DT770 vs. DT990 vs. K701 vs. Q701 vs. HD598
Apr 3, 2015 at 5:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

glomper99

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I need advice on buying a new pair of headphones. I used to have a pair of Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ω, but the cable on them broke, taking the driver out with it. These were powered via an Objective 2 Amp. I found the sound on these to be great, with the bass EVER SO SLIGHTLY lacking on certain songs. I found them to be comfortable for the 8+ hours a day I wore them, although the "headphone hair" was a slight issue.

My criteria are (in order of importance):
  1. Sound Quality - I listen to mostly rock / metal / electro swing, but I also listen to jazz and blues on occasion. I found my DT770s to be great for this, but a tad boring.
  2. Comfort - The headphones will be worn for around 8 hours a day, so comfort is an issue for me. However, I am willing to sacrifice some comfort if the sound quality justifies it.
  3. Price - My budget is a semi-flexible £150. Prices for the headphones in the title will be listed below.

Doing my own research, the headphones in the poll / title seem to be the forerunners for quality and comfort. I don't care for open or closed, just a great sound. I have found my curve preference to be somewhat flat.

Pricing for the poll / title headphones:

1. Beyerdynamic DT770 80Ω - £99.75
  2. Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ω - £101
  3. Beyerdynamic DT990 250Ω - £100
  4. AKG K702 - £146
  5. AKG Q701 - £165
  6. Sennheiser HD598 - £146

If you know of any better headphones for my price range, then please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

*edit* I should probably mention that the DT990 is the Pro version. The premium is outside of my budget.

Apr 3, 2015 at 6:12 AM Post #2 of 9
The DT990 is the best thing you're going to get for the money. IMO it is the best bang for your buck, ever. The comfort cannot be beaten, it is a fun headphone, and very detailed for it's price. If everything you listed, I have only NOT heard the K702.

Apr 3, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #5 of 9
I have the HD598's, and they are THE most comfortable headphones I've ever worn, IMO. Also have amazing sound-stage. If you are a basshead you may want to stay away, but it's plenty for me. I listen to mostly 70's proto metal, classic rock, and metal, and I love them.

They are open though, so if you use them at work, you may want to consider your co-workers.

I think you can get them for like $150 on amazon now, which is an amazing value given the sound you get. I also own VModa's M80's, ATH M50's, and Bluebud X's to name a few, and these 598's are my fave by far.

Apr 4, 2015 at 1:09 AM Post #6 of 9
  Hi,

I need advice on buying a new pair of headphones. I used to have a pair of Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ω, but the cable on them broke, taking the driver out with it. These were powered via an Objective 2 Amp. I found the sound on these to be great, with the bass EVER SO SLIGHTLY lacking on certain songs.

Most open headphones don't hit as hard (in the bass) as closed-back headphones, so if you want more bass than DT770 250 Ohm, you might consider the 80 Ohm version that's probably a little bit more bassy (not much of a difference anyway, both have strong bass)
Open headphones are better in terms of overall sound quality (smoother frequency response, bigger soundstage/more instrument separation, and so on...)

HD598, K701/2, Q701 have much less bass quantity than DT770, if you find DT770 boring, best chances are you're going to find these headphones really boring.

DT990 should do the trick for you, it's a very nice headphone, feed them with recordings that are not terribly bright and call it a day: very nice soundstage, full bass, lively treble, vibrant lower mids, ...

You could also read about the Soundmagic HP200
http://noblehifi.blogspot.com.ar/2013/05/soundmagic-hp200-review.html

Best Luck!

Apr 4, 2015 at 4:20 AM Post #7 of 9
+1 for DT990; maybe check out the Audio Technica ATH-A700x?

Apr 4, 2015 at 9:03 AM Post #8 of 9
The Soundmagic HP200s and Audio Technica A700xs are outside of my budget. I'm currently leaning towards either the HD 598 or the DT 990 Pro, though from what I have read, it's hard to go wrong with either.

Apr 4, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #9 of 9
  The Soundmagic HP200s and Audio Technica A700xs are outside of my budget. I'm currently leaning towards either the HD 598 or the DT 990 Pro, though from what I have read, it's hard to go wrong with either.

That's up to you. These are very different headphones.
DT990s are "fun": bright, lively, punchy.
HD598s are smooth, not as detailed and have less bass (more neutral in the big scheme of things)
DT990s are german made and really solid. Not so much the HD598, but if you take care of them there's nothing to worry about.
Both are comfortable.
HD598 works very well with portable devices, DT990 needs a heaadphone amplifier to sound its best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back