Dt880 32 ohm???
Apr 25, 2006 at 6:14 PM Post #2 of 11
Well I havent' heard the 30 ohm version myself, but Jan Meier thinks that:

"Differences in sound to the high-impedance version of the DT880 are very small indeed. This is a first choice if a portable player is used without additional amplification."

---> http://www.meier-audio.homepage.t-online.de/

PS. What a boring way to write one's first reply; quote someone else...

Apr 25, 2006 at 6:31 PM Post #3 of 11
its best when you buy them from Jan Meier, because in the "Manufaktur" from Beyerdynamic they will cost a lot more...

I guess they only make sense on portable devices

Apr 25, 2006 at 7:50 PM Post #4 of 11
I am expecting the 32 ohm version of the DT880 from Beyer by the end of the week. I asked Beyer the difference between these and the 250 ohm model and they replied there was no difference, based on impedance. The 32 ohm version will be driven very easily with portables - no amp really needed.

It was a little difficult communicating about my order, because their site was not set up properly for an electronic withdrawal. I finally received an e-mail order number and a price of 266.20 USD for the pair, which actually seemed a little low based on their site price of 274 Euros (which is about $339.56).
The order was sent as a bank transfer, which cost an additional $35.

Apr 26, 2006 at 1:12 AM Post #5 of 11
So even if one plans to get great amps in the future, this will improve as much as the 250 ohm version??? OOOOHHHH wonder why its not very popular around here

May 7, 2006 at 2:06 AM Post #6 of 11
Thank you for that response, I am going to buy those to use with the
HD1500, instead of Bose QC2s.

This is maybe a dumb question I know to some high audiophiles this is a foul comparison but

how would the DT880s in general compare to Bose QC2s?

Has anyone heard or demoed these side by side?

May 7, 2006 at 2:21 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by sfxjames
This is maybe a dumb question I know to some high audiophiles this is a foul comparison but

I doubt there would be much point... the DT880 sound like they're worth the ~$250 they sell for (or more), and just about everyone says the QC2 sounds like it's worth a whole lot less than its selling price. It would be like auditioning KSC-75s and K701s side by side, the winner is obvious without any need for comparison. However, preference may still be a factor, as the DT880 tends toward slight leanness and "airy" rather than weighty bass. If you disliked its bass a lot with the music you listen to, just about anything might be better to you.

May 13, 2006 at 1:39 AM Post #8 of 11
I was just skimming old threads... And here's a question near and dear to me! I'm sure I will get laughed at, but the Bose QC2s and the Beyer DT880s are my two main headphones!

The DT880 fidelity is enormously higher.

Both are superb for comfort.

Both have amazing low bass performance.

I think of the QC2s as being upper-mid-fi cans. If you can take down the bass a little or boost the highs a little the level of fidelity improves dramatically. It's very easy to do even with just a bass or treble knob.

The DT880s are extremley hi-fi. You can get them to near-Orpheus quality by just turning a treble knob down a few decibels, IMHO. Or you can use a good digital EQ to really get a nearly perfect sound, IMHO. Or you can just use them as is and they are just superb rather than perfect. I really feel that I am getting extremely close to hearing the recording "as is" with my set-up, using just a dash of digital EQ. The sound to me is just plain perfect.

I use the QC2s on airplanes, or when the heat or or A/C is cranking, or when my 3 boys are making massive amounts of noise, or in a noisy hotel, or for portable use, or when I'm on vacation at someone else's home and don't want to ask them to tone it down so I can listen to some tunes. I can't stand IEMs for any number of reasons--they make my ears hurt, I can't just take them on and off quickly, they get dirty and nasty, they provide too much isolation for my lifestyle, etc. So I choose the QC2s (I got them from a Bose store a couple of years ago with a 90 day no-questions-asked return policy, and it was a close call because of the price). The QC2 is mid-fi and they are a bit flimsy and too expensive. You are paying for the comfort, the noise reduction, and the conveinience. For me they are worth it. My satisfaction with them has stood the test of time. I had one pair break on me and Bose gave me a new pair on the spot for free at a Bose store. Try that with Grado / Senn / Beyer / Sony / AKG etc. They are a long way from perfect, but they are the best there is for what they do, IMHO. In my experience, the wonderful customer service has helped to make up for the high price and marginal build quality.

I have maybe 20 headphones and all I use now is the QC2s and the DT880s, except when I'm testing gear or recordings I use Sony V6s or Senn HD280s.

Side by side, the obvious difference will be that the QC2s have a lot more bass and a lot less treble and just don't sound as realistic as the DT880s. But the QC2 sound is an enjoyable sound nonetheless, IMHO. It's sort of like comparing a nice car stereo to a nice home stereo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sfxjames

Sep 14, 2017 at 9:20 AM Post #9 of 11
Resurrecting an old post. Got to try a 250 ohm DT880 last weekend at a headphone store. Long story short, I was blown away by its clarity and sound stage. Instrument separation was great. Also got to try the Custom One Pro but the DT880 was leagues better (source was the store's fiio X5 - listened to mostly vocal jazz tracks). Though I've casually been into headphones for a few years now I was more into fun and "safe" relatively inexpensive cans such as the M50X. But my experience with the DT880 is making me think about upping my game :) I'm strongly considering getting a 32 ohm Dt880 to use with my computer and iphone. Question is, will the 32 ohm DT880 plugged directly to my gadgets produce the same, or relatively close sound as the 250 ohm version?--- good sound stage and clarity?? Unfortunately they didn't have a 32 ohm in stock for me to try. Also how do DT770s compare to the 880s?

Sep 14, 2017 at 9:29 AM Post #10 of 11
After Tyll's warning about 880.32, it can seem a bit scary to go after such a pair. Scared?? yes. But in all honesty, with experience with 440.32/660.32 they work smoothly with portable as well as a entry amp like fiio e11. But it seems with higher impedence ones, they generally hiss less/ blacker background is that the term lol ( I guess due to the extra damping??) The weirdest beyer dt100 (16ohm) is the best one i heard for background noise. Its dead silent. I thought the grim reaper was gonna pop up. I can only imagine the 2000ohm version. I think i saw a pic/ i know i didn't dream it or did I:smiling_imp:

https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/BeyerdynamicDT1002X2kOhm.pdf

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #11 of 11
Actually saw his video review of the dt880 32. Man, he really dislikes the 32 ohm dt880. But will the dt880 sound signature (plus the sound stage and clarity) be present in the 32 ohm version plugged directly to a basic sound source, unamped? Also at 32 ohms, Will the sound still improve significantly when amped?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back