DT770 vs HD595
Nov 26, 2004 at 7:40 PM Post #2 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattpwill
Hi,

I can get the Sennheiser HD595 and the Beyerdynamic DT770 for the same price. What's the best choice purely for sound quality?

Thanks,

Matt

Well, what will be the main purpose/type of sound (ie, music, games, movie) and also, what will be your source and do you have an amp?

The 595's are open and I would say if you are listening to music go for those. They are also easier to drive, so they would probably sound better if your source wasn't that hot and you don't have an amp.

On the other hand, if you are playing video games and watching dvds' and you want a strong lowend impact, the Beyers are the better choice. These are closed and will have a great positional sound for gaming. They are harder to drive though, and many suggest having an amp for these to shine. Hope this helps!

Nov 26, 2004 at 8:46 PM Post #3 of 17
Thanks for reply, sorry I wasnt specific enough!

I've got a Marantz SR6200 receiver with headphone out. Is this a reasonable headphone amplifier?

I listen to anything equally from floyd to massive attack to aretha franklin to Joni Mitchell, so all rounders would be best. I'm not particularly a bass fiend because it wrecks some music, but I'm assuming using the equaliser could overcome this?

I'm open to other suggestions too, but I'm not prepared to spend over £100 unless it's worth it. I've looked for good offers on the web and found the DT770's for £85 and HD595's for £95. If there are better deals out there, please let me know!

I was thinking of Grado's, but in the UK they're much more expensive than in the States.

Matt.

Nov 26, 2004 at 10:00 PM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Thanks for reply, sorry I wasnt specific enough!

I've got a Marantz SR6200 receiver with headphone out. Is this a reasonable headphone amplifier?

I listen to anything equally from floyd to massive attack to aretha franklin to Joni Mitchell, so all rounders would be best. I'm not particularly a bass fiend because it wrecks some music, but I'm assuming using the equaliser could overcome this?

I'm open to other suggestions too, but I'm not prepared to spend over £100 unless it's worth it. I've looked for good offers on the web and found the DT770's for £85 and HD595's for £95. If there are better deals out there, please let me know!

I was thinking of Grado's, but in the UK they're much more expensive than in the States.

Matt.

Well to be completely honest, I don't know about the marantz. I haven't ever had the pleasure to try one out, I don't personally know anyone who has one, and so I can not answer your question as to whether or not it is a good enough amp.

As for the decision between the 2, I personally like the sennheiser sound, so I am slightly biased towards them. I think if you can find a local audio shop that would allow you to try there cans out, you might be able to feel more comfortable in a decision. I don't think you would be disappointed with either one, and as for other cans, something like the Audiotechnica A900s, or AKG K501s are around that price range you listed (atleast here in the states, they are comparable to the first two cans you listed), so those might be other options you might look into. The AKG's are very detail oriented and many people on these boards enjoy them. The Audiotechnica's, well I don't know too much about them, but THIS is a good read that compares teh A900s to their little brother the A500s. Good luck. And definitely ask more questions if I am not specific enough. Others here have much more knowledge than I.
600smile.gif

Nov 27, 2004 at 1:27 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

I can get the Sennheiser HD595 and the Beyerdynamic DT770 for the same price. What's the best choice purely for sound quality?

I would get the HD 595, unless you need headphones that isolate. They are great versatile headphones that should work well from a receiver's headphone jack.

Nov 27, 2004 at 1:51 AM Post #6 of 17
If you like bass - DT-770
otherwise - HD-595 which is the better headphone of the two purely from a "sonic balance" point of view.

The DT-770 is more comfortable

The HD-595 has a nice headphone stand and I find it very comfy too

I found the HD-595 to be very nice for PC gaming (positional audio) - I know this conflicts with the first post in response to this thread but this is purely my experience

my biggest gripe with the HD-595 is the puny bass...try EQing it and it clips badly.

Nov 27, 2004 at 3:30 PM Post #9 of 17
I'm a bit hesitant to buy after recent posts about them improving the headphones for portable use, but I've made the decision to fork out for the HD595's. Thanks for all your help with making the choice!

Craig - You can get the DT770's for £85 delivered from www.proaudiostore.co.uk

Matt

Nov 27, 2004 at 5:17 PM Post #10 of 17
Matt, then where you can get 595 for around 85 pounds also?

Nov 28, 2004 at 2:01 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Veniogenesis
Check the post right above yours.
wink.gif

Wow. That is a low price.

That site doesn't have the Senns, and he said that they are 95 pounds. It is a low price though.

Nov 28, 2004 at 3:10 AM Post #13 of 17
Can't find any senn on that site either. Anyway please clarify that they're similar to Beyers you have in mind as 770's picture on that site looks like old version with black colored metal 'cupholder'.

Nov 28, 2004 at 4:42 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nak Man
Can't find any senn on that site either. Anyway please clarify that they're similar to Beyers you have in mind as 770's picture on that site looks like old version with black colored metal 'cupholder'.

Actually I think that's the current PRO version, the consumer version does have silver forks.

Nov 28, 2004 at 10:07 AM Post #15 of 17
Thanks for correction ! What's the difference between the two ... which pair have monstrous bass ? Kind of confusing with old models (880/990 ?) which have dark forks. And why have 990 if 880 are top of the line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back