DT770 vs DT531?
Jul 29, 2004 at 8:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

JeffL

500+ Head-Fier
Okay, help me out here.

I PMed Superman's Ears on Sunday morning asking about the DT531s, and I would love to get a pair, however since then I have been having doubts (of course!). (Sorry to Superman if you were expecting payment right away!!)

What I am really unsure of is how similar (or different) the DT531s would sound compared to the DT770s? Plus, the 531s are open, and I've never owned a pair of open cans before.

Thanks in advance
580smile.gif

Jul 29, 2004 at 9:14 AM Post #2 of 11
The two headphones sound radically different, and yet are both fun in their own ways, but I happen to prefer the DT770. I dont need to tell you about the DT770 since you already know, but the DT531, when powered from a suitably powerful amp is still a bassy headphone, but its bass is not so overwhelming. For starters it wont go as deep as the DT770, but the midbass of the DT531, if anything, with the right amp, punches maybe even harder than the DT770, and has less overhang, resulting in a faster sound.

The trebles of the DT531 are still what I'd class on the bright side, and are perhaps similar to the DT770, this aspect of it I am not sure about because its been a while since I had the 770. However, if anything, the DT531 probably overall sounds brighter and clearer, because the midrange is not so recessed. Detail levels are broadly similar, as are dynamics. The mids of the DT531 are probably still slightly recessed, but nowhere near as much so as the 770.

The DT531's are probably more forgiving sounding (they make dull recordings sound livelier, and really bright recordings are still listenable), and theres absolutely no doubt that the DT531's are more comfortable than the 770 - the headband actually fits my head, does not give me scalp burn and does not clamp as badly.

HTHs

Jul 29, 2004 at 4:36 PM Post #4 of 11
I will have to disagree with Paul on a few points, also as a former DT770 owner (though perhaps not for long) and current DT531 owner. Of course the DT531 has less bass overall, and not the extension of the DT770, I would also say that it doesn't hit as hard. The DT531 has a nice quick slam, but it is not a HEAVY slam the way the DT770 and Grado PS1 have (perhaps the CD3K and HD650 with the right amp/source). I am not sure if I'd call the DT531 bassy, it certainly is not overly so, but it is also definitely not thin, so I'd say it's just a touch on the bassy side of neutral.

The mids are probably comparable to the DT770, except that they are easier to hear since the bass is not so huge. The highs are a bit less detailed and more forgiving than I recall the DT770 sounding (at least the 250 and 600 ohm versions, the 80 was another matter), so sibilance doesn't come out as sharp and annoying sounding. The DT531 is also a bit on the bright side of neutral, though not by a lot.

All this, and I still can't say for sure whether the DT531 would be up your alley. If you can get used to the lessened bass, you may like them quite a bit as a different sounding alternative to your bass monsters
biggrin.gif

Jul 29, 2004 at 5:23 PM Post #5 of 11
Might be an amp thing ID, I have noticed a fairly dramatic rise in bass slam since I started using the Rega Ear. God only knows what the DT770 may sound like on the Rega Ear!!

Jul 29, 2004 at 6:13 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
If you can get used to the lessened bass, you may like them quite a bit as a different sounding alternative to your bass monsters

<smirk> <teeth sucking sound>

Get used to the lessened bass?
blink.gif

Jul 29, 2004 at 7:28 PM Post #8 of 11
Thx guys!

LOL, certainly not on the cans for their bass, but I don't not want bass either. Present but not overpowering is what I'd like. And something with more texture and musicality than the 770s did. Less harsh in the treble is always a plus.

I think the 531s will be great. Now I just have to find my wallet...
eggosmile.gif

Jul 29, 2004 at 9:20 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by ampgalore
If memory serves, Iron Dreamer has some top notch amps, far heftier than the Rega Ears.

Here we go again
rolleyes.gif

You sir, are one very sad person. You reply to all my threads in a condescending manner and theres no need for it quite frankly. You probably havent heard any of the products you so dearly want to slag off.

Congratulations on being the first member in over 2 years to my ignore list. I cannot be bothered with you any more, you sad, pathetic loser.

Jul 29, 2004 at 11:01 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffL
Thx guys!

LOL, certainly not on the cans for their bass, but I don't not want bass either. Present but not overpowering is what I'd like. And something with more texture and musicality than the 770s did. Less harsh in the treble is always a plus.

I think the 531s will be great. Now I just have to find my wallet...
eggosmile.gif

Based on that description, I think the DT531 will be right up your alley.

Ampgalore, indeed I've had some killer amps in my day, though I would downplay Paul's reported synergy of the Rega and DT531. Seems to me the Rega might have that effect (increased percieved bass slam) on all cans. Comparing the DT770 (or other powerful bass cans like the PS1) and DT531 on the same amp, I'd be pretty willing to be the 531 would have less slam. It is powerful, but not crushing, the way the DT770 can be (which I personally like for certain things).

Jul 29, 2004 at 11:02 PM Post #11 of 11
I agree with Iron Dreamer on this one. The DT531s are not "bassy". It's there, it's enough for me, it's pleasant and fast, but not a boomy set of cans on my limited equipment. I've never heard the Rega Ear, but hopefully Texas will get there meet up soon. I'd love to hear it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back