DT880 : Amplification required?
Jun 15, 2005 at 8:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 75

W3ird_N3rd

New Head-Fier
I wasn't sure if I had to start this thread in Amplification of Headphones, but since I'm asking about a specific headphone, decided to go for headphones.

Since the cable of my AKG K101 is a bit broken (my fault
frown.gif
), I'm looking for something new. The Beyerdynamic DT880 looks interesting to me (yes, I like my K101 but want to try something better
tongue.gif
), , but I hear it requires (like all good headphones
frown.gif
) an amp. I don't have an amp and no idea where I could buy one that's not as expensive as the headphone itself.

I will be driving my new headphone with an M-audio Revolution 7.1. Not a bad soundcard I'd say
wink.gif
. Will this combination, DT880+Revolution, require an amp to sound acceptable?

If there's really no way around getting an amp, where in Europe (preferably in Germany/The Netherlands) do you buy these things?

Jun 15, 2005 at 9:18 AM Post #2 of 75
I don't really own this headphones, but based from majority of owners of DT880 said, I think the answer is: "HELL YEAH !"
icon10.gif

I think you'll find tons of infos on DT880 if you search for it. They're pretty commonly owned headphones around here...

Jun 15, 2005 at 9:22 AM Post #3 of 75
Hmmm.. 300 ohms? Of course, it definitely need an amp!

Jun 15, 2005 at 9:26 AM Post #4 of 75
Do you need an amp?? well no, sound will come through the headphones and it will sound OK.

Do you need an amp to get the most out of the headphone? Definately!! I am using mine with a Rega Ear ($200) and it sounds pretty good. I will admit it's probably not the best combo but I didn't have the $600 to spend on a great amp. If I had to do it over again I would absolutely try to find a tubed amp to pair them with.

Jun 15, 2005 at 9:31 AM Post #5 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok
I don't really own this headphones, but based from majority of owners of DT880 said, I think the answer is: "HELL YEAH !"
icon10.gif

I think you'll find tons of infos on DT880 if you search for it. They're pretty commonly owned headphones around here...

I did search and found out some people say "it needs an amp". But they don't say "It needs an amp, even when you already have a good soundcard".

I know for example my Mp3 player, powered by just a single AAA battery, doesn't give a lot of power. When I connect my AKG K101 to it and set maximum volume, it sounds acceptable, but not extremely loud.

When I put Winamp to 100% volume with my Revolution/K101 however, I get almost deaf (and it sounds very bad).. So the M-audio does provide more power.

It's clear to me that if I wanted to listen to the DT880 on my AAA battery Mp3 player, I'll need an amp. No doubt. But I wasn't sure if my soundcard could give enough power, it's definitely more powerfull than the Mp3 player.

Alas I still don't know where to buy an amp, so I guess I'll just get a new K101. And that only because it doesn't need the amp I can't buy
frown.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by gordolindsay
Do you need an amp?? well no, sound will come through the headphones and it will sound OK.

Do you need an amp to get the most out of the headphone? Definately!!

That's what I was looking for
tongue.gif

But what does "OK" mean in this case? I assume it'll sound better than my K101, or would it be too weak without amp? Will the volume be *very* low or also still acceptable?

[edit]
I understand impedance describes the amount of power a headphone requires? My K101 has an impedance of only 19 ohms.. The Beyer 250. I think I get it.

Makes me think about buying a Philips SBC HP1000. Doesn't sound as good probably, but at 32 ohm, I should be able to drive it without an amp.

Jun 15, 2005 at 9:47 AM Post #6 of 75
Don't ask too much. Don't try to know too much. You'll be broke.
icon10.gif

Actually what's your soundcard and what kind of music format do you listen to?
I think if you are not planning to bring DT880 to "life", you don't really need that expensive headphones.

PS: you can get amp easily from the for sale forum here.

Jun 15, 2005 at 10:04 AM Post #7 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok
Don't ask too much. Don't try to know too much. You'll be broke.
icon10.gif

Actually what's your soundcard and what kind of music format do you listen to?
I think if you are not planning to bring DT880 to "life", you don't really need that expensive headphones.

I listen to a lot of things on my M-audio Revolution 7.1
smily_headphones1.gif
. I use this computer for music (Nightwish, trance, pop and some more stuff), movies and games. I don't really care about the games though, I don't play them a lot and most sound OK without expensive headphones. The movies and music could sound better than they sound now on my K101, I think.
Quote:

PS: you can get amp easily from the for sale forum here.

I'll take a look.

Jun 15, 2005 at 2:14 PM Post #8 of 75
An amp will improve the DT880's sound quality, as well as most other headphones.

The difference is not only an amp's ability to drive the DT880 to higher volume levels, but also the sound quality when listening at low volume levels.

A low quality amp may not improve the sound much. It may also make the DT880 sound worse.

A hypothetical example: the DT880 paired with Amp A sounds better than the ATH-A900 paired with Amp A. When the DT880 is paired with Amp B, it sounds worse than the ATH-A900 paired with Amp B, as well as the DT880 or A900 paired with Amp A.

If the DT880 paired with the M-Audio Revolution 7.1 sounds similar to the DT880 straight out of an iPod, I would say you need an amp.

Jun 15, 2005 at 2:28 PM Post #9 of 75
will this be ur only purchase? if so then buy a more efficent headphone

if you intend to buy an amp in the future, yes u will get sound now, but nowhere as wha the dt880 can do.

accoridng to a certain member "the dt880 need an amp to even get out of bed"

Jun 15, 2005 at 3:20 PM Post #10 of 75
I'm currently running my DT 880s straight off the 7/8 jack of my Revo 7.1. It's fine and can drive to very-loud-almost-uncomfortable volumes (in my opinion). My normal listening volume is 3-6 notches on the master volume slider in the revo drivers. It's fine straight off the source in my opinion. Off other weaker sources, you probably will need an amp.

I don't really buy into the "adding an amp will improve sound quality" argument since i believe adding the amp colours the signal for better or for worse.

That being said, I am in the middle of building an amp (ppav2 either in low gain ~5x or maybe just a current buffer)
tongue.gif

edit: I've tried my DT 880s off other soundcards (Intel 915 audio chipset whatever it is, some onboard realtek based card, sblive, sb audigy1, sbaudigy 2) and they don't quite drive the headphones as loud as the revo does, but is certainly loud enough for me (not deafening).

Jun 15, 2005 at 4:39 PM Post #11 of 75
The EarMax Anniversary Edition gives to the DT 880 an amazing performance in all the aspects, and (IMO) the system is one of the best I ever heard and had (any price...) Point!

Best!
Nicola

Jun 15, 2005 at 6:40 PM Post #13 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by silvalis
I don't really buy into the "adding an amp will improve sound quality" argument since i believe adding the amp colours the signal for better or for worse.

You should try listening to headphones out of my receiver then. It will play as loud as anyone could want and sound horrible through the entire range of the spectrum. Meanwhile my little Total Airhead out of the tape output sounds far, far better even though it won't blast nearly as loud (and is far less colored).

There is a reason all of the high-end audio companies that make amplifiers are able to sell them. Good, clean, purpose-built amplification makes a significant difference. Whether or not there is coloration introduced (with many tube amps that is intentional) is a separate subject. Adding an amp could actually decrease the coloration by removing the dependence on an inferior component that is currently adding more coloration to the signal.

Additionally the TAH out of the iPod brings back the bass presence that the iPod headphone output seems to subtract (also reducing coloration). Comparing to another less bass-deficient source without the TAH there doesn't appear to be any additional bass added by it, it just brings it back to the "normal" level.

Ant

Jun 15, 2005 at 8:25 PM Post #14 of 75
The 880, like every decent 'phone I've heard, sounds better with a good amp. Period. But that's not to say it's unlistenable with a less-worthy amp.

With my 880s, I notice more degradation of sound quality from listening to music that's been ripped at a slightly lowered bitrate than I do switching from my Prehead to either my Mac G5 or iPod as a source.

Put another way, the 880s plugged directly into my iPod (although it looks WEIRD) has garnered more "I didn't know headphones could sound so good" sorts of comments from co-workers than I can count. You and I may know and appreciate that they'll sound even better as you improve their signal diet, but that doesn't change the fact that they'll sound very good with just a decent sound card.

Jun 15, 2005 at 9:34 PM Post #15 of 75
I definitely suggest a dedicated amplifier. Without it I think you wouldn't be doing them justice.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back