DT880 good enough for me?
Jan 4, 2006 at 1:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

papakoks

100+ Head-Fier
is the DT880 good enough for me? I listen to any type of music using ALAC files thru my ipod and Hornet...any suggestions better than the DT880 along its price range? thanks all for your help!
k1000smile.gif

Jan 4, 2006 at 1:33 AM Post #2 of 31
This is a very opinion-oriented question, of course, but I happen to think the DT-880 is a great headphone capable of doing just about anything well enough not to need another headphone; the hobby isn't about need, though, is it?

Jan 4, 2006 at 1:38 AM Post #3 of 31
The 880s are available very inexpensively right now (as they're being replaced). The HD580 and SR225 are two other great phones in this price range and well driven by the Hornet.

Jan 4, 2006 at 1:44 AM Post #4 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by papakoks
is the DT880 good enough for me? I listen to any type of music using ALAC files thru my ipod and Hornet...any suggestions better than the DT880 along its price range? thanks all for your help!
k1000smile.gif

Grab it. It's a killer headphone with a huge, immersive soundstage and a very lively/energetic sound. I'd sell off my other cans easily to keep the DT880, the rest are just icing to me.

P.S. it will expose poor recordings to the bone tho.

Jan 4, 2006 at 1:45 AM Post #5 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
The 880s are available very inexpensively right now (as they're being replaced). The HD580 and SR225 are two other great phones in this price range and well driven by the Hornet.

Aye, 210$ shipped from Meier right now, just a bit of a wait on the delivery (~2 weeks or so for shipping to the States). I just couldn't resist giving the DT880's a try, so I'm waiting on my pair.

Jan 4, 2006 at 1:58 AM Post #6 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotJeffBuckley
This is a very opinion-oriented question, of course, but I happen to think the DT-880 is a great headphone capable of doing just about anything well enough not to need another headphone; the hobby isn't about need, though, is it?

i haven't purchased the DT880 yet as i'm still thinking whether the DT880 would be enough for me. and it seems like the DT880 have a lot of "fans" here.
biggrin.gif

Jan 4, 2006 at 2:39 AM Post #7 of 31
One thing I do when I think I like a headphone is to read every thread I can find on it here, browse Headphone.com and see what they have to say, look at big/detailed pictures up close, look at frequency graphs, read reviews, comparisons with other headphones, anything else available... then let my intuition go from there.

That's how I ended up with the DT880... just had the feeling that it was the headphone I'd always been looking for. But I didn't just run out & buy it even after feeling that way, I slept on it for a few days to see if it was still tempting. The DT880 passed my smell test in every way so I bought it, and indeed I was not disappointed. Auditioning would be even better, but often that's not an option.

Jan 4, 2006 at 2:52 AM Post #8 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx

yup...saw that the DT880 are being replaced with a new version and a new look...i wonder what the differences are aside from looks...

Jan 4, 2006 at 3:00 AM Post #9 of 31
The 880's are a wonderful headphone and I like them better than the Sennheiser 600 family. But they are power hungry, and although the Hornet can push the big loads, you might want to go with something with less impedance.

Jan 4, 2006 at 4:23 AM Post #12 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by papakoks
yup...saw that the DT880 are being replaced with a new version and a new look...i wonder what the differences are aside from looks...

Yep.The DT880s will be provided with a new version and they will have some sonic differences.
I'm waiting for the new version although the old DT880s are provided in a good price now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back