dt770 vs hd598 (compare by listening to some provided mp3's)
Feb 18, 2013 at 10:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

billy5000

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I've been constantly changing my mind on which headphones to buy (dt 770 or hd 598). This is mainly the reason why I decided to finally ask some of you guys to help me finalize my decision. You don't realize how many times I added/deleted each headphones to/from my cart lol.

My primary use is at the library while studying in a quiet location.

I've been leaning towards the hd598, but I'm afraid it may leak too much noise. But at the same token, I only raise the volume 1-2 levels on my macbook, which I use as the source. This is the only reason why I haven't gotten the hd598's yet.

However, I also have my eyes on the dt 770 as an alternative. The only thing stopping me is that I prefer a neutral sound rather than its V shaped sound which I keep reading about.

Anyway, I decided to just leave it up to you guys to help me decide, which is by having you guys listen to a couple of the songs I'll provide. You don't necessarily have to own both headphones, but preferably at least one of them, or have a good idea if a good midrange headphones like 598 will sound better than a V shaped sound headphone, or vice versa.

http://hypem.com/track/1s6b9/Lana+Del+Rey+-+Video+Games+(Sound+Remedy+Remix)
@1:35 especially. I've listened to this part on my friend's bass heavy headphones (forgot which one), and it just doesn't do it justice like my neutral hd428. The synths and bass balance so much better on my 428.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wjq19g6EdSQ
Again, a bass heavy headphones seem to muddy up this song, and the piano sample doesn't sound as apparent.

Thanks.

Feb 19, 2013 at 2:58 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy5000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wjq19g6EdSQ
Again, a bass heavy headphones seem to muddy up this song, and the piano sample doesn't sound as apparent.

oooh this is one of my favorite songs, im a huge wiz khalifa fan btw.

floating on that chronic...floating on that chronic...im just floating on that chronic.....
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 19, 2013 at 3:14 AM Post #5 of 6
I have both the HD598s and the DT770 Pro LEs (32 Ohms).

If you're going to use the headphones at the library, you do not want to get the HD598s.  They're open cans and they leak A LOT and you're just going to piss off your fellow students.  I also have a Macbook Pro and running the cans directly through the Macbook at even volume 2 will be noticeable to people sitting near you.  If the 2 tracks you linked to are representative of the type of music you listen to, the bass was weaker than I liked at volume 2 on the HD598s.  If I were in your shoes I'd probably turn up the volume to get some more bass impact (which will only piss off your neighbors even more).

The 2 tracks sounded fine on my DT770 LEs and the bass didn't sound muddy at all.  I'd say that the DT770s don't get too muddy since the emphasis is more in the sub bass rather than mid bass.  I'd actually say that I preferred the sound on the DT770s on your tracks because I like to feel some bass impact when listening to hip hop and electronic music and the synths around 1:36 on Video Games sounded a little silibant on the HD598s.

I don't think I would consider myself a basshead (or, to be honest, an audiophile).  Most of the time I listen to jazz and old school hip hop (when rap still used to rhyme).

My $0.02:between the HD598 and DT770, I would recommend the DT770 Pro LEs for your purposes.  They're closed cans and will isolate sound really well for both you and your neighbors.   The LEs are only 32 Ohms so they can easily be driven through your Macbook.  For what it's worth, I've been told that the DT770 Pro LEs are a bit less bassy than the DT770 Pro 80 Ohms which may also be a plus for you.

Feb 19, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
I have both the HD598s and the DT770 Pro LEs (32 Ohms).

If you're going to use the headphones at the library, you do not want to get the HD598s.  They're open cans and they leak A LOT and you're just going to piss off your fellow students.  I also have a Macbook Pro and running the cans directly through the Macbook at even volume 2 will be noticeable to people sitting near you.  If the 2 tracks you linked to are representative of the type of music you listen to, the bass was weaker than I liked at volume 2 on the HD598s.  If I were in your shoes I'd probably turn up the volume to get some more bass impact (which will only piss off your neighbors even more).

The 2 tracks sounded fine on my DT770 LEs and the bass didn't sound muddy at all.  I'd say that the DT770s don't get too muddy since the emphasis is more in the sub bass rather than mid bass.  I'd actually say that I preferred the sound on the DT770s on your tracks because I like to feel some bass impact when listening to hip hop and electronic music and the synths around 1:36 on Video Games sounded a little silibant on the HD598s.

I don't think I would consider myself a basshead (or, to be honest, an audiophile).  Most of the time I listen to jazz and old school hip hop (when rap still used to rhyme).

My $0.02:between the HD598 and DT770, I would recommend the DT770 Pro LEs for your purposes.  They're closed cans and will isolate sound really well for both you and your neighbors.   The LEs are only 32 Ohms so they can easily be driven through your Macbook.  For what it's worth, I've been told that the DT770 Pro LEs are a bit less bassy than the DT770 Pro 80 Ohms which may also be a plus for you.

He's said it well. I've got both the HD598 and the DT770 (but the Pro 250 ohm version), and I think the DT770 would be the best for your purposes. I listened to your tracks and the Beyers are definitely more suited considering the music you are providing needs some bass impact to sound complete. The reason why I have both now is so that I can fill in sound capabilities that one headphone doesn't do well over the other. Definitely get the 32 or 80 ohm versions for your source because they'll be much more easily driven. However, read the thread in this forum on the sound signature of all the Beyers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back