend higher in the highs, DT-880s have more soundstage and they are quite a bit airier in comparison to the d2000's. Apart from those, they sound very similiar imo.

So to put it in a nutshell D2000's to me were like a bassy dt-880 with less air, a tiny bit less soundstage, more bass and more extended highs. This is when both are run out of a tube amp. DT-880s don't sound very involving at all out of a solid state from my experience, they just sound boring. Whilst I think the opposite is true with the D2000.

You can't say you've heard the DT-880's until you hear them out of a tube amp :p

Hope that helps

*edit* oh yea I just got your colour code in your sig as well, lucky I didn't compare them to the MS-2s :p

Jun 26, 2008 at 4:31 PM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I said quantity, not quality. And I'm far from bass head, and value midrange and treble more than bass. But I wouldnt want any less bass than DT880 can offer. Are you sure we are talking about same headphone? Or are you just oversensitive to low registers? DT880 bass isnt boosted in anyway nor its particularly impactive either, in both '05 and '03 which I used to own. Its the treble that has slight but clear dominance over both mids and bass.

*edit* And I just read the thread where OP complained DT880 '05 with boomy bass. And third poster said it had more bass than RS1 + flats. Mine had less midbass than RS1 + bowls which already has boosted midbass IME and flats are overblown. And I had them at same time! What!? Product variance? Allright, mine were recabled with shortened HD650 cable but that couldnt be it. And when I had DT880 '03 I also had my first SR225 and DT880 didnt have more bass than SR225 + bowls, just more extension to deeper registers.

I think there might be variations in production. In another thread, people were comparing the DT880 to K601. With my system, the DT880 has more impactful bass than the K601. Other people's experience was the exact opposite. My DT880 '05 is the bassiest headphone I own. Admittedly, I don't own a lot a bassy headphones.

Jun 26, 2008 at 4:33 PM Post #21 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Al4x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what does their bass sound like? cause i dont like the denons bass?

I find the bass range rather blurry, indistinct and also overly present in the midbass. Everything sounds glued together in a large blob effect. You really need to audition these, unfortunately.

Jun 26, 2008 at 4:57 PM Post #22 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think there might be variations in production. In another thread, people were comparing the DT880 to K601. With my system, the DT880 has more impactful bass than the K601. Other people's experience was the exact opposite. My DT880 '05 is the bassiest headphone I own. Admittedly, I don't own a lot a bassy headphones.

Indeed. In my ears my K601 also had eenyweeny more bass than DT880. But I think some of that is because of AKG-esque midrange resulting in fuller sound. This led me to sell DT880 and keep K601, K601 simply sounded nicer because of its fuller sound.

Jun 26, 2008 at 6:06 PM Post #23 of 23
They are pretty close. I've kept both because one's at work and ones at home. Neither get much head time because of the stats and orthos though. For me, planars kill dynamics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back