DT880 driver foam causes irritation
Feb 13, 2010 at 12:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Weps

New Head-Fier
Okay, this might be something odd...

My ears slightly touch the driver foam of my DT880 and after about 10 minutes my ears are getting irritated by that.

Is it normal my ears touch the foam? I don't think I have exceptionel big ears.

Can I replace the foam by something else, less irritating? Or maybe there are wider earpads available?

Does someone recognizes this problem?

Feb 13, 2010 at 1:00 AM Post #2 of 16
I have just about massive ears grown on a just about massive head. Massive, I mean by stretching both cups of the 880 fully to get a good fit.
My earlobes got crushed (not just touching) when I first put on the 880. Tuck some rather thick waste cables under the earpads and the problem will be much better, if not gone entirely. Still hoping for thick earpads (at least 1" thick).

EDIT: Full-size 'phones crush my earlobes. Earpad 'phones cook my ear canals. IEMs hurt a lot. Maybe I'm not born (grown?) to listen to headphones.

Feb 13, 2010 at 3:35 AM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3602 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

EDIT: Full-size 'phones crush my earlobes. Earpad 'phones cook my ear canals. IEMs hurt a lot. Maybe I'm not born (grown?) to listen to headphones.

I guess your only choice at this point is.... K1000!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Then again, with your luck, maybe those temple pads will drive into the side of your head!
biggrin.gif

Feb 13, 2010 at 5:06 AM Post #5 of 16
Sorry, I don't have the problem with the DT880, but I had it big time with the ATH-AD700, so I know how irritating it can be. For me, it's better if the ear actually presses against the earlobe like Grados than slightly touching.

Feb 13, 2010 at 11:24 AM Post #6 of 16
My ears only touch the foam when the pads are slightly worn. Perhaps you could stuff the pads a little.

Feb 14, 2010 at 2:37 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My ears only touch the foam when the pads are slightly worn. Perhaps you could stuff the pads a little.

Hm... so probably it will become worse after a while. That's not good.

I don't get it. You must have really small ears that almost don't stick out, if they are not touching the foam.

I'm thinking about trying the HD 650, but I don't know if it will be better..

Mar 19, 2010 at 7:28 AM Post #10 of 16
I just bought some 880's and was experiencing this same problem. I don't really have big ears either, but coming from the 770 pros to the 880's the foam on the pads is much softer and it compresses much more. I just pulled the pads off and took a piece of 1/4 inch cord and taped it around the circumference of the inside of the cup. This raises the pads up a bit and my ears are nice and free now
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 19, 2010 at 6:12 PM Post #11 of 16
can you not just take the foam out of the headphones?

Mar 27, 2010 at 7:43 PM Post #12 of 16
Today, I tucked 1/4 inch thick rope under the pads. They just manage to fit and the pads are still in place. I recommend tucking the rope in directly rather than removing the ear pads, placing the rope, then fitting the ear pads back on. I was having the same problems with my ears touching the driver foam and even causing a dent in the driver foam. Now, there's lots of room and it's very breathable. I selected rope hoping that it does not alter the sound quality significantly.

Apr 17, 2010 at 10:03 PM Post #13 of 16
Thanks for all the tips. However, I have to say I got used to the feeling my ears are touching the foam. Great headphones!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 17, 2010 at 10:25 PM Post #15 of 16
My ears touch the pad a little as well. You'd have to have unusually small/flat ears to not have this problem. I have fairly small ears.

I never got around to it, but I wanted to take a piece of felt (or two), cut it to the exact id/od of the pad and place it underneath the pad. It would make the pad sit farther away from the driver.

You can only do this so much since there is no adjustment where the pad attaches to the cup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back