DT860 vs AD900 vs HD595. Which one to get?!
Aug 24, 2007 at 5:15 PM Post #16 of 29
Nah, I should change that. It was defective (tubes started to arch), then I got replacement tubes. But then it happened again. So I got fed up and decided to just ignore it. It sits on my desk unused.

Aug 24, 2007 at 5:24 PM Post #17 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by pierreasdf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Be careful, if you can find a headphone making Dylan's voice sounds good ... there is surely something wrong with it!

LMAO True, True http://hfimage.head-fi.org/smilies/tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Aug 24, 2007 at 5:29 PM Post #18 of 29
Nah, I think it's the opposite. If you find a pair of phones that make Dylan sound bad.. then they are made by Coby, Apple, lower end Sony (ever listen to the NDR-V150? :: shiver :
smily_headphones1.gif
, or defective.

Aug 24, 2007 at 5:55 PM Post #19 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ciro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What exactly was boring about [the HD595]?

Hard to describe. It wasn't really neutral and detailling, but it didn't provide fun either. Worst of both worlds, with trivial sound as result. Never understood why it's so popular at headfi. It hasn't many followers in the german forum.

Aug 24, 2007 at 7:22 PM Post #21 of 29
I just discovered you can edit thread titles. So I am now stuck between the AD900, HD595, and DT860.

Aug 24, 2007 at 8:02 PM Post #22 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by muckluck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just discovered you can edit thread titles. So I am now stuck between the AD900, HD595, and DT860.

Never heared the DT860, but read lots of raving reviews putting it close to the superior DT880.

Audiotechnica, on the other hand, is a question of taste. Their "house sound" (except the A900/A950) tends to have some colorations in the upper mids. Not everybody's piece of cake. Works well with guitars & female singers, but sounds somewhat strange with male voices and synthesizers IMO.

Aug 24, 2007 at 11:11 PM Post #23 of 29
I just got the AD900 yesterday. They are fantastic without an amp; I'm even running it out of my PC. Vocals sound great and it brings out a lot of detail in songs. I recommend it, but I haven't heard the other two you're looking at.

Aug 25, 2007 at 2:02 PM Post #25 of 29
I had the 580s for awhile and didn't like them. Veiled, I think, is the correct word. And they required an amp. Don't know about the other Senns.

The AD900s to me sound so much better than the 580s. Not even in the same class. Even with an amp on the 580s. Just my opinion.

Mooch

Aug 30, 2007 at 3:05 PM Post #26 of 29
***Don't have huge headphone experience to make serious comparisons. Only personal experience on a few****

I don't listen to Bob Dylan or Tom Waits.

But I did try the HD595 and I now own a pair of AD900.

Personally, I didn't think the music was alive with the HD595, seemed dead.

I'm very happy with the AD900. For male voices I'm listening to Jamie Callum, Badly Drawn Boy, Celldweller, Guster, Velvet Revolver, NiN, Vast, Keane. And bunch others. But from the variety of Male Voices, so far the AD900 has exceeded all expectations. I've heard all the artists mentioned above live in concert, and listening to my music I can remember the concerts vivedly.

Hearing Keane's singer in concert, nothing like it. His voice is just so powerful, its amazing. Any recording of his voice doesn't do him justice. These phones are the closest thing I've found to that experience. ATM listening to Guster and Celldweller and loving it. I'll be trying out some trance later, Van Burren, BT, Sasha, Infected Mushroom and Above and Beyond.

E.S Posthumus sounds lovely on these. E.S Posthumus great to test out these. Its by 2 brothers, one studied in the studio, his production and programming is amazing. His brother studied music college. Sounds blends both choir, 80 peice orchestra and the electronic music. It all sounds great on these.

Sep 3, 2007 at 8:07 PM Post #27 of 29
So what headphones did you get?

And tell us how you fared!!! Give us a review with the male voices you so love.

^^ and pictures.

Feb 27, 2008 at 8:55 AM Post #28 of 29
I listened to the dt860 yesterday at a shop,and I was very impressed.I used to have an HD595 which was very,very good for games and movies,but not up to the task for music(compared to my HD600,that is),and I would definitely recommend the Beyers.They sounded great even with my N91,they are very easily driven.Very airy sound,fast and light,very detailed.Comfortable too.But everybody knows that HD595s are the kings of comfort,they really got that aspect right at least.

Mar 30, 2009 at 5:21 PM Post #29 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrysoberyl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I listened to the dt860 yesterday at a shop,and I was very impressed.I used to have an HD595 which was very,very good for games and movies,but not up to the task for music(compared to my HD600,that is),and I would definitely recommend the Beyers.They sounded great even with my N91,they are very easily driven.Very airy sound,fast and light,very detailed.Comfortable too.But everybody knows that HD595s are the kings of comfort,they really got that aspect right at least.

he man i bought the 595 too they come in tomorrow but know i am not sure if they are the right ones i mostly listen to house music and then the beyerdynamic dt 860 would be a lot better is what you are saying too right..?gr tim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back