DT880 IS HERE!
Dec 30, 2006 at 9:23 PM Post #31 of 79
Congrats, Maza, it looks like we both had a great Christmas
icon10.gif

I'm assuming you got the 03 Beyer since you expected a coiled cable, but it looks like you paid a premium - it only costs $150 here in the US. Oh well, good sound is still good sound...

I noticed the same "harshness" you did when I first heard the 880, especially coming from the rolled off highs of the K501, but after about 30 or so hours of burnin it's gone. I still leave it EQ'd -2db at the highest treble, which makes it still a little better for me, but it's very tolerable. I'm sure my tube amp helps a lot too
very_evil_smiley.gif

Have fun with your new cans!

Dec 30, 2006 at 9:26 PM Post #32 of 79
Quote:

I'm assuming you got the 03 Beyer since you expected a coiled cable, but it looks like you paid a premium - it only costs $150 here in the US. Oh well, good sound is still good sound...

Naah, everything is overpriced here due to (#"/"!¤#(" taxes over taxes and taxing because of tax etc... I did careful research to get cheapest local price i can get.

Quote:

Have fun with your new cans!

I will.
biggrin.gif

Dec 30, 2006 at 10:30 PM Post #33 of 79
Ok, i cant wait for next week. Im ready to post all my impressions!

Im not good at writing reviews, but this is best i can do. This is what im feeling. I apologise for lack of better descriptions, but english isnt my main language and it shows.

Ok, remember, all is very subjective and matter of taste thing.

Metal.
I started with some Power Metal, cuz emericanchaos asked me about DT880's perfomance in that type of music. Dark Moor - The Hall Of The Olden Dreams album. Started with DT880. Guitars come with nice energy and drums have very good kick. Bass is as strong as it is in the recording, or so it seems with these headphones. Soundstage is big, yet not laid back luckily. Female vocals (not good example of "feminine" vocals as Elisa bas slight boyish tone in his voice. Suitable for this epic music) and choirs have natural color. Sound is overall airy enough and i dont get the same feeling of chokedness as i did with HD595.

Now, to the SR225. Errr... Where are the lower mids? They are seriously recessed, i notice after DT880. But guitars have good bite and energy. Drums have again very nice kick. Soundstage is really small, extreme left and right imaging mainly. But now the worst problem, overall tone of sound is bit metallic sounding: Bright and thin. It kinda annoys me now that i have something i really like to compare against.

But SR225 did manage to surprise me once. At the beginning of the song "Somewhere In Dreams" when vocs begin, there is some keyboard on extreme left. With when i putted Grados on, they where shoved down my ear clear as day. With DT880 i didnt notice it at first. DT880 is more detailed, but SR225 pronounced it for some reason.
blink.gif

Overall, i preferred DT880 in this.

Anyway, onwards to my fav music. Death and Black Metal.

Ookay, first Black Metal. This genre is difficult to review cuz every band has bit different aims in sound.
Production quality rarely represents real instrument due to intentional "low-production sound" and such that is common in this music, so i stay in reproduction of atmosphere and energy, and "buzz".
icon10.gif

Played songs Darkthrone - Kathaarian Lifecode and Negura Bunget - Inarborat. Started with Darkthrone. Music is thin, layered and almost nonexistent bass. DT880 has solid and distant presentation. Guitars that are very overdriven and thin buzz, well, sound buzzy. Atmosphere is there.

SR225. Well, the metallic sound and recessed low-mids strike me here again. Guitars sound more buzzy than DT880. Presentation is solid here aswell, but is seriously closer. Not as atmospheric because of that.
Draw. Different presentation of same stuff.

To song Negura Bunget - Inarborat. I just !skipped! the ambient-drumming part of the beginning. This blackmetal is less buzzy, and more layered wall-of-sound. Keyboards in the background, guitars following the melody producing harmonic presentation. Again, with DT880's deeper soundstage the music is whole. Atmosphere is top notch. Cannot say anything else, cuz i would be repeating myself.

SR225. Metallic sounding again. SR225 breaks the wall-of-sound effect. I feel it separates the instruments much. There is something missing between them, no atmosphere.
DT880 wins clearly.

Death Metal and Grindcore.
Now, we talk about pure energy and aggression. Headbanging! I wont go into details, cuz everything i can describe about sound of these headphones are said already. Rotten Sound - Burden representing Grindcore, and Malevolent Creation - Sacrificial Annihilation for Death Metal.

Rotten Sound. Guitars are overdriven multiple times, very distorted and bassily reverbing. DT880 has energy and is feet tapping. Sound doesnt blur under the mayhem of this music.
SR225. Helluva lot more aggressive than DT880. Intimate and headbanging. Bass is kicking and sound is clear. Hard on ears, but i like it.
icon10.gif

SR225 wins with fun factor, but DT880 fares well.

Malevolent Creation. Pretty much same rules apply as with Rotten Sound. But guitars are more fuller and flowing distortion than rottensounds violent sharp crushing and grinding. DT880 follows guitars as its recorded in album. Nothing to complain.

SR225. Again, way more aggressive. Guitars sound really sharp. Not how it is recorded (noticeably less full sounding), but fun! Low mids are missing, but they arent really needed this time.
SR225 wins in fun factor again.

I dont bother to compare in classical and ambient. DT880 pretty much crushes SR225 there.
icon10.gif

*EDIT* Oh, i completely forgot final words. There are times SR225 shines, but there is nothing DT880 cannot do atleast satisfyinly. Really, i guess SR225 will gather dust now. In those songs where they shine, they dont sound THAT good compared to DT880 that headphone swapping would be necessary.

I also did some bass testing on Gorelord - Norwegian Chainsaw Massacre album. DT880 was noticeably fuller and more extended in bass. And there is one slow part in song Man Of Sh**, with VERY low bass. SR225 sounded bit choked and weak, where DT880 was strong (not in boomy way, just strong) and deep. DT880 weak in bass my ass!!!

Dec 31, 2006 at 10:27 AM Post #34 of 79
How many times have we head that DT880s aren't for rock? :wink:

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... producing harmonic presentation. Again, with DT880's deeper soundstage the music is whole. Atmosphere is top notch.

Yeah, that's pretty much why I like them for some metal. I'm not a metalhead (anymore) but I still listen to some of that stuff from time to time.

I think you're being too generous with the Beyers though. Not that they aren't good of course but I find their sound signature unpleasant to borderline painful with some noisy music and poor recordings. Let me venture a few possible explanations for our differences of opinion:
-new toy syndrome
-your headphone of reference has some of the flaws of the DT880s so you don't notice them
-your source/amp makes the Beyers less detailed and unforgiving than what most people use (they sound better with noisy music out of lesser gear or coloured gear for me)
-you are discriminating and your music is simply better and/or better recorded than a lot of the trash I listen to
-different listening volume possibly (I don't like to listen loud)
-last but not least... personal tastes obviously

I particularily like how the DT880s present live recordings... have you already tried some? That and good binaural recordings obviously.

P.S.: if you want to sell/trade your Grados, PM me. :)

Dec 31, 2006 at 11:40 AM Post #35 of 79
Quote:

I think you're being too generous with the Beyers though. Not that they aren't good of course but I find their sound signature unpleasant to borderline painful with some noisy music and poor recordings. Let me venture a few possible explanations for our differences of opinion:

My ears are very well "burned in" (or more like burned out
wink.gif
), so i dont notice any painfull things, no matter how noisy. Even Reign Of Erebus - Inversion Principle is listenable, which was disturbing with Grado + Bowls. The wierd frequency spike in sound was missing with Beyer. Same thing with Amon Amarth live DVD. With Grado + Bowls, it had disturbingly "plastic" (dunno better word) sound, but not with DT880. (i watched it again yesterday) With Grado + Flats both problems were nonexistent though.

Quote:

-new toy syndrome

Absolutely! But i had the same thing going on with SR225 which went on to this day. My first impressions have been true so far everytime. I have heard several headphones after i heard SR225, but SR225 has remained my fav until now.

Quote:

-your headphone of reference has some of the flaws of the DT880s so you don't notice them

Actually, it fixes many flaws i have been aware of with SR225. Bright, but not metallic like my Grado. (a source problem mostly. Dont have good warm tube. Elite Pro is quite dry and neutral source in my ears) Detailed, but not pronouncing. (see above amon amarth and reign of erebus comments)

Quote:

-your source/amp makes the Beyers less detailed and unforgiving than what most people use (they sound better with noisy music out of lesser gear or coloured gear for me)

Dunno. Perhaps, perhaps not. Source isnt optimal for both headphones. Look few posts above for tube-amp discussion.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

-you are discriminating and your music is simply better and/or better recorded than a lot of the trash I listen to

Disagreed. Recording quality is one element in my music which i embrace with open arms. I have some very bad quality recordings aswell.

Quote:

-different listening volume possibly (I don't like to listen loud)

Medium-loud when testing. Medium when casually listening. I remembered the the impedance difference too and made sure volumes between those two headphones were matched, so no headphone got upperhand by being louder (and therefore giving better-sound impression).

Quote:

-last but not least... personal tastes obviously

Absolutely.
wink.gif

Quote:

I particularily like how the DT880s present live recordings... have you already tried some? That and good binaural recordings obviously.

Amon Amarth - Wrath Of The Norsemen seen already. Great stuff.
biggrin.gif

Dec 31, 2006 at 12:10 PM Post #36 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dont have good warm tube. Elite Pro is quite dry and neutral source in my ears)

Same here as I'm plugging it in a pro soundcard. I don't plan on ever owning tubes though.

If you could put together a short list of metal that sounds great on the DT880s at some point, that would be nice... I haven't purchased any of that stuff in years and I should do penance.

Dec 31, 2006 at 12:51 PM Post #37 of 79
Just downloaded the samples from Amon Amrath's site (never listened to their albums)... mixed impressions but I like how Death in Fire sounds on the Beyers... way too bright but does it rock! And Gradoheads might not even mind the brightness.

This is indeed the kind of metal that could sound good on Beyers.

Dec 31, 2006 at 1:30 PM Post #38 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by HFat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just downloaded the samples from Amon Amrath's site (never listened to their albums)... mixed impressions but I like how Death in Fire sounds on the Beyers... way too bright but does it rock! And Gradoheads might not even mind the brightness.

This is indeed the kind of metal that could sound good on Beyers.

I certainly dont mind brightness. Try to listen Hermods Ride To Hell - Lokis Treachery Part 1 song from latest album and Dragons Flight Across The Waves from first album. Best songs IMHO.

Dec 31, 2006 at 1:35 PM Post #39 of 79
I too love my 880s, esp. after sending them to Moon Audio and having them recabled into copper Sounds awesome with my Supermacro IV with solidtube amp. Glad you've joined the club.

Dec 31, 2006 at 6:23 PM Post #40 of 79
MaZa, excellent review, thanks.
I don't know how that "DT880 not for rock" myth was started as my impressions pretty much echo yours when I compared them against MS2i.
They are demanding to the recording and source though because of extreme resolving power. But level of details is just unbelieavable.
eek.gif

I have sold Alessandros and never looked back as DT880 give me everything they had, only better and with comfort.

Dec 31, 2006 at 6:40 PM Post #41 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MaZa, excellent review, thanks.
I don't know how that "DT880 not for rock" myth was started as my impressions pretty much echo yours when I compared them against MS2i.
They are demanding to the recording and source though because of extreme resolving power. But level of details is just unbelieavable.
eek.gif

I have sold Alessandros and never looked back as DT880 give me everything they had, only better and with comfort.

Yeah, they do rock really well IMHO!

I wonder where that 'skipped' word dissappeared from my Negura Bunget song part in my review. Wierd.
blink.gif
Now it makes more sense.

Dec 31, 2006 at 7:02 PM Post #42 of 79
Quote:

Yeah, they do rock really well IMHO!

No reason to be "H" about it - these phones lend a "grandeur" to rock music I've not heard equaled by any other phone. That big soundstage resonates with power; it's not an in-your-face headbangingl attack, but more of a laid-back, confident power that leaves you hungry for more. Or maybe that's just me.

I've since graduated to the K701, but the DT880's unique approach to rock is the one thing I miss.
frown.gif

Dec 31, 2006 at 8:34 PM Post #43 of 79
My fave song from that album is "Gods of war Arise" on a speaker system playing pretty loud, its just wicked, and the gutiar and bass is so low and everything just shakes the room
smily_headphones1.gif

and on my sisters panasonic rp-hje50 it also sounds really cool, everything seems to be echoing in your head.

do you have any input on more brutal sounding death metal? (eg: warface, braindrill, Nile, Behemoth(death/black really)?

This is a cool thread, sure theres plenty of dt-880 review threads, but not to many in the metal genre.

Dec 31, 2006 at 8:41 PM Post #44 of 79
Maza, I think you need some tubes to really do the DT880s justice. Without them, I find the 880s are just too bright - the tubes round them off and make them much more "comfortable" to listen to IMO.

I use my 880s as my main rock can. I can't stand Grados - too harsh for me. I think the 880s sit perfectly between the soft K501 and the hard Grados to make the right rock can for me.

Dec 31, 2006 at 9:05 PM Post #45 of 79
Quote:

do you have any input on more brutal sounding death metal? (eg: warface, braindrill, Nile, Behemoth(death/black really)?

Hate Eternal was good, as was Nile - Annihilation Of Wicked. Im currently playind Decapitated - Winds Of Creation album and enjoying it.
Really, there is no element in DT880 sound that would ruin the sound of good deathmetal in my ears.
basshead.gif

Quote:

Maza, I think you need some tubes to really do the DT880s justice. Without them, I find the 880s are just too bright - the tubes round them off and make them much more "comfortable" to listen to IMO.

I KNOW I KNOW! Im working on it!
tongue.gif

I have NO trouble with brightness. I am Grado hardened guy so thats perfectly normal.
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back