DT880/600 + LDMKIII volume question
Jan 15, 2010 at 8:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

kikkomaso

Head-Fier
I received my Beyerdynamic DT880/600 and the Little Dot MK III a few days ago. I have a question regarding the "volume" of my system cause I have around 50%-80% hearing loss (depends on the frequency) from a birth defect so what's loud to others is not loud to me.

As a result, my comfortable hearing level requires me to boost my X-Fi soundcard volume to 100% in Windows, Windows Media Player to 100%, and my Little Dot MK III to almost 90%.

I thought maybe the PC wasn't the best way to test it so I plugged these headphones directly into my home theatre receiver, a Harmon Kardon AVR-254, and I had to turn the volume up to 9 out of 100 (1 being the loudest) to hear dialogue comfortably. If I listen through my speakers; this value is at 45 for normal viewing.

This is my first real audio purchase so I had no idea when people said these were hard to drive they meant HARD TO DRIVE. Now granted I can crank the volume up to acceptable levels if I max out everything but this can't be healthy for my equipment in the long term right? Should I return these DT880/600s and get the DT880/250s or even the DT880/80s in my situation?

Jan 15, 2010 at 9:04 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by kikkomaso /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Errr nope. What are those D:

They change how much volume you gain.

Jan 15, 2010 at 9:27 PM Post #5 of 5
I did not know that...
biggrin.gif
Looks like these units ship out with a gain of 5 so I have to bump it up to 10. Can't wait to fix this when I get off work then! Are there any other tweaks I should be aware of?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back