DT880 and DT990 preferance
May 10, 2007 at 1:23 AM Post #3 of 47
and compared them for 3 weeks. I wound up selling the 2005 DT880's, wanting just a little more bass output. I gave up detail and some mids, and actually miss the 880's for really well recorded material.

For me, the 990's didn't point out every flaw in less than exceptional source material as much as the 880's did.

You know, if I had them both again and had to make a decision which to keep again, it would be a 50/50 proposition. Sorry, but it is a real fence-sitter.

John F

May 10, 2007 at 2:19 AM Post #4 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by barshnik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know, if I had them both again and had to make a decision which to keep again, it would be a 50/50 proposition. Sorry, but it is a real fence-sitter.

John F

I agree. I've just done the a/b tests here, and found it very difficult to choose. In the end, the 990 evoked adjectives like "engaging" ... while I do agree with assessments that the 880 produces more detail. In the end, I opted to put the 880s up for sale (still available!) and hold onto the 990s...more fun for rock, and I felt a nice compliment to my HD600s, which I feel fill my need for detail.

I just listened to songs twice and voted to myself informally...I'd say I had a mild preference for the 990s in about 70% of cases. I thought the 880 really excelled in jazz and acoustic music; 990s did well with lo fi, indie rock, electronic...for me.

Next up Beyer for me will be Darths, but it's been fun comparing, and if were not on somewhat of a phones bender at the moment, I'd keep both. I like the Beyer house sound in either presentation so far, and may choose to recable my 990 to see if that might bring out some of the detail I felt was missing in comparison with the 880.

Not a scientific comparison...I tried to make my own call for my personal tastes, with my music and sources, and pick the product with the most visceral impact at the subjective level...

May 10, 2007 at 5:35 AM Post #6 of 47
hmm... it wasn't a difficult choice for me. I prefer the '05 DT990 over the older DT880 (the one that came in the metal case).

I found the DT880 to be too bright, too thin sounding and the soundstage too wide.

There're are plenty of people who like the DT880 so don't despair. Why do you want to sell it? Remember, it's all about your ears and what you hear, not someone else's.

May 10, 2007 at 9:50 AM Post #7 of 47
I prefer the DT880.
It doesn't have a lot of bass, but I feel that it is much more accurate and less colored, top to bottom.
After a week with the DT990's, I feel that they are a touch too boomy in the bass and alittle too emphasized in the lower treble for my own tastes.

May 10, 2007 at 12:35 PM Post #8 of 47
I also prefer the DT990, but I still have both, and I still enjoy both. However, if I had to keep only one, it would be the DT990. I prefer it's overall sonic signature, which has better bass impact and a slightly less aggressive nature overall.

May 10, 2007 at 3:33 PM Post #10 of 47
My experience is just the opposite, I find the DT880 smoother and less aggressive than the 990.
But, the 990 does indeed have better bass impact and is more lively than the 880, IMHO.
Strange how people hear so differently!

May 10, 2007 at 3:51 PM Post #11 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by augustwest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've owned both, I still have and enjoy the dt990's.

- augustwest

x2

May 10, 2007 at 4:24 PM Post #12 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by daltonlanny /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My experience is just the opposite, I find the DT880 smoother and less aggressive than the 990.
But, the 990 does indeed have better bass impact and is more lively than the 880, IMHO.
Strange how people hear so differently!

I own both (though the 880 is the '03 version) and I would say that the 990 is slightly more "aggressive" because there is both more bass and treble- however I wouldn't characterize it as a brighter sounding phone because of the balance.

While the 880 does seem more netural, the 990s sound more like the speakers I have on hand,all of which I listen to near field (Quad 988, Harbeth C7 and Spendor s3/5 all of which are thought to be fairly neutral speakers).

May 10, 2007 at 7:55 PM Post #15 of 47
When I heared DT990 for the first time I was overpowered by highs , bass was ok . But it was not burned-in cans , so I"am sure that highs will be ok too
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back