dt770's vs 7509
Oct 10, 2002 at 11:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

bioxeed

100+ Head-Fier
g'day.. i've been lurking around here for a while now but decided to come out of hiding.. thought i'd do a quick comparison of these 2 headphones. I've had the 7509's for a while now but only recently got the 770's.

i've got both running from an OBH11 from my soundcard mainly(currently an audigy)

first off - comfort - the 7509 is a fair bit more comfortable for me except for the pads (don't like the pleather. much prefer the ones on the 770's). the biggest factor in the comfort for me is basically the band. the 7509's are somewhat longer so easily fit around my head. I find the 770's are much shorter so i have to wear them a bit differently. not entirely comfortable with them yet.

Construction - i'd have to give this to the sony's as well. damn things are built like a tank. the back of the cups are metal as is the whole headband setup. very very sturdy (they've suffered more than a few falls without any bother). the beyers while not exactly flimsy don't seem nearly as sturdy as the sony's.

Soundstage - 770's have a much much bigger one than the 7509s. unamped the 7509's had pretty much none at all. the amp helped ALOT in this area but still not nearly as much as wide as the 770's.

Bass - well this was no contest. the 770's have much deeper and much more visceral bass than the 7509's. not as boomy either. esp at higher volumes. the 7509 gets quite messy at higher volumes. I wouldn't call either very fast down in the low end though.

Mids - both phones are quite different in their midrange. the 770's are somewhat recessed while the 7509's are more forward. i also find the 7509's somewhat less detailed. it seems much easier to pick individual sounds with the 770's than with the 7509's.

Treble - initially the 770's were alot harsher, but now that they've burned in a bit they're easing up and getting to be much better. I still find the 770's to be a little harsher than the 7509's here though.

overall - for the majority of the music i listen to the 770's are hands down much nicer than the 7509's. definately much more fun
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 10, 2002 at 11:45 PM Post #2 of 4
Your comments on the 7509 is almost precisely what I thought of the MDR-V900 when I had owned that 'phone. The V900/7509 isn't exactly horrible, but it's not good either. Mired in mediocrity those Sonys are!
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

*cough* Dr. Craptastic is at it again!! *cough*

Users who are viewing this thread