DT770's Need A Portable Amp!
Jan 31, 2009 at 1:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Inquisitor

New Head-Fier
Well my beyers have barely made it out of the box they were shipped in
beyersmile.png
and now I need to find a portable headphone amp. I'm looking in the under $100 range. Used works great (if it works great
wink.gif
) So I'm searching around, reading reviews, etc. But I figured you guys might have some updated and more specific recommendations based on my music types and listening tendencies.

Real quick:
-I listen to a lot of electronic and metal typically. Though I often dip into everything from classical to rap.
-I do like a lot of bass (or the potential for it) which is one of the many reasons I picked up the DT770s.
-I don't mind it being a larger sized amp, as long as its not much bigger than my 80gb zune.
-Powered by rechargeable or non-rechargeable batteries is fine
-Under $100 (or really damned close)

Let me know what my options are with those requirements. I don't care if the thing is ugly as sin as long as it drives my phones without distorting or peripheral sound.

P.S. I know it won't sound as good as a nice $350 setup... but I've got the ball rolling with my broke amount of cash and the money is just burning a hole in my pocket. Cheers!
beerchug.gif

Jan 31, 2009 at 1:54 PM Post #2 of 11
I'd scope out the used market here for the cheapest RSA portable you can find. I used a Hornet M with the DT770 Pro/80 for a long time and thought the combination was really nice.

Feb 1, 2009 at 1:17 AM Post #4 of 11
Feb 1, 2009 at 7:15 AM Post #6 of 11
Why not just get a set of portable headphones like the Audio technica ES7's?

The problem with portable amps and not much cash is that to find a really nice one worth having around for under $100 becomes a challenge outside of the DIY world *Mini3 is a very nice sounding amp*. Plus, then you have to think about interconnects. If you have an iPod, you can wait for a dock for $25 or buy one from eBay for around the same price and supply your own mini cable.

If it was me, I would get another set of headphones for portable use and run the D770 off of your sound card.

Maybe that is just me though.

Feb 2, 2009 at 3:22 AM Post #7 of 11
A soundcard's headphone amplifier is not strong enough for a good headhone. not even for a dt770pro 80ohm one.
--

help me though, how can I get an rsa hornet in the uk?
I own a dt770 pro and I'm in a need of a good headphone amp. the hornet would do it fine, but I can't find one here (northern ireland)

thx 4 your help

Feb 2, 2009 at 4:20 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by selkin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A soundcard's headphone amplifier is not strong enough for a good headhone. not even for a dt770pro 80ohm one.

Yep, this is what I'm noticing as well. even at full volume on the computer, the sound is only about 50% as loud as with other phones. The other problem I'm having is when using the laptop's EQ. Because the audio is playing quietly already (on full volume) and the computer is having trouble powering it, then when I use the EQ something kind weird happens. Basically if I raise the EQ on one frequency, it actually quiets down the others. I believe this is because it's hitting a wall. It can only output so much power, so by say raising the bass, it doesn't really enhance the bass so much as quiet everything else. It's frustrating because it can sound so much better.

So I've decided what I need is an amp that'll provide the necessary boost to volume, so that the computer's EQ can go back to worrying about how to shape the sound.

Feb 3, 2009 at 1:53 PM Post #11 of 11
I'm going with a Mini3. Sounds like a great amp at an amazing price. It should more than suit me for the time being.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back