DT770 vs HD600
Jan 17, 2005 at 6:22 AM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by AL3X
any more opinions?

Sure. You're ugly, and your mother dresses you funny
wink.gif

Jan 17, 2005 at 7:06 AM Post #17 of 21
Yeah I own both of these cans. The DT770/80 is a good solid pair of closed headphones for the price, but because it's a closed design and whatever else, it cannot compete with the HD600 properly amped with upgraded leads for sound quality. I use the DT770 mainly for isolated listening and some specific music choices.

If you're still going down the unamped/cheaply amped road, then of the two the DT770/80 is probably a good bet if you want closed phones, but if you don't care about isolation then there are many other choices in that price range, e.g. HD580, MS-1, Grado SR-125/225 etc. I am more of a lie in bed, close the door and relish-the-music headphone listener, so the HD600s and SR-325s suit me fine for 95% of occasions.

Jan 17, 2005 at 1:20 PM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by commando
Sure. You're ugly, and your mother dresses you funny
wink.gif

icon10.gif
I hope he thinks your just kidding!
biggrin.gif

Jan 17, 2005 at 3:48 PM Post #21 of 21
If you don't have an amp, you really should look more into the HD555 or HD595 (depending on your budget). I use my 595s for everything. Gaming, music, movies, even for portable use sometimes. And while they do improve with an amp, they're far from horrible without one.

A lot of people will dismiss the 595 (and it's less expensive relatives as a result) as "dry", "boring", or even "cold". A common complaint seems to be a percieved lack of bass. This might be an issue right out of the box, but I can assure you, get the cans a couple dozen hours of burn in with some REAL heavy bass music (I used some stuff off the newest Skinny Puppy album and some Ken Ishii), and get it at a volume just a bit higher than you can stand listening to it at (not to the point of clipping, though, and this is where a decent amp can help). That opened up the bass for me quite nicely. Before it was there, and very tight and detailed, but didn't have a lot of impact. Now it's still quite fast and tight, but it has a lot more kick to it.

To quote Trevor from the aforementioned Seattle meet:
Quote:

Originally Posted by TrevorNetwork
Sennheiser HD595 - I suspect that those that purchase them expect to receive a headphone similar to the HD6xx series. Well, you're receiving a much better headphone, enjoy it!
biggrin.gif

I enjoy mine quite a lot.
orphsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back